PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hey, at least we aren't Idaho

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hey, at least we aren't Idaho

Postby smupony94 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I think for hosting a conference title game we could get 30K at Ford. We had 35K for our bowl game against Army.

Weird I remember empty seats
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun May 01, 2016 8:34 pm

smupony94 wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:I think for hosting a conference title game we could get 30K at Ford. We had 35K for our bowl game against Army.

That was one of the only games I've been to at Ford where the stadium seemed completely full.
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 pm

SMU and Army each had an allotment of 10,000 to the Armed Forces Bowl-and for a Championship Game you only get a week to sell tickets. Bowl sponsor always take a large percentage of bowl tickets
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Mon May 02, 2016 6:11 am

Let's go down the list of teams in the east. UCF, ECU, Temple. Uconn. They'd bring what a couple of hundred plus the band travels for CCG. Navy would bring a good amount. Other than that, it'd be not unlike our CCG showing at UCF. We had the band plus the usual travel group. Maybe a few more. 22-24000 if one was ever at Ford sounds about right unfortunately. Assuming, like someone said, the weather is nice, there's not a high school playoff conflict etc.
RGV Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 02, 2016 6:17 am

Just shut it down
The whole thing. Save the pain and shut the whole athletic department down and make all sports club.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon May 02, 2016 7:34 am

Smu lacrosse style
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Mon May 02, 2016 8:07 am

RGV Pony wrote:Let's go down the list of teams in the east. UCF, ECU, Temple. Uconn. They'd bring what a couple of hundred plus the band travels for CCG. Navy would bring a good amount. Other than that, it'd be not unlike our CCG showing at UCF. We had the band plus the usual travel group. Maybe a few more. 22-24000 if one was ever at Ford sounds about right unfortunately. Assuming, like someone said, the weather is nice, there's not a high school playoff conflict etc.

Navy is in the West. Our conference does not know where Annapolis, MD is located.
CalallenStang

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon May 02, 2016 8:32 am

One Trick Pony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 am

CalallenStang wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

That was one of the only games I've been to at Ford where the stadium seemed completely full.

I don't recall it that way. Good house but my buddy and I definitely didn't have to sit in our assigned seats
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon May 02, 2016 10:03 am

Maybe we should try making it to the championship game before we try and anticipate attendance...
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon May 02, 2016 10:47 am

One Trick Pony wrote:In 1982 attendance jumped from 23000 to nearly 50,000

Think about that. We had one of the best football teams in the country if not in the history of college football and attendance "jumped" to 50,000. Ohio St. had over 100,000 at their Spring Game this year.

Say what you will, but I am good with SMU being a basketball school and playing FCS football if that is what it comes to. At least we will be able to dictate our game times instead of ESPN which would make it a lot more enjoyable for the small fanbase that we do have.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am

Blunt Pony wrote:

Think about that. We had one of the best football teams in the country if not in the history of college football and attendance "jumped" to 50,000. Ohio St. had over 100,000 at their Spring Game this year.

Say what you will, but I am good with SMU being a basketball school and playing FCS football if that is what it comes to. At least we will be able to dictate our game times instead of ESPN which would make it a lot more enjoyable for the small fanbase that we do have.

Dream on. Football is what drives everything. If you want to collapse SMU into irrelevance then go right ahead and why not just drop to div 3 like UTD. Stop speaking nonsense, the goal is to move up in FBS and Football will lead the way. Basketball is a good past time while things get set on the gridiron. I trust Chad.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon May 02, 2016 11:22 am

CalallenStang wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:Let's go down the list of teams in the east. UCF, ECU, Temple. Uconn. They'd bring what a couple of hundred plus the band travels for CCG. Navy would bring a good amount. Other than that, it'd be not unlike our CCG showing at UCF. We had the band plus the usual travel group. Maybe a few more. 22-24000 if one was ever at Ford sounds about right unfortunately. Assuming, like someone said, the weather is nice, there's not a high school playoff conflict etc.

Navy is in the West. Our conference does not know where Annapolis, MD is located.

Even better! Ha
RGV Pony

Postby SMUer » Mon May 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Are 1982 and 2016 Dallas even that comparable? ESPN was a shell of what it is now, no constant coverage/hyping, no Nike uniforms, no fantasy football craze, no NCAA/Madden Football; Dallas county population has nearly doubled since 1980s, to say nothing of the suburbs, who have converted from rural/agricultural to suburbinite middle-class.
SMUer

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon May 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
Blunt Pony wrote:

Dream on. Football is what drives everything. If you want to collapse SMU into irrelevance then go right ahead and why not just drop to div 3 like UTD. Stop speaking nonsense, the goal is to move up in FBS and Football will lead the way. Basketball is a good past time while things get set on the gridiron. I trust Chad.

Football at SMU has never driven anything except a few people out the front door
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football