PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Liberty Alum Checking In

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Liberty Alum Checking In

Postby Sly Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Greetings from a fellow Texan!

A group of Liberty alumni from Houston are trying to organize a trip up I-45 for September 17th. But the lack of a game time and access to tickets is presenting some challenges.

First of all, what are the odds this will be one of your regular 3pm kickoffs or a night game? That is a HUGE factor for our travel arrangements. Obviously the afternoon time slot would be advantageous for us.

Fan to fan, what is the best way to get tickets? We recognize that the school will eventually be selling individual game tickets online and an allotment will be given to our folks in Virginia to sell as well. But what way do most of you secure your ducats?

And finally, any advice for those of us who don't normally hang in Highland Park on game days on how best to maximize the experience?

Our schools has a very large alumni base in Texas due to the religious nature of our school. But we haven't played a game in the Lone Star State in 23 years (we open at Baylor in 2017). We expect a strong turnout in an area that we recruit pretty heavily under Arlington Heights alum Coach Gill.
Sly Fox

Re: Liberty Alum Checking In

Postby smusic 00 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Best advice is to plan on walking the Blvd (Bishop Blvd) for a couple hours before the game, taking in the campus scenery and fun atmosphere. There are lots of food options for sale as well as generous boulevarders who are happy to share.

Tickets will absolutely not be a difficult issue. In fact, sometimes SMU does a groupon a couple weeks before for games like this.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

The boulevard:
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

If its on AAC's TV package I'd expect it to be at 11:00 a.m. because its not a high profile game. If its not picked up by AAC TV package, SMU could schedule for anytime it wants but in September would likely be a 7:00 p.m. game because of the heat which often ends up being 90+ in mid-September. In prior years when TV wasn't a factor almost all September home games have been at 7:00 p.m.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Sly Fox wrote: Fan to fan, what is the best way to get tickets?

There will probably be someone on the boulevard giving away tickets or outside Gate 7. You'd be crazy to pay full price. Once you get in, walk around to Section 104 and enjoy the game from the 50 yd. line. There will be plenty of room throughout the stadium. :wink:
Bergermeister

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Ditto on the 7 pm start. I'd be surprised if this was televised. With the Texas heat, you'll be thankful for the later start.
Getting tickets will not be a problem.
skyscraper

Postby Sly Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 pm

If none of the AAC media partners pick up the game, I am sure that our Liberty Flames Sports Network will do it and give it out to the regional networks like we often do. I can't recall the last time we ever had a game not televised nationally.

I am seriously looking forward to checking out the Boulevard on gameday. I used to hear great stories about it back in the day.

Thanks for the heads up on tickets. My family alone will likely fill up a nice section.
Sly Fox

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Sly Fox wrote: Fan to fan, what is the best way to get tickets?

There will probably be someone on the boulevard giving away tickets or outside Gate 7. You'd be crazy to pay full price. Once you get in, walk around to Section 104 and enjoy the game from the 50 yd. line. There will be plenty of room throughout the stadium. :wink:

Lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

smusic 00 wrote:The boulevard:

Look at all those people!!!!!

Too bad 90% never step foot inside the stadium :oops:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Sly Fox wrote:If none of the AAC media partners pick up the game, I am sure that our Liberty Flames Sports Network will do it and give it out to the regional networks like we often do. I can't recall the last time we ever had a game not televised nationally.

I am seriously looking forward to checking out the Boulevard on gameday. I used to hear great stories about it back in the day.

Thanks for the heads up on tickets. My family alone will likely fill up a nice section.

When we aren't on TV we are on ESPN3, which is where I'm guessing this game will be, similar to our game vs JMU last year. Expect it to be an evening kickoff - 6:00 at the earliest.

This will not be a difficult ticket.

Come on up and enjoy the game!
CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 11, 2016 6:32 pm

footballdad wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:The boulevard:

Look at all those people!!!!!

Too bad 90% never step foot inside the stadium :oops:

You must be a pleasure to be around
CalallenStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 11, 2016 6:46 pm

footballdad leans a bit to the negative side but let's be real...at least 50% of that boulevard crowd did not actually attend the game. We can only hope that changes if Chad & Co start producing wins
Charleston Pony

Liberty Alum Checking In

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:footballdad leans a bit to the negative side but let's be real...at least 50% of that boulevard crowd did not actually attend the game. We can only hope that changes if Chad & Co start producing wins

But we all know that and it doesn't need pointing out

Footballdad's post is a bit like going up to Howie Mandel and saying "You're bald"
CalallenStang

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed May 11, 2016 7:18 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:footballdad leans a bit to the negative side but let's be real...at least 50% of that boulevard crowd did not actually attend the game. We can only hope that changes if Chad & Co start producing wins

But we all know that and it doesn't need pointing out

Footballdad's post is a bit like going up to Howie Mandel and saying "You're bald"

Sounds like you should take issue with the elephant in the room, not the one who pointed out the elephant.

What I'm getting at is that footballdad should be encouraging you to do more to promote and support (not saying you dont- I don't know you or what you do). It also does no good to wish an objective observer would be quiet because you do not like the truths in their message. Closing your eyes to the news articles/highlights and putting your fingers in your ears when the espn highlights come on doesnt Change the state of this program. If anything, it slows it.

Allow for dissent. Nothing would ever change if it weren't for pessimists.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed May 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Y'all suck just like your football team
One Trick Pony

Next

Return to Football