PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Ponies Up For Community Ticket Program

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Ponies Up For Community Ticket Program

Postby smusic 00 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:34 pm

I think it was three or four games. Multiple seasons, well one was halftime with the big horseys.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Got nothing but love for my SUV brothers just having some fun
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat May 07, 2016 6:36 am

I think it was a Navy game. Best rendition I have ever heard.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 07, 2016 9:21 am

Say what you want about JJ and I'll probably agree. I will give him credit for one thing - he had the right Island.

Last edited by One Trick Pony on Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

Welcome Home June
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 07, 2016 9:24 am

smupony94 wrote:Welcome Home June

Oh snap you beat me to it till I could code it
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Grid Iron Madman » Mon May 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Cynicism seems to be running high. I applaud these efforts. I hope it is not just a "One-Off." Small, private schools have much to overcome. We have enough excuses. It is understandable if our attendance issues don't get fixed, just not acceptable to any red-blooded Mustang worth his salt. Dallas is a winner's town. Winning obviously will help, but I don't think we have the luxury of waiting for this to happen and just hope. The status quo is not sustainable.

Let's have some perspective, things are already changing dramatically. In a little more than a year, Coach Morris has put SMU back on the recruiting map where it belongs, in Texas. Recruiting, Outreach, Camps, Engagement are all monumentally improved. Momentum is a precious thing.

Clearly, not enough people are convinced SMU football is worth their support (either in time, money or value(experience) received. Needless to say, the Event must Easy, Well-Run/Organized, Worthwhile/Entertaining and Affordable. All the boxes have to be checked. Winning will change things, but for now not enough people will come just for the game. Love of Alma Mater only goes so far for too few. Experience needs to be more than just the Game.

Going to a game starts and stops with relationships (I include traditions within this definition). Either with a buddy, family, date, group from work, clients, etc. We need to appeal to all these natural constituencies. SMU has many existing community relationships to leverage. Our Dallas location, Campus setting, Blvd atmosphere, Bush Library, Meadows Museum, Fondren/Degolyer, Collins Exec Center, etc. provide unique venues/experiences to host the Dallas community.

I see the Kid's Ticket program as a natural extension of a SMU Education department network to reach families. Relationships exist with teachers and school administrators all over Dallas. Use some aspect of our campus as a resource for a pre-game education department function with the game as a celebratory, concluding event for a learning/experiential day.

Likewise, Cox has relationships with employers, industry groups, associations, etc. Host seminars, speakers, industry conferences, etc. Invite companies who would benefit not only from the Day's agenda but also from networking with other attendees and/or presenters. Be it customers, vendors, peers. Endless types of groups to assemble. The Game is an opportunity to continue to build relationships with individuals it is important for you to know.

Perkins, Meadows, Dedman Law, name your program, all are deeply interwoven into the Dallas community and could build similar bridges. Formats, group mix, timing, venues all may need to change to get to something that works, importantly works for the people attending.

Nothing proposed is revolutionary or probably even new, but building bridges and making Game-Day more meaningful/valuable to more people has to be part of the solution. Maybe just need more frequent, bigger and consistent events from more groups. Any efforts will have to be long term, consistent and led by engaged leadership. Hard to make work. Easy to take (fall) apart. Few would argue SMU has many relationships to build upon. Just need to find the right formula to leverage.
SMU Grid Iron Madman
Recruit

Postby PlanoStang » Mon May 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Bush Library :!:

Yup, use that as a package to get schools to bus their kids to a gameday tour of the Bush Library
along with mandatory attendance to the football game. Coincide that with band, and drill team
day for the same schools, and you might fill up the Liberty game :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 pm

SMU Grid Iron Madman wrote:Cynicism seems to be running high. I applaud these efforts. I hope it is not just a "One-Off." Small, private schools have much to overcome. We have enough excuses. It is understandable if our attendance issues don't get fixed, just not acceptable to any red-blooded Mustang worth his salt. Dallas is a winner's town. Winning obviously will help, but I don't think we have the luxury of waiting for this to happen and just hope. The status quo is not sustainable.

Let's have some perspective, things are already changing dramatically. In a little more than a year, Coach Morris has put SMU back on the recruiting map where it belongs, in Texas. Recruiting, Outreach, Camps, Engagement are all monumentally improved. Momentum is a precious thing.

Clearly, not enough people are convinced SMU football is worth their support (either in time, money or value(experience) received. Needless to say, the Event must Easy, Well-Run/Organized, Worthwhile/Entertaining and Affordable. All the boxes have to be checked. Winning will change things, but for now not enough people will come just for the game. Love of Alma Mater only goes so far for too few. Experience needs to be more than just the Game.

Going to a game starts and stops with relationships (I include traditions within this definition). Either with a buddy, family, date, group from work, clients, etc. We need to appeal to all these natural constituencies. SMU has many existing community relationships to leverage. Our Dallas location, Campus setting, Blvd atmosphere, Bush Library, Meadows Museum, Fondren/Degolyer, Collins Exec Center, etc. provide unique venues/experiences to host the Dallas community.

I see the Kid's Ticket program as a natural extension of a SMU Education department network to reach families. Relationships exist with teachers and school administrators all over Dallas. Use some aspect of our campus as a resource for a pre-game education department function with the game as a celebratory, concluding event for a learning/experiential day.

Likewise, Cox has relationships with employers, industry groups, associations, etc. Host seminars, speakers, industry conferences, etc. Invite companies who would benefit not only from the Day's agenda but also from networking with other attendees and/or presenters. Be it customers, vendors, peers. Endless types of groups to assemble. The Game is an opportunity to continue to build relationships with individuals it is important for you to know.

Perkins, Meadows, Dedman Law, name your program, all are deeply interwoven into the Dallas community and could build similar bridges. Formats, group mix, timing, venues all may need to change to get to something that works, importantly works for the people attending.

Nothing proposed is revolutionary or probably even new, but building bridges and making Game-Day more meaningful/valuable to more people has to be part of the solution. Maybe just need more frequent, bigger and consistent events from more groups. Any efforts will have to be long term, consistent and led by engaged leadership. Hard to make work. Easy to take (fall) apart. Few would argue SMU has many relationships to build upon. Just need to find the right formula to leverage.

Great post!
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 am

As much as I believe in "it's all about the TEAM", we should be marketing the few "rock star" type players we have. So, promote Courtland Sutton! (he looks the part, plays the part, is a good kid, etc - plaster his likeness on everything - posters, billboards, etc . . . hey, if the team sucks, at least come watch THIS kid play!). ANYTHING positive, stay focused on THAT and promote THAT. I'd also add Matt Davis to that just because he can be "electric" with his legs. Maybe even promote "the new triplets in Dallas: Sutton, Davis, and Jones" . . . we have SOME star power on this team and until the TEAM is really good, promote the few who really CAN BE . . . "offense sells tickets, defense wins championships" . . . so, until we have a defense, promote the few bright spots on offense!). Proche could be another we'd like to promote, has the talent and seems like a really good kid . . . and from Dallas . . .
ojaipony

Postby SMU Grid Iron Madman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:48 pm

During this slow period between school years, I hope some might be willing to give this topic some thoughtful attention. Just maybe the ideas presented might actually make it to the right people within the Athletic administration to put the worthy ideas into practice. If someone can navigate the chain of command and knows these "right" people, I hope they will forward on. There is still time to organize a plan for EACH home game and implement. Each SMU Game-Day must be seen as an opportunity to experience a special/unique event. As has been said before, any efforts must be long-term, consistent and lead by ENGAGED LEADERSHIP. The ultimate success of any efforts will be judged by the value of the experience to the individual attending. Make it Worthwhile.

To Recap Ideas to Date:
1. Donation Ticket Program for DFW clubs and Military
2. Dollar Draft night and Bus Brigade
3. Improve Player Talent (on the way)
4. Hire Notable/Promotable half-time entertainment
5. Hawaiian Crooner (didn't have the heart to leave him out)
6. SMU Campus hosts Pre-Game functions by School Department constituencies (see thread to explain this one)
7. Promote Star players more

Additional Ideas:
1. Players love Quality Swag, so do fans. More SMU Swag. (Quality apparel, hats, koozies, etc.)
2. Pre-Game Alumni Events
3. Special Themed Days
4. Lotteries are popular - Give away a new Sewell car lease
5. Promote the Blvd experience more within Dallas Community
6. Appeal to a constituency of the visiting team (i.e. Navy - DFW Veterans Day, Houston - Bloods and Crips Day, so on and so on)

I'm sure all of us have been exposed to Game-Day ideas at Sporting Events across the country. Please consider what could be done to make SMU Game-Days more appealing. I hope these ideas will get into the proper hands and not lost in a vanishing thread. Too many bright minds not to figure this out. Okay, I'm pandering, but I need your help.
SMU Grid Iron Madman
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football