PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Daily Campus: Athletic Department Spending Analysis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Daily Campus: Athletic Department Spending Analysis

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 17, 2016 11:40 pm

footballdad wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
footballdad wrote:People have a habit of inventing fictions they will believe wholeheartedly in order to ignore the truth they cannot accept.

Like your son being good at football?

:lol:

"Hart says getting into a Power Five conference is not one of the goals of the university"

Straight forward, from the AD, out in public. How much more clearly would you like him to telegraph the future of SMU athletics:

“Our goal is to be the best program in the American Athletic Conference,” he says. “We don’t feel like conference affiliation is a hindrance to our goal to compete at a national level.”

Throw your hate at Hart, Turner, the Board, etc......not me, haha

Not a rhetorical question - was Chris Del Conte publicly campaigning for a Big 12 invite back in 2011, or was he saying he was looking forward to the Big East move (which never happened) while working Dodds and the Big 12 powers that be behind closed doors? It seemed like not many people even knew TCU was on the Big 12's radar before it went down.

If Hart was publicly campaigning for a P5 invite now it would be a punchline. That's what happens when you win three games in two seasons. Hart knows that the football team needs to perform over the next 2-3 years before we can present a coherent argument to P5 conferences. But Chad Morris wouldn't be one of the highest paid G5 coaches if SMU was content to be in the AAC forever. We'd just mail it in like Rice or UNT if that was the case (see also: SMU football 1989-2007)
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed May 18, 2016 8:54 am

Does CM's existence/salary have to do with SMU athletics' high goals or is it simply a product of the Circle of Champions (which was formed when SMU athletics had high goals)?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 am

mtrout wrote:Does CM's existence/salary have to do with SMU athletics' high goals or is it simply a product of the Circle of Champions (which was formed when SMU athletics had high goals)?

It was part of RGT's "Secret" plan to make it look like he was doing something when he is really trying to finish off what Ken Pye started. :roll:
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 am

mtrout wrote:Does CM's existence/salary have to do with SMU athletics' high goals or is it simply a product of the Circle of Champions (which was formed when SMU athletics had high goals)?

Newsflash: RGT and the admin do what the big donor people want. Exhibit A: RGT sure as [deleted] wouldn't employ Larry [deleted] Brown if he wasn't somewhat interested/concerned in the future of our athletics program
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Footballdad was on Shark tank for this product

http://www.today.com/pets/go-ahead-lick ... -no-t93311
smupony94

Postby mtrout » Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Digetydog wrote:

It was part of RGT's "Secret" plan to make it look like he was doing something when he is really trying to finish off what Ken Pye started. :roll:

I thought it was RGT's secret plan to do nothing but gave Orsini the OK to try so he went out and fundraised / helped form COC and made football [deleted] happen. No?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 pm

mtrout wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

I thought it was RGT's secret plan to do nothing but gave Orsini the OK to try so he went out and fundraised / helped form COC and made football [deleted] happen. No?

Correct, I believe RGT, Randolph and Mortimer had a $1 bet that Orsini couldn't raise squat.
RGV Pony

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri May 20, 2016 9:45 am

Someone here seems to think he's a checkers champion and doesn't realize Hart and Co are playing chess. Our success in the future is a long term challenge comprised of micro decisions. HCCM and Hart and Co are the first leadership grouping that, when in the position to effect that change and make those decisions, seem to get it. I just hope their formula isn't longer than the timeframe within which they have to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Fri May 20, 2016 9:52 am

What makes you say that? Is it our postseason bball ban, our 2-10 season, or our inability to fund the ipf project? Not trying to be a total [deleted], they're doing a pretty good job but we're not exactly outsmarting the world of athletics.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri May 20, 2016 10:06 am

AD and President don't Coach or recruit (or get caught cheating except at SMU in the 1980s). They hire-and they have done an outstanding job with Morris and Brown. Both were walk-off home run hires. Both are doing outstanding jobs. Both were the first hires that made sense for SMU in about 3 decades-some might remember I haven't been a big fan of any of our prior hires including St. Forrest Gregg. The ALUMNI are the ones that are going to have to support these programs by giving the Coaches the resources they need to improve the facilities whether by donations, Mustang Club membership and/or attendance. There is no magic money vault where Turner as President of a private school can go to build the facilities we need. Brown has pretty much been given what he needs. SMU's alumni haven't yet given Morris everything he needs-I'm hopeful they will. The biggest long term roadblock is no longer the administration, academic restrictions or Coaches-it is BUTTS in SEATS and funding of facilities in Football
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Water Pony » Fri May 20, 2016 10:19 am

Stallion wrote:AD and President don't Coach or recruit (or get caught cheating except at SMU in the 1980s). They hire-and they have done an outstanding job with Morris and Brown. Both were walk-off home run hires. Both are doing outstanding jobs. Both were the first hires that made sense for SMU in about 3 decades-some might remember I haven't been a big fan of any of our prior hires including St. Forrest Gregg. The ALUMNI are the ones that are going to have to support these programs by giving the Coaches the resources they need to improve the facilities whether by donations, Mustang Club membership and/or attendance. There is no magic money vault where Turner as President of a private school can go to build the facilities we need. Brown has pretty much been given what he needs. SMU's alumni haven't yet given Morris everything he needs-I'm hopeful they will. The biggest long term roadblock is no longer the administration, academic restrictions or Coaches-it is BUTTS in SEATS and funding of facilities in Football

Spot on, Stallion!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Fri May 20, 2016 10:29 am

Stallion wrote:AD and President don't Coach or recruit (or get caught cheating except at SMU in the 1980s). They hire-and they have done an outstanding job with Morris and Brown. Both were walk-off home run hires. Both are doing outstanding jobs. Both were the first hires that made sense for SMU in about 3 decades-some might remember I haven't been a big fan of any of our prior hires including St. Forrest Gregg. The ALUMNI are the ones that are going to have to support these programs by giving the Coaches the resources they need to improve the facilities whether by donations, Mustang Club membership and/or attendance. There is no magic money vault where Turner as President of a private school can go to build the facilities we need. Brown has pretty much been given what he needs. SMU's alumni haven't yet given Morris everything he needs-I'm hopeful they will. The biggest long term roadblock is no longer the administration, academic restrictions or Coaches-it is BUTTS in SEATS and funding of facilities in Football

This. I've gotten 3 buddies to sign up for season tix next season...one of them bought 4 tickets and the other 2 bought 2 each. And I'm thinking of doubling my Mustang club donation this year as well and may add 2 more seats.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 am

People don't like to hear it but Hart was an excellent hire as well. RGT gets to own bad hires in Copeland and Orsini. Hart is a damn good AD. Deal with it.
PonyKai

Previous

Return to Football