PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: How college football's Power 5 should expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ESPN: How college football's Power 5 should expand

Postby ebrooks11 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:11 pm

There is no way around it, we need T-shirt fans to fill Ford.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Mon May 16, 2016 2:13 pm

The ship sailed a long time ago, SMU is not even in the expansion conversation. Morris will be the A&M coach after 2 more average seasons, and a bowl game.

SMU wins 4 games this year, followed by 6-8 next year and a bowl game. Morris is again a hot commodity for turning the worst program in cfb into a bowl team in 4 years. The A&M alum, lured by his alma mater, P5 glory, an unlimited budget, fans and alumni who actually care, and a 5 million dollar offer, returns to College Station to save the day.

Sumlin continues to plod along losing 4-5 games per year, stuck at .500 in the SEC. Recruiting continues it's downward trend, fans growing ever more restless. Calls for his head grow louder after this year, but the insiders give him 1 more year as they wait for their Morris plan to unfold. Big money boosters already see the writing on the wall with Sumlin, and are quietly rooting for Morris success more than SMU boosters and fans are rooting for him.

Done deal.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Mon May 16, 2016 3:22 pm

I thought I put him on "ignore". ?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 pm

footballdad wrote:The ship sailed a long time ago, SMU is not even in the expansion conversation. Morris will be the A&M coach after 2 more average seasons, and a bowl game.

SMU wins 4 games this year, followed by 6-8 next year and a bowl game. Morris is again a hot commodity for turning the worst program in cfb into a bowl team in 4 years. The A&M alum, lured by his alma mater, P5 glory, an unlimited budget, fans and alumni who actually care, and a 5 million dollar offer, returns to College Station to save the day.

Sumlin continues to plod along losing 4-5 games per year, stuck at .500 in the SEC. Recruiting continues it's downward trend, fans growing ever more restless. Calls for his head grow louder after this year, but the insiders give him 1 more year as they wait for their Morris plan to unfold. Big money boosters already see the writing on the wall with Sumlin, and are quietly rooting for Morris success more than SMU boosters and fans are rooting for him.

Done deal.

Lol hypothetical bs with no actual truth to it.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:and I will continue being the naysayer because those who think 10 win seasons and wins against top 25 programs will get us into a P-5 conference are missing the real problem SMU has. Even when we were winning SWC Championships with the Pony Express, we didn't draw well (other than having promotions where tickets were literally given away or those games against opponents whose fans filled Texas Stadium). Unless SMU can win over DFW area college sports fans, there is simply no evidence to suggest we can attract the "numbers" we would need from our alumni base. I hope it will happen some day but until SMU is able to command enough support to fill Ford and have fans sitting on the grassy slope above that south end zone...no matter who the opponent might be, I don't expect the big public schools will want to share revenue with another small private school.

Different times, and by the way the program drew around 35k true fans a game in a time when college ball wasn't as big as it is today in an off campus location and with significantly smaller enrollment. And it's not about bringing 100k fans...not many schools actually draw that out of the elite 10 schools
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 3:27 pm

If the horny toads can bring 35k to their home games then i believe SMU can too.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Pony Boss wrote:If the horny toads can bring 35k to their home games then i believe SMU can too.

:lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm

footballdad wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:If the horny toads can bring 35k to their home games then i believe SMU can too.

:lol:

So you say if SMU has TCU-like success (depends on whose kid is playing) this would not happen?
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:50 pm

footballdad wrote:The ship sailed a long time ago, SMU is not even in the expansion conversation. Morris will be the A&M coach after 2 more average seasons, and a bowl game.

Done deal.

Sumlin will not last another season if there is not a 10 win season in 2016, and at least a sniff of competition for the SEC West crown. Herman gets the nod if Sumlin is let go after next season.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 16, 2016 5:38 pm

this is an emotional issue for both SMU and Houston fans, but the bottom line is that neither program is a "destination" job
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Just bring on football season. I'm getting feisty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:this is an emotional issue for both SMU and Houston fans, but the bottom line is that neither program is a "destination" job

On your mind you may think SMU has no assets, no value and nothing to offer...your opinion and I completely disagree with it.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon May 16, 2016 7:06 pm

It's amazing how stupid people are.
Not me of course I'm a genius
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... contenders

Interesting take...ESPN is mulling the possibility of UH making the playoffs. Say what you want but that is valuable for the conference and for their program especially when ESPN puts AAC+Playoff in the same sentence
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon May 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:this is an emotional issue for both SMU and Houston fans, but the bottom line is that neither program is a "destination" job

On your mind you may think SMU has no assets, no value and nothing to offer...your opinion and I completely disagree with it.

SMU's assets and value, peak at the AAC. Nothing to offer the P5

Nobody outside of this board thinks otherwise. There is a reason that SMU is NEVER mentioned nationally as an expansion candidate.

It is what it is. Just focus on being the best in the AAC, which seems to be plenty for the basketball fans.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football