PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pictures of New SMU Aquatics Center

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pictures of New SMU Aquatics Center

Postby Stallion » Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 pm

for those that never go to "Other Sports"

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/rec-cen ... arena.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Pictures of New SMU Aquatics Center

Postby tristatecoog » Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 pm

Just like A&M's but much nicer on the outside. Bucket seats or benches? Need lots of pony emlems around the facility like the Aggies. Seriously, it's pretty amazing that SMU will have the same swimming facilities for 8k vs 50k.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri May 13, 2016 8:18 am

Classy
Bergermeister

Postby SMUer » Fri May 13, 2016 8:45 am

#SMU2PAC12
SMUer

Postby Water Pony » Fri May 13, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks, Stallion, for posting link. These images are new renderings, so it is helpful. We can assume the internal and external finishings will be well done.

When I attended the ground breaking, the graphics were older than these done by the architects.

The reality that we will actually have a competitive aquatic facility is still sinking in. It is worth the wait.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PK » Fri May 13, 2016 12:02 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Just like A&M's but much nicer on the outside. Bucket seats or benches? Need lots of pony emlems around the facility like the Aggies. Seriously, it's pretty amazing that SMU will have the same swimming facilities for 8k vs 50k.

The cost of the SMU facility was not mentioned in the article. The 8.5 million quoted in the article was in reference to the facility in St Louis, Minn.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby tristatecoog » Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Sorry, i meant that it's very impressive that SMU will have a nicer facility for its 8k students vs. A&M's 50k. I was just at theirs last weekend so that's my immediate references point.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Fri May 13, 2016 1:47 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Sorry, i meant that it's very impressive that SMU will have a nicer facility for its 8k students vs. A&M's 50k. I was just at theirs last weekend so that's my immediate references point.

That makes more sense. The "k"s had me a little confused anyway. :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Water Pony » Fri May 13, 2016 2:17 pm

I assume he meant m's not k's. The projected costs for SMU is likely to be in the range of $18-20+m, not $8m for this complex.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri May 13, 2016 3:37 pm

He is talking seating not $$
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby tristatecoog » Fri May 13, 2016 4:43 pm

So, A&M's was quite nice. I haven't been to UT's or UH's. All of them host Junior Olympic and regional diving meets. Of course, a lot of the area schools do too, especially Southlake and Grapevine/Colleyville. I think Frisco, Mansfield, etc. do too.

A&M's is quite a bit nicer than the high school ones. It has bucket seating vs. benches. It has a deeper diving tank since it has five, seven and ten meter diving platforms. The high schools only have one and three meter boards. Colleges compete with platforms, like the SMU outdoor pool.

A&M has its bloody logo on the outside of all of its rows, big logos where the SMU banners are shown in the rendering and a big seal behind the 10m platform. SMU's looks much nicer on the outside. More like what Blue Bell Park does (Aggie baseball field).

Anyway, I was thinking that it's very impressive that SMU has its Dedman swimming facility and will also have this separate, huge Olympic pool and diving facility. SMU has about 8-10,000 students utilizing its facility while A&M has 50-55,000. Well done Ponies. It seems well worth the wait.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 pm

tristatecoog wrote:So, A&M's was quite nice. I haven't been to UT's or UH's. All of them host Junior Olympic and regional diving meets. Of course, a lot of the area schools do too, especially Southlake and Grapevine/Colleyville. I think Frisco, Mansfield, etc. do too.

A&M's is quite a bit nicer than the high school ones. It has bucket seating vs. benches. It has a deeper diving tank since it has five, seven and ten meter diving platforms. The high schools only have one and three meter boards. Colleges compete with platforms, like the SMU outdoor pool.

A&M has its bloody logo on the outside of all of its rows, big logos where the SMU banners are shown in the rendering and a big seal behind the 10m platform. SMU's looks much nicer on the outside. More like what Blue Bell Park does (Aggie baseball field).

Anyway, I was thinking that it's very impressive that SMU has its Dedman swimming facility and will also have this separate, huge Olympic pool and diving facility. SMU has about 8-10,000 students utilizing its facility while A&M has 50-55,000. Well done Ponies. It seems well worth the wait.

There has been an historical conflict created by the Physical Education department at SMU vs. the Athletic Department. When the amazing SMU physical education facility was built politics entered and PE did not want the pool in that complex to be used by the competitive swim teams. The SMU President was a sleep at the switch and failed miserably to intervene and ensure a state of the art pool complex was built in the PE complex to be used by PE, the student body and competitive teams. A total failure of management, politics and egos. The result is that the PE pool is shallow and for use only by the student body. The new complex will be an Athletic Department facility and will generally not be available to the student body. This is an issue based on the high cost of maintenance for such a facility. At one point other users were being sought to join SMU and defray the costs. Area high schools were approached to justify and use the facility. I do not know the results or status of those discussions. Bottom line is that this new state of the art complex should have been built years ago in a more convenient location but for bad politics and poor management.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat May 14, 2016 4:20 am

Seriously...there is a conflict b/t PE and sports? I thought PE was content teaching freshman to limit their Snuffers cheese fries input. If this is true...we do deserve the past few decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 am

PoconoPony wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:So, A&M's was quite nice. I haven't been to UT's or UH's. All of them host Junior Olympic and regional diving meets. Of course, a lot of the area schools do too, especially Southlake and Grapevine/Colleyville. I think Frisco, Mansfield, etc. do too.

There has been an historical conflict created by the Physical Education department at SMU vs. the Athletic Department. When the amazing SMU physical education facility was built politics entered and PE did not want the pool in that complex to be used by the competitive swim teams. The SMU President was a sleep at the switch and failed miserably to intervene and ensure a state of the art pool complex was built in the PE complex to be used by PE, the student body and competitive teams. A total failure of management, politics and egos. The result is that the PE pool is shallow and for use only by the student body. The new complex will be an Athletic Department facility and will generally not be available to the student body. This is an issue based on the high cost of maintenance for such a facility. At one point other users were being sought to join SMU and defray the costs. Area high schools were approached to justify and use the facility. I do not know the results or status of those discussions. Bottom line is that this new state of the art complex should have been built years ago in a more convenient location but for bad politics and poor management.

The fact that the PE pool wasn't built to host the swim team was the dumbest decision since we turned down TI's offer to build an engineering school.

It was idiocy.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat May 14, 2016 9:04 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Seriously...there is a conflict b/t PE and sports? I thought PE was content teaching freshman to limit their Snuffers cheese fries input. If this is true...we do deserve the past few decades.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conflict issue is all true and more. It is borderline ridiculous. There was a new head of Dedman center or rec sports (whatever you want to call it) years ago that tried to resolve such conflicts (pool issue, athletics access to dedman weight room, etc). When he realized the extreme roadblocks in even the most logical and fair changes, he left the job.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football