PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Liberty Alum Checking In

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Liberty Alum Checking In

Postby CalallenStang » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:footballdad leans a bit to the negative side but let's be real...at least 50% of that boulevard crowd did not actually attend the game. We can only hope that changes if Chad & Co start producing wins

But we all know that and it doesn't need pointing out

Footballdad's post is a bit like going up to Howie Mandel and saying "You're bald"

Sounds like you should take issue with the elephant in the room, not the one who pointed out the elephant.

What I'm getting at is that footballdad should be encouraging you to do more to promote and support (not saying you dont- I don't know you or what you do). It also does no good to wish an objective observer would be quiet because you do not like the truths in their message. Closing your eyes to the news articles/highlights and putting your fingers in your ears when the espn highlights come on doesnt Change the state of this program. If anything, it slows it.

Allow for dissent. Nothing would ever change if it weren't for pessimists.

I don't disagree with you. However, there is making a point and there is beating a dead horse, and the line between them is crossed when it's in a thread having to do with a completely different topic. Discussing bad attendance in threads about the state of the program = relevant. Discussing it in response to pictures of the boulevard = unnecessary.

Also, I don't need a lecture from you about allowing for dissent. Check my history.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 am

bottom line in all of this is for Liberty fans to come early and experience The Boulevard. It's part of the SMU game day experience and should be enjoyed by our visitors. Hopefully they will not enjoy the outcome of this game as this one is really a "must win" for SMU if Chad Morris & Co are going to continue to improve this program.
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 am

As most have said, should be a night game.

From a ticket perspective, find the cheapest tickets you can, get in the stadium, and then pick your place to sit. The East side should be wide open. Grab a seat on the fifty yard line, up high, down low, all should be available, or move a bit more to the South and sit in the section where the Liberty fans who got their tickets through their school will be. If you go about three quarters up on the East Side, you can even move along with the ball, goal line to goal line, if you so desire.

Stadium personnel do not verify ticket-to-seat accuracy except in the case of disputes, or in rare instances, premium seats on the SMU side. You can walk into any open section/seat on the East Side with no fear of being checked.

Enjoy the game!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Sly Fox wrote:
Our schools has a very large alumni base in Texas due to the religious nature of our school. But we haven't played a game in the Lone Star State in 23 years (we open at Baylor in 2017). We expect a strong turnout in an area that we recruit pretty heavily under Arlington Heights alum Coach Gill.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu May 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Welcome, Flame fans!

If it's a night game, you might enjoy checking out the Bush Presidential Library on campus...regardless of your political leanings it's a neat experience, and I thought the 9/11 exhibit was particularly well done.

The Boulevard is awesome, and most everyone should be friendly to share food/drink with visiting fans.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Will Sturm be there?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smusic 00 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Bring your leader, Bob Sturm.
smusic 00

Postby tristatecoog » Fri May 13, 2016 8:34 am

Maybe "Lyin Ted" will come up for the game. Didn't he announce his candidacy at Liberty?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Sly Fox » Tue May 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes, Ted Cruz announced his candidacy on our campus and nearly every major candidate for president in this cycle with the obvious exception of Hillary has spoken at our place in the past year or so including Bernie Sanders. I doubt any of that impact attendance at the game. Many of our LU alumni would likely find the Bush Library to be of interest in addition to the experience of the Boulevard. I plan on having my family enjoy both.

Yes, Bob Sturm is an alum and I would expect him to be at the game unless he has work commitments. We actually have had a bunch of LU alumni in sports media in Texas over the years including Pat Doney over at NBC5. I worked for over two decades myself here in Texas outside of the Metroplex. And Sam Ponder worked at the Longhorn Network before moving fulltime to ESPN.

Thanks for the heads up on the seating at the stadium. It sounds like this is leaning toward an evening kickoff so we will probably have to spend the night or drive down I-45 ridiculously late. Of course a Buccees stop in Madisionville is usually the fuel I need to push the rest of the way home.
Sly Fox

Postby tristatecoog » Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 pm

If you have a group, you can get good discounted group tickets on the east side of the stadium in a good section. 214-SMU-GAME
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby AustinPerson » Tue May 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Do Liberty people like to drink? SMU people like to drink.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 17, 2016 10:04 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Do Liberty people like to drink? SMU people like to drink.

I dont think so. More for you and me
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Sly Fox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 am

I know you guys are focused on the game in Waco, but for those of us planning a trip into Ford Stadium next week, we are getting closer by the moment.

One recurring question I keep hearing from Liberty folks planning on heading to the game relates to parking. Typically we find parking passes on StubHub for most of our FBS road games, but can't find any for this one.

So where do you recommend we park?
Sly Fox

Postby smupony94 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:35 am

smupony94

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Pay lots all around campus. Or free lots east of 75 (north of mockingbird). Walk over (10 min) or shuttle from Dart station.
smusic 00

PreviousNext

Return to Football