PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another Day Another Baylor Rape Story

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm

So the school knew about allegations against Oakman as far back as 2013.

You really do have to love the irony of SMU getting the death penalty for paying players while Baylor has covered up murder and sexual assault here in the last 15 years with nary a scratch on them. What a beautiful NCAA world we live in.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016 ... 2013.html/
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Another Day Another Baylor Rape Story

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Still don't understand why SMU hasn't ever lawyered up and come after the sinister ncaa. Is it because they might hate us even more and REALLY go selective enforcement on us? They've been hammering us for over 5 decades and we continually just bend over and take it. I don't get it. Hit em back just once for God's sake!
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Administrators have careers in this stuff, so they think differently than you or I. Its all about the next job.
gostangs

Postby dcpony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:49 am

Pretty much.

"As I said last September, it's not just Art Briles who should be in trouble over these incidents -- it's school president Ken Starr too. If Ken Starr would go to the ends of the earth to find out if Bill Clinton lied about getting a [deleted], don't you think he ought to at least try and keep his football players from raping fellow Baylor students?

So far he hasn't.

The fact that this isn't a bigger story proves how lazy and dumb most fans and media really are."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ing-042516
dcpony
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:41 am

StallionsModelT wrote:So the school knew about allegations against Oakman as far back as 2013.

You really do have to love the irony of SMU getting the death penalty for paying players while Baylor has covered up murder and sexual assault here in the last 15 years with nary a scratch on them. What a beautiful NCAA world we live in.

Although I hate to defend Baylor about anything, there are enough real problems at that place that we don't need to blame the school for everything.

1) There is an enormous difference between a rape charge and a misdemeanor domestic violence case;
2) It is very likely that BU didn't learn about the incident until recently: (a) if the incident happened in an off campus apartment (many Baylor students live off campus to avoid the draconian dorm rules), it is likely that the Waco police did not notify BU of their investigation and (b) there is nothing in the story to suggest that the victim was a BU student and/or that she filed a complaint with the school.

BTW - I am sure that Baylor alums are proud to know that they are providing men like Oakman degrees that include "Leisure Studies" in the title.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dcpony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Digetydog wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:So the school knew about allegations against Oakman as far back as 2013.

Although I hate to defend Baylor about anything, there are enough real problems at that place that we don't need to blame the school for everything.

1) There is an enormous difference between a rape charge and a misdemeanor domestic violence case;
2) It is very likely that BU didn't learn about the incident until recently: (a) if the incident happened in an off campus apartment (many Baylor students live off campus to avoid the draconian dorm rules), it is likely that the Waco police did not notify BU of their investigation and (b) there is nothing in the story to suggest that the victim was a BU student and/or that she filed a complaint with the school.

BTW - I am sure that Baylor alums are proud to know that they are providing men like Oakman degrees that include "Leisure Studies" in the title.

I think his point is that there seems to be a pattern of this behavior and the coaches, admins et al at Baylor are sweeping all of it under the rug just as long as they keep winning.
dcpony
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 pm

dcpony wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

I think his point is that there seems to be a pattern of this behavior and the coaches, admins et al at Baylor are sweeping all of it under the rug just as long as they keep winning.

I agree with his point; however, I don't think this incident bolsters it.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Why throw stones in a glass house.
SMU had 13 reported rapes as far back as 2006 during one year
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:21 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Why throw stones in a glass house.

Exactly!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:29 pm

?
smusic 00

Postby mtrout » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Does that mean this is all Bennett's fault?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby RebStang » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Why throw stones in a glass house.

How many of those involved athletes and how many were covered up by SMU officials?
RebStang
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Yes, because the issue isn't the crime, it's the reaction.
smusic 00

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:07 am

Yes. For all its faults, SMU has consistently tried to comply with its obligation to investigate the accusations & to give the accused a fair hearing. Did they get it right 100% of the time? No. Schools aren't great at adjudicating these type of cases.

But, Baylor ignored and covered up rapes by their FB team.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football