PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ken Starr Has Apparently Been Fired

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ken Starr Has Apparently Been Fired

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Current silence, which seems to me a very a good idea given the seriousness of all of this. We'll be hearing an official Baylor response soon and can then judge the situation.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 25, 2016 2:24 pm

lol ponyboy if you think Baylor is about to bare its soul to the public about this.
skyscraper

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

skyscraper wrote:lol ponyboy if you think Baylor is about to bare its soul to the public about this.

..or even bear its soul.
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
skyscraper wrote:lol ponyboy if you think Baylor is about to bare its soul to the public about this.

..or even bear its soul.

I like your Avatar Bergy.
Didn't I crawl in a dumpster once for you in Hawaii?
One Trick Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed May 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Good thing "W" put his Library at SMU. Can you imagine the stuff we'd be hearing if his Library were at Baylor?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Wed May 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Make Biles roll up his sleeves
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby stc9 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

I have a no B.S. Question and I would appreciate anyone who really knows the answer.

Why do schools investigate sexual assault at all? Why aren't these crimes immediately turned over to the police? Dallas PD has significantly more experience and resources dealing with this kind of thing than campus police do... Things like forensics labs, access to search warrants, subpoena power and the full weight of the criminal justice system. It just makes more sense to have the police investigating these crimes than a VP for Student Affairs. Can anyone enlighten me?
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby PonyKai » Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Because of the current administration's "Dear John" Title IX letter from several years ago. It basically threatened to withhold funding, and the schools have responded by becoming, um, very proactive in "prosecuting" these incidents on campus. Due process protections are an enormous concern here. Beginning to see it now, but over the next few years it will really come to light 1.) how far the pendulum swung from schools doing very little to schools falling all over themselves to "prosecute" and "convict," 2.) how closely they resemble kangaroo courts, 3.) how ill-equipped schools are and how asinine it is to try and have academic institutions sit in place of tribunals or courts, and 4.) how badly they run afoul of constitutional due process protections.

Decent overview of the origins of the "Dear John" letter and recent developments re. due process, etc.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... t-guidance

http://reason.com/blog/2016/04/01/judge ... student-gu

The aforementioned is not intended to be a stereotypical old-man right wing "get off my lawn" you darn commies rant.
Last edited by PonyKai on Wed May 25, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyKai

Postby Alaric » Wed May 25, 2016 6:54 pm

I just hope the NCAA doesn't come down [deleted] SMU for Baylor's transgressions
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 pm

stc9 wrote:I have a no B.S. Question and I would appreciate anyone who really knows the answer.

Why do schools investigate sexual assault at all? Why aren't these crimes immediately turned over to the police? Dallas PD has significantly more experience and resources dealing with this kind of thing than campus police do... Things like forensics labs, access to search warrants, subpoena power and the full weight of the criminal justice system. It just makes more sense to have the police investigating these crimes than a VP for Student Affairs. Can anyone enlighten me?

There are two issues that need to be addressed:
1) The criminal case needs to be investigated by the police & prosecuted by the DA. Unfortunately, in some areas, the cops "look out" for the school (often a major deal in the area) & botch investigations - Winston/FSU and some of the Baylor cases fit the bill.
2) politics aside - the schools have a basic responsibility to keep students safe while they are on campus. While there is certainly room for debate about appropriate school disciplinary rules/procedures, Baylor isn't even in the ballpark of where a school should be.

They completely ignored their responsibility to female students (historically about 60% of the student body) by (a) accepting FB players with serious behavior issues and (b) failing to discipline them for serious criminal misconduct like rapes. They actually kept this kid on scholarship and let him graduate - the victim had her scholarship revoke.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and ... l?mode=jqm
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 pm

And there is a different burden of proof. Most universities are like government entities in that they have rules and codes of conduct that are administrative as opposed to criminal in nature. Usually the administrative disciplinary procedures involve at least minimal due process and require a proof by a preponderance of evidence, a much lower bar than criminal prosecutions which require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. If the university is not self insured I suspect its underwriters would be pretty nervous about relying on the criminal justice system to decide which students are expelled for violent behavior.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 25, 2016 8:48 pm

I know Waco will never be confused with Berkeley but I can't believe there isn't a women's group in Waco making more noise about the way Baylor has handled this situation. It's embarrassing for the region to think an uber religious college in a very conservative area would turn a blind eye to this activity over an extended period of time to benefit football. Sad but something else will happen soon to make us forget about this and Briles will coaching Baylor football again like none of this ever happened.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Wed May 25, 2016 8:54 pm

All the protest groups are on the road with Trump
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 pm

mrydel wrote:All the protest groups are on the road with Trump

sit in the corner for five minutes for that bit of humor...

That was one of the more creative "nonsense" posts I have ever read. You have earned a 'no reminder' of THE BLOCK until football season begins.

I bow to your wordcraft.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 pm

peruna81 wrote:
mrydel wrote:All the protest groups are on the road with Trump

sit in the corner for five minutes for that bit of humor...

That was one of the more creative "nonsense" posts I have ever read. You have earned a 'no reminder' of THE BLOCK until football season begins.

I bow to your wordcraft.

Aka a Mrydelism
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Football