PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Detailed SBNation SMU 2016 Football Preview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Detailed SBNation SMU 2016 Football Preview

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:50 pm

Title :"...Crazy-fun, Dangerous, and Probably About 4-8 in 2016"

That's pretty much the way I see it but the "crazy fun" and "dangerous" are really only describing the Offense-author also I think correctly points out that there may be little tangible improvement on Defense because of youth, inexperience and lack of talent

a lot of information in here and pretty accurate as far as these Previews go

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ule-roster
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Detailed SBNation SMU 2016 Football Preview

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 pm

I can see anywhere from a repeat of 2-10 to possibly 6-6. It really depends on how much improvement the defense makes as the season progresses and if we can remain relatively healthy. 4-8 is a very fair assessment and would set the stage for a breakout 6-8 win season in 2017. Then it gets really fun from there.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby malonish » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Yeah.

YEAH!
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby knuckleup » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 am

With the same "run around like a chicken with you head off" qb, I see little improvement. Likely win 2-3 as strength of schedule is down from last year. SMU is simply just not attractive to prospective recruits and clearly, even with the string on of 4 winning seasons, the fans simply aren't showing up. I'll be cheering my boys on with the ladies as always though.
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 am

Chad Morris' last Class had approximately 4 times more offers per recruit than the last class of your hero. The lack of talent you describe is squarely at the foot of June Jones
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:26 am

Connelly always does pretty good previews.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 am

That WAS a pretty good one. About what I predict for the season. I think our Dline will be a little better and MAYBE even our secondary but our LBs (and youth in the secondary) still is absolutely bottoms. We need to recruit a few Tank Reeds (and maybe one over 5'10"). He's my favorite LB post-DP and probably one of our best since then also (kid had wheels and was nasty -- if we was 6'2"/6'3" he would have been an All American candidate, and probably would not have been at SMU). :-)
ojaipony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:00 am

knuckleup wrote:With the same "run around like a chicken with you head off" qb, I see little improvement. Likely win 2-3 as strength of schedule is down from last year. SMU is simply just not attractive to prospective recruits and clearly, even with the string on of 4 winning seasons, the fans simply aren't showing up. I'll be cheering my boys on with the ladies as always though.

Matt davis can perform at the exact same level he did this year and the offense will still be more productive. 4 wins were obtainable last year so your prediction of 2-3 with an easier schedule seems a little low. You seem to equate 7-5 and 11-1 as the same because they're "winning". No one cares to come to see smu beat up Tulane to get to a bowl.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby footballdad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
knuckleup wrote:With the same "run around like a chicken with you head off" qb, I see little improvement. Likely win 2-3 as strength of schedule is down from last year. SMU is simply just not attractive to prospective recruits and clearly, even with the string on of 4 winning seasons, the fans simply aren't showing up. I'll be cheering my boys on with the ladies as always though.

Matt davis can perform at the exact same level he did this year and the offense will still be more productive. 4 wins were obtainable last year so your prediction of 2-3 with an easier schedule seems a little low. You seem to equate 7-5 and 11-1 as the same because they're "winning". No one cares to come to see smu beat up Tulane to get to a bowl.

........."No one cares".......

Chad has no idea what he's up against. Hopefully his naivety and passion stay ahead of the reality for a few more years.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:31 pm

I'll be happy if we get back to the days of making a bowl while still having a coach that's motivated
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I love watching people that don't understand how a program transitions from losing to winning and vice versa. Right on schedule-SMU is stair-stepping up. Just like June's fall was predicted years before it occurred as the program was stair-stepping down. We should start seeing definite signs of stair-stepping up on Offense this year-not on Defense though

Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Stallion wrote:I love watching people that don't understand how a program transitions from losing to winning and vice versa. Right on schedule-SMU is stair-stepping up. Just like June's fall was predicted years before it occurred as the program was stair-stepping down. We should start seeing definite signs of stair-stepping up on Offense this year-not on Defense though

Yeah. Four wins this year and definitely more than six next year. This is gonna be fun.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:54 pm

we need a QB for 2017 though-I'm not sure our starting QB is on campus. Biggest void on the roster-the Guy at QB who can take us to a bowl-otherwise I like the progression at every offensive position

Stallion

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Stallion wrote:we need a QB for 2017 though-I'm not sure our starting QB is on campus. Biggest void on the roster-the Guy at QB who can take us to a bowl-otherwise I like the progression at every offensive position

Have hicks and Colbert consistently looked bad? Colbert looked alright in game time and I've seen some very good qbs have sub par spring games so I don't think the jury is exactly out on hicks
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Next

Return to Football