PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UH Herman's SMU smack talk

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UH Herman's SMU smack talk

Postby skyscraper » Thu May 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Joseph Duarte @Joseph_Duarte

Tom Herman to Rotary Club: 'We understand the price of a championship. That price is same for Alabama as it is for Ohio State and UH.'
'In order to pay that price you've got to be willing 2 invest. There's a price for 9-win seasons & prices for 8, 7-, 6-win seasons.'
'Those prices are a lot easier to pay. And if you're satisfied w/ going 7-5 and going to Poulan Weedeater Bowl then great.' 'Then you're in the wrong program and we'll find a place for you to go.'
'I hear there's a private school up in Dallas that's really looking to try to get to 7 wins. We can certainly find you a home.'
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UH Herman's SMU smack talk

Postby Dukie » Thu May 12, 2016 3:46 pm

skyscraper wrote:

Tom Herman to Rotary Club: 'We understand the price of a championship. That price is same for Alabama as it is for Ohio State and UH.'
'In order to pay that price you've got to be willing 2 invest. There's a price for 9-win seasons & prices for 8, 7-, 6-win seasons.'
'Those prices are a lot easier to pay. And if you're satisfied w/ going 7-5 and going to Poulan Weedeater Bowl then great.' 'Then you're in the wrong program and we'll find a place for you to go.'
'I hear there's a private school up in Dallas that's really looking to try to get to 7 wins. We can certainly find you a home.'

His fixation on SMU is (a) pretty odd and (b) a compliment to SMU.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu May 12, 2016 4:17 pm

He knows that SMU has better academics, campus, neighborhood, etc. than Houston.

When SMU is successful again in football (and builds the IPF) UH will have few, if any, recruiting advantages.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Thu May 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:He knows that SMU has better academics, campus, neighborhood, etc. than Houston.

When SMU is successful again in football (and builds the IPF) UH will have few, if any, recruiting advantages.

He'll be long gone by then.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Dukie wrote:
skyscraper wrote:

His fixation on SMU is (a) pretty odd and (b) a compliment to SMU.

He was our backup hire to Morris
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:He knows that SMU has better academics, campus, neighborhood, etc. than Houston.

Wonder if Houston will be in the Big 12 by then? Sounds to me as if Herman thinks we are back in the June Jones days when some were happy for a 7 win season with a Hawaii Bowl invite and ready to make a JJ statue. Apparently Hermann does not think SMU is willing to pay the price to win big.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... ll-program
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu May 12, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonySnob » Thu May 12, 2016 6:15 pm

After the last couple of seasons, wouldn't we be happy with 7 wins in 2016?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 pm

In case you were worried about SMU football being completely irrelevant, the head coach of the #8 team in the nation last year felt the need to go out of his way to talk [deleted] on us.

Chad must be doing something right!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby CalallenStang » Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Price of a championship - paying players?
CalallenStang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:52 pm

PonySnob wrote:After the last couple of seasons, wouldn't we be happy with 7 wins in 2016?

Sounds like you are saying Herman is right.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu May 12, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Bottom line SMU just got Loveless to commit the them over UH. Herman is not happy because HCCM is on him in recruiting so he is firing back publicly. Arizona hoops coach did the same thing last year when they lost a recruit to another school (I think it was UCLA) that Arizona wanted pretty badly.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Bottom line SMU just got Loveless to commit the them over UH. Herman is not happy because HCCM is on him in recruiting so he is firing back publicly. Arizona hoops coach did the same thing last year when they lost a recruit to another school (I think it was UCLA) that Arizona wanted pretty badly.

I doubt it has anything to do with that. I'm sure he has a personal thing because we hired Morris over him. What is bigger though is that the entire UH alumni and student base has an inferiority complex when it comes to SMU. The city of Houston has the same complex with Dallas. He is stoking that fire to increase the commitment. "we are better than the school that always thinks they are better than us". I'm sure TCU said the exact same thing when they were on the upswing.
JasonB

Postby Pony Boss » Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Bottom line SMU just got Loveless to commit the them over UH. Herman is not happy because HCCM is on him in recruiting so he is firing back publicly. Arizona hoops coach did the same thing last year when they lost a recruit to another school (I think it was UCLA) that Arizona wanted pretty badly.

I doubt it has anything to do with that. I'm sure he has a personal thing because we hired Morris over him. What is bigger though is that the entire UH alumni and student base has an inferiority complex when it comes to SMU. The city of Houston has the same complex with Dallas. He is stoking that fire to increase the commitment. "we are better than the school that always thinks they are better than us". I'm sure TCU said the exact same thing when they were on the upswing.

Well it's time for our alumni and students to wake up and realize that it ain't 1985 no more and these schools are now better than us. You would think 30 years of suckage would have taught us humility lol

Academically they are pretty much tied with us and are way better in football. Need to get our act together and get this football program rolling. And no, getting drinks at barley or shopping is not more important than the game on Saturdays...get that through your head kids!
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 pm

UH doesn't even sniff SMU academically.
smusic 00

Postby tristatecoog » Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 pm

I read Boss's comments as referring to TCU.

I think Herman was playing to his audience, the Rotary Club of Houston. He always challenges the fan base and city of Houston to expect, and pay for, big things. It was a fun jab at SMU who is down now but won't be for much longer. The AAC needs some good rivalries and SMU indeed is "really looking to try to get to 7 wins." He got some mileage out of the comments.

The "entire UH alumni and student base has an inferiority complex when it comes to SMU." Really? Does the entire SMU alumni and student base have an inferiority complex when it comes to.....UT, Stanford, Rice, Williams College, Cal Tech, Harvard? Very different programs. Maybe replace SMU with UT or A&M in the quote.

A friend of mine who lives in H-Town, runs an oil business his dad started, travels the world and has lots of time for his family. I said he'd fit in very well in the Park Cities. He replied, "I attended Baylor with some folks from HP and I'm definitely not in that crowd (or want to be). Those aren't my type of people. Unfortunately, since you didn't grow up there or attend SMU I'm afraid you'll always be on the outside of that group. I think it's best anyway." Maybe jealous or just different?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football