PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IPF

Postby NTXCoog » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Question about the SMU IPF plans... we've seen a much higher price tag for the SMU plans than the UH plans. is it IPF only or does it have additional plans like operations offices?

For example, look at UAB. There were announcements of a $22.5 million IPF, but it was primarily an operations building with a $4 million practice field covered by a tarp on 4 poles.

Let's hope that SMU or UH never do something like that, but it does bring up the question of comparing apples to apples. UH is building an IPF scheduled to be completed in 2017. Next the plan is for a separate football operations building for 2018 (see football improvements images at the link).

Just wanting to learn more about SMU's plan
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 pm

SMU's plan is to blow up the soccer field and parking lot and then:

Indoor practice facility on the north side running east/west.
Outdoor football practice field running east/west 10 yards to the south of the IPF.
Soccer field move to Pettus (current football practice field)...will need some field leveling.

IPF will have a 100yard practice football field with a track around it. Outside will be traditional SMU brick building look. There will be some stands...enough for maybe 400 people but there's not a ton of space for much else. I have heard there may be a downstairs track straightaway to be used by SMU biomechanics lab for sports/running research (some special flooring or force plates or something).

There were renderings they showed to football kids. If you go an SMU camp, walk around the football building and maybe you'll see them somewhere. What I mentioned was phase1. There is also a phase2 where I think they were planning for an additional weight room and possibly some more offices but memory is fuzzy on that.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

IPF

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Pretty much spot on. The price tag for ours is around $50mm now.

That includes the new soccer stadium, as I understand it.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:04 pm

Page 10.......yawn
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:13 am

I couldn't agree more. This thing ain't gettin done any time soon. Enjoy your facilities ntxcoog
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 am

NTXCoog wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:If my family's name was .ownby, I would donate money to demand lush that crumbling piece of ... I am honestly surprised that we were able to bring it up to code in 1989 #collapse

Ford us an entirely new stadium.

And yet the Hofheinz family and foundation were upset about the condition of the basketball arena as stated in their suit, but they weren't willing to provide any funding to maintain/improve it to honor his name. In fact, they wanted money given to them.

The situation was very different:
1) Ownby wasn't a real stadium. It was 1/4 of a real stadium built in 1926 that was largely abandoned in favor of the Cotton Bowl 60 years before it was eventually demolished.
2) I could be wrong, but I doubt that there are any Ownby family members that gave a ... about tearing it down.
3) Adding luxury boxes and a bigger TV monitor to The Fallout Shelter is not the same thing.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Stallion wrote:The last I heard the UH regents had only approved a design process-which SMU has already done-but they didn't have the funding yet. Coaches lie all the time in recruiting season. I don't think they have given final OK and haven't started building yet

Follow up: UH to begin construction on indoor facility

"The Houston board of regents gave the OK to move ahead with the $20 million project with completion expected before the 2017 season."

"Construction on an indoor football practice facility will begin after the upcoming season, Houston athletic director Hunter Yurachek said Thursday."

"Funding for the indoor facility will come from private donations."
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Will come or has come?
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:22 pm

Rumor I read is that the owner of Landry's Fertitta(?) is donating $20 Million and announcement might come this week
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Basketball
smupony94

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Need to build yhat IPF asap
Last edited by Pony Boss on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 am

Stallion wrote:Rumor I read is that the owner of Landry's Fertitta(?) is donating $20 Million and announcement might come this week

Flush with [even more now than before] cash from the UFC deal?
RGV Pony

Postby mtrout » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 am

NTXCoog wrote:
Stallion wrote:The last I heard the UH regents had only approved a design process-which SMU has already done-but they didn't have the funding yet. Coaches lie all the time in recruiting season. I don't think they have given final OK and haven't started building yet

Follow up: UH to begin construction on indoor facility

"The Houston board of regents gave the OK to move ahead with the $20 million project with completion expected before the 2017 season."

"Construction on an indoor football practice facility will begin after the upcoming season, Houston athletic director Hunter Yurachek said Thursday."

"Funding for the indoor facility will come from private donations."

Called it. Cue SMU reactionary activities.

""It will be done much sooner than December 2017," Yurachek said. "Our hope is that this facility is available for our team to use in September 2017 as they prepare for next year.""

"We're going to give our athletic department all the tools it needs," UH board of regents chairman Tilman Fertitta said. "We're going to be competitive with anybody in this country. That's just the next step. There's more to come."
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby NTXCoog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 am

RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Rumor I read is that the owner of Landry's Fertitta(?) is donating $20 Million and announcement might come this week

Flush with [even more now than before] cash from the UFC deal?

Wrong Fertitta for UFC. That's Lorenzo, his 3rd cousin.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby NTXCoog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:11 am

That was for naming rights for the basketball arena.
NTXCoog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football