PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UH Herman's SMU smack talk

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UH Herman's SMU smack talk

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu May 12, 2016 11:27 pm

tristatecoog wrote:A friend of mine who lives in H-Town, runs an oil business his dad started, travels the world and has lots of time for his family. I said he'd fit in very well in the Park Cities. He replied, "I attended Baylor with some folks from HP and I'm definitely not in that crowd (or want to be). Those aren't my type of people. Unfortunately, since you didn't grow up there or attend SMU I'm afraid you'll always be on the outside of that group. I think it's best anyway." Maybe jealous or just different?

HP gets a bad rap....I came from the East Coast (obviously) to SMU and was nothing like the people in the Park Cities and have still managed to make many good friends here. No offense to your friend (OK, maybe a little), but I feel like people who rip on HP by default are people who are socially inept and can't fit in.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Thu May 12, 2016 11:35 pm

smusic 00 wrote:UH doesn't even sniff SMU academically.

Tristate is correct, I was referring to TCU and Baylor.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:15 am

Ah, my bad.

But if you want to work in DFW, an SMU degree goes a lot farther than those two, still.
smusic 00

Postby Grant Carter » Fri May 13, 2016 6:12 am

Pony Boss wrote:

You quoted a post that referred to UH and TCU. The thread is about the Houston coach. No one had referred to Baylor in the thread. Of course you were referring to Baylor and not UH when you said "these schools". Got it.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Fri May 13, 2016 6:18 am

Grant Carter wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

You quoted a post that referred to UH and TCU. The thread is about the Houston coach. No one had referred to Baylor in the thread. Of course you were referring to Baylor and not UH when you said "these schools". Got it.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 am

tristatecoog wrote:I read Boss's comments as referring to TCU.

I think Herman was playing to his audience, the Rotary Club of Houston. He always challenges the fan base and city of Houston to expect, and pay for, big things. It was a fun jab at SMU who is down now but won't be for much longer. The AAC needs some good rivalries and SMU indeed is "really looking to try to get to 7 wins." He got some mileage out of the comments.

The "entire UH alumni and student base has an inferiority complex when it comes to SMU." Really? Does the entire SMU alumni and student base have an inferiority complex when it comes to.....UT, Stanford, Rice, Williams College, Cal Tech, Harvard? Very different programs. Maybe replace SMU with UT or A&M in the quote.

A friend of mine who lives in H-Town, runs an oil business his dad started, travels the world and has lots of time for his family. I said he'd fit in very well in the Park Cities. He replied, "I attended Baylor with some folks from HP and I'm definitely not in that crowd (or want to be). Those aren't my type of people. Unfortunately, since you didn't grow up there or attend SMU I'm afraid you'll always be on the outside of that group. I think it's best anyway." Maybe jealous or just different?

I think that there has always been a little inferiority complex between Houston and the rest of the SWC schools because they were invited in so late. I'm not saying UH is inferior, I'm just saying there is always a little chip on the shoulder. You combine that with the chip on the shoulder vibe in Houston when it comes to all things Dallas, and it is definitely there. I have good friends who went to UH and we joke about it (as well as joking about me being a snob). Its all part of the fun.

I agree with you though, Herman was just playing the room and having fun with it. I don't see anything wrong with it.
JasonB

Postby ponyinNC » Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 am

Let me tell you guys, this is fun stuff and good for both teams and good for the rivalry.

I work 30 minutes from Clemson, and the amount of smack talk between Steve Spurrier and Dabo Sweeney was the stuff of legends.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... rrier-jabs
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Fri May 13, 2016 10:09 am

Without getting into any discussion of the relative merits of SMU and Houston or living in Park Cities vs various upscale Houston neighborhoods and so forth and so on, I like the climate in Dallas much better than in Houston.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 am

I'll beg to differ. The humidity does wonders for my skin, I glow!
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby malonish » Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am

No Quarter wrote:Without getting into any discussion of the relative merits of SMU and Houston or living in Park Cities vs various upscale Houston neighborhoods and so forth and so on, I like the climate in Dallas much better than in Houston.

Every game in Houston I've been unable to breathe at 100% due to the bad air quality. Thanks former sinus tumor...
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 am

At this point in time, I find it hard to argue against his point.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby SMU 86 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:22 pm

ponyinNC wrote:Let me tell you guys, this is fun stuff and good for both teams and good for the rivalry.

I work 30 minutes from Clemson, and the amount of smack talk between Steve Spurrier and Dabo Sweeney was the stuff of legends.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... rrier-jabs

Those are some pretty good exchanges. Sounds like UH and SMU could be starting an old fashion SWC type recruiting battle. This is going to be fun. :D
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat May 14, 2016 4:44 am

I often find that discussions like these on this board lead me to believe we aren't academically better than UH or Abelene Christan or SHSU. Good lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 14, 2016 7:07 am

Puckhead48E wrote:I often find that discussions like these on this board lead me to believe we aren't academically better than UH or Abelene Christan or SHSU. Good lord.

You use the moniker Puckhead - that's just one letter off. Lol just saying.
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Sat May 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:I often find that discussions like these on this board lead me to believe we aren't academically better than UH or Abelene Christan or SHSU. Good lord.

'Abelene Christan'

Might want to just refer to them as AC, or some may question your akudemic superiority :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football