PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Free Tuition at Stanford

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Free Tuition at Stanford

Postby Topper » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015 ... e-tuition/

I wonder how many of the kids who get free tuition will turn out to be walk ons?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Free Tuition at Stanford

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 am

Good for Stanford-exceptional kids who are getting a chance. They can certainly afford it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:49 am

Topper wrote:http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015/04/02/3642085/stanford-free-tuition/

I wonder how many of the kids who get free tuition will turn out to be walk ons?

Have you ever wondered how Yale won the National Championship in Hockey playing in the same division as the B10? Why is Harvard football so strong?

A few years ago, Yale and Harvard made the decision (backed by their enormous financial resources) to offer "No Loan" financial aid packages to most incoming freshman. Although there are income limits (similar to Stanford's), the vast majority of American families qualify.

Although they didn't do it for athletic reasons, the policy came with a pleasant side effect on their sports programs.

1) Let's say a kid is good enough to play at a G5 school. Let's say that kid has strong academics and cares about getting his degree.
2) They can offer him a financial aid package that is very competitive with a "full ride" from schools like Boise St, NMSU, East Carolina, or Memphis.

For non-revenue sports (which even P5 schools don't fund full schollys for every player), they can offer more "full rides" than B10 programs can.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Stallion wrote:Good for Stanford-exceptional kids who are getting a chance. They can certainly afford it

I think Rice was free for anyone who could get in for years. My question about these schools is this: Can they get around the scholarship limits if one of these qualifiers walks on?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Topper wrote:
Stallion wrote:Good for Stanford-exceptional kids who are getting a chance. They can certainly afford it

I think Rice was free for anyone who could get in for years. My question about these schools is this: Can they get around the scholarship limits if one of these qualifiers walks on?

Because they aren't giving "athletic scholarships," they can give out as many as they want.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:11 pm

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2015/02/22 ... -stanford/

This editorial opines that Stanford footballers, smarter than most in the NCAA, still fall into the lower quartile or possible lower ten percent of all students enrolled. So it would be interesting to know how many walkons there are and whether they mirror the student population as a whole - or the football team as a whole. If they mirror the football team as a whole I would argue that this is problematic.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:39 pm

With all of the Unbridled money we should be pretty good at football.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:18 am

Topper wrote:http://www.stanforddaily.com/2015/02/22/the-price-of-athletics-at-stanford/

This editorial opines that Stanford footballers, smarter than most in the NCAA, still fall into the lower quartile or possible lower ten percent of all students enrolled. So it would be interesting to know how many walkons there are and whether they mirror the student population as a whole - or the football team as a whole. If they mirror the football team as a whole I would argue that this is problematic.

I think the interesting situation (it applies to all sports including non-revenue sports like golf) that could occur might go like this:
1) Coach gets Player A into the school as a recruited athlete with a scholarship offer;
2) After 1 year, the coach pulls the athletic scholarship (bad coach); however, the kid's family situation means he/she can attend Stanford for free.
3) Will the NCAA let that player continue to compete as a walk-on? If so, Stanford could boost the number of scholarship level players it has significantly.

In particular, the strategy could be very effective in sports like Baseball and Track. In those sports, partial scholarships are the norm due to NCAA scholarship limits that are well below the number of players on the team.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 pm

An FBS program has a limited number of walk-ons. In baseball, you can only have 35 on your roster. Not sure what the number is in football. At an Ivy, to be on the team you have to fall into certain qualification categories. You can only have a couple players that are "low qualifiers" and it's relative to the overall student body profile. Therefore, Harvard's athletes are going to be stronger academically than Cornell's.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:35 am

I don't think that is true AFTER the first day of class. 85 scholarships +10 to 15 walkons can be on roster on day camp opens but after school starts more can be added.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Prince is dead.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Stanford Alum?
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Hopefully the Purple Reign is over too

Stallion

Postby smustatesman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:16 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Stanford Alum?

Yes. He was Lamont's brother, if one adds a "T".
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Stallion wrote:I don't think that is true AFTER the first day of class. 85 scholarships +10 to 15 walkons can be on roster on day camp opens but after school starts more can be added.

Not sure about football, but baseball is set at 35 all season. A friend's kid was trying to walk on to a top Div I program and after playing with them all fall was told he didn't make the 35 man roster cut and couldn't practice with the team. Again, maybe different for football but guess there's a limit to walk-ons in addition to the 85 'ships.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football