PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HOF mentor says Hunt "can make things very tough on OLs"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

HOF mentor says Hunt "can make things very tough on OLs"

Postby PonyPride » Wed May 04, 2016 3:15 pm

From bengals.com:

Hunt seeks Greene's pastures

Geoff Hobson
Editor
Bengals.com

Kevin Greene, all 245 Hall of Fame pounds of him, all passionate pop and vintage verve and 160 high-engine sacks, has never seen anyone like Margus Hunt. The wonder spews out of the phone Tuesday from Destin, Fla.

“I had a chance to lay my hands on him for three days. I’ve never seen anyone so big, so lean, so tall, so strong,” Greene says. “If he does some of the things we talked about, I can promise you I feel confident he can make things very tough on offensive linemen.”

To read this article in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: HOF mentor says Hunt "can make things very tough on OLs"

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed May 04, 2016 3:58 pm

I really hope Margus can put it together this year.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Wed May 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I think that's the most encouraging article I've ever read
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed May 04, 2016 9:17 pm

“He really emphasized the physicalness of the game and setting dominance early,” Hunt says. “Setting the physical tone early and just never letting up.”

Unfortunately for Margus, this just isn't part of his mental make up. If it was he would have been an All American at SMU, and seen significant playing time in the NFL.

He's an athletic freak of nature, just not really a football player. I said the same thing when he was drafted, and he's shown nothing in 3 years to make anyone think otherwise.

At best he's a career backup, and maybe lands another 3 or 4 year contract because somebody will always be infatuated with his freakishness.

Don't hate, it is what it is.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Wed May 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Damn footballdad. Back at it again
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 am

mtrout wrote:Damn footballdad. Back at it again

I know trout, reality is usually more difficult to hear than hype. Hey, he's still young enough to go back to Olympic training if the football thing doesn't work out.

Not rooting against the guy, just making an observation. Maybe some miracle will happen, I guess anything is possible. I doubt 3 days with Kevin Greene, 2 of which were on his front lawn in Destin Florida, are really going to make a huge difference.

I'll check back with you mid-season.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 am

Margus is caught in a catch 22. When he thinks about things and plays not to make mistakes, he thinks too much and it kills his motor. If he just goes all out and does what comes naturally, he doesn't have the experience to anticipate that something else might happen (a draw to his side, or a screen).

The only way he is going to learn that stuff is reps. Playing the game. Not just watching film. And not getting limited reps in practice.

He is the poster child for minor league football. If the NFL had a developmental league, Hunt would have been able to go in and physically dominate while learning the game, and then be brought back to the show. Without it, it is tough for someone like him to learn. The Baylor guy drafted at TE by the Cowboys is going to have the same problems. Sure, he has the frame to block. But can he anticipate blitzes and weird defensive schemes and block the right guy? He needs to be a pass catcher first and a blocker second if he has a shot.
JasonB

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Thu May 05, 2016 3:03 pm

mtrout wrote:Damn footballdad. Back at it again

I see nothing to argue with in his assessment. If I'd change anything, it'd just be that I don't think that the door is closed on him..he did have a huge learning gap and definitely needed a redshirt year and some better coaching in college.

That being said, what footballdad said about magus is not untrue from a production standpoint. It's a subjective toss up whether or not you think Margus isn't mean enough or what have you
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 am

Maybe it's a matter of how you define toughness. He was understandably lost when he started playing, but i don't remember anything that indicated a lack of toughness. Wasn't he in the Estonian army? Sounds pretty tough.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm

HorsePower wrote:Maybe it's a matter of how you define toughness. He was understandably lost when he started playing, but i don't remember anything that indicated a lack of toughness. Wasn't he in the Estonian army? Sounds pretty tough.

I never saw that either. He always was willing to mix it up and do the dirty work.

Another thing to file away - he might be better in a 3-4 system. In that 3 man line, he would be asked to take blockers on more than make plays. Takes away some of the need to react as quick - the instinctive stuff.
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Mon May 09, 2016 1:19 pm

JasonB wrote:
HorsePower wrote:Maybe it's a matter of how you define toughness. He was understandably lost when he started playing, but i don't remember anything that indicated a lack of toughness. Wasn't he in the Estonian army? Sounds pretty tough.

I never saw that either. He always was willing to mix it up and do the dirty work.

Another thing to file away - he might be better in a 3-4 system. In that 3 man line, he would be asked to take blockers on more than make plays. Takes away some of the need to react as quick - the instinctive stuff.

Agree. Not a matter of toughness or meanness. More a matter of want, and instinct. Seems to be lacking both. Hope he proves me wrong.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Toughness doesn't exist anymore. The game is durability. Avoiding concussions and destroyed joints...
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football