PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ken Starr Has Apparently Been Fired

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ken Starr Has Apparently Been Fired

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 25, 2016 7:41 am

Probably more than 1 person packing up their office and updating resumes. Hard to believe it would all land on Starr. Maybe Kevin Steele is ready for a comeback.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RyanSMU98 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 am

Inside Higher Ed article from this morning, suggesting Starr will resign rather than wait for the board to fire him, and that others may be joining him out the door: http://bit.ly/1TKJQr8

I don't know if good ol' Artie gets canned, but I can't imagine he just walks away from this like nothing happened.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 am

It's amazing that this is all falling on Starr, when none of this could have happened without the involvement of Briles. He is the main culprit! Anything Baylor does to "rectify" the terrible situation is hypocritical without Briles being fired. Ah, but this is football!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ponyte » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 am

It seems the allegations are from several years ago. If Starr, Briles and others knew what was going on and did nothing, then the firing is justified. The questions is did they do nothing? Its possible they did do something to prevent further sexual assault activities. They may not have been able to prevent the assaults that were done several years ago but may have done something proactively to prevent further activities. There is no indication one way or the other in the public information I have seen. Briles may have done something but Starr didt't do something. Starr could have assumed Briles took care of it and nothing further needed to be performed. We just have no idea.

What will probably happen is the current compliance officer will institute programs to prevent these activates in the future. It will be interesting to see what they do. And if they do something that is reasonable and effective, would SMU consider similar programs?

I'm not implying SMU has a problem, just we don't need any problems as we rebuild. A little prevention may serve us far better in the long run than inattention.
ponyte

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 am

GreenbeltPony wrote:"The feeling is if the board got rid of Art (Briles), they'd be sitting in a $300 million mausoleum instead of that new football stadium," one source close to the situation told [Horns Digest].

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/stor ... oust-starr

$$$ aside, it's the president/chancellor's responsibility to implement compliant Title IX procedures.

They will have a $300 Million replica of Gerald Ford Stadium circa 2000-2008 lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 25, 2016 10:18 am

Arkpony wrote:It's amazing that this is all falling on Starr, when none of this could have happened without the involvement of Briles. He is the main culprit! Anything Baylor does to "rectify" the terrible situation is hypocritical without Briles being fired. Ah, but this is football!

When Football is king on campus, it is hard to fire Coach Paterno/Briles.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed May 25, 2016 11:13 am

ponyte wrote:Briles may have done something but Starr didt't do something. Starr could have assumed Briles took care of it and nothing further needed to be performed. We just have no idea.

He's the F'ing President, that argument won't fly.

LOL at the times my company has been sued and if I tried that excuse. My attorneys would be shaking their heads in disgust. Of course, maybe Mr. Starr isn't as well versed in the law, I have no idea.
SoCal_Pony

Postby White Helmet » Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 am

Bergermeister wrote: Maybe Kevin Steele is ready for a comeback.

Or how about Guy Morriss
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
ponyte wrote:Briles may have done something but Starr didt't do something. Starr could have assumed Briles took care of it and nothing further needed to be performed. We just have no idea.

LOL at the times my company has been sued and if I tried that excuse. My attorneys would be shaking their heads in disgust. Of course, maybe Mr. Starr isn't as well versed in the law, I have no idea.

I wasn't defending Starr but pointing out a possible situation where something was done and Starr assumed that was adequate. I never made a legal point or implied this was or wasn't appropriate.

The problem for us is we have absolutely no idea what internally at BU was done or not done.

Could there have been actions that were inadequate or poor judgment? We don't know. And Starr wouldn't be the first to assume some action taken by another as adequate only to find in hindsight it was a poor judgement. Also, Starr may have recommended a course of action and Briles refused. Once again, not saying right or wrong but we just don't know.
ponyte

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm

ponyte wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

I wasn't defending Starr but pointing out a possible situation where something was done and Starr assumed that was adequate. I never made a legal point or implied this was or wasn't appropriate.

The problem for us is we have absolutely no idea what internally at BU was done or not done.

Could there have been actions that were inadequate or poor judgment? We don't know. And Starr wouldn't be the first to assume some action taken by another as adequate only to find in hindsight it was a poor judgement. Also, Starr may have recommended a course of action and Briles refused. Once again, not saying right or wrong but we just don't know.

If Starr recommended a course of action and Briles refused, Starr would have been obligated to resign rather than remain in a position without his B@lls. His job is to be IN CHARGE.

The problem at Baylor was the same problem at Penn State. The people in charge simply didn't care enough about the victims.
- Just like at PSU, the President, the AD, and the HFBC had enough information to know that there was a problem. While they might not have known/understood the scope of the problem, they had legal (Title IX) and a moral obligation to find out what was going on and to develop a solution. They didn't. In many ways, they were worse than PSU. For example, BU actually revoked the scholarship of a female soccer player while they honored the scholarship of a male FB player who had been charged with a FELONY for sexually assaulting her.
- From what I have read about the issue, BU's Title IX problems extended beyond the athletic department. Essentially, their rape crisis policy was to ignore the victim until she left the school in shame.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed May 25, 2016 12:38 pm

several of the Baylor players who committed crimes had serious criminal records BEFORE enrolling at Baylor and several had multiple incidents at Baylor which went unaddressed or covered up while playing for Baylor
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby stc9 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Nobody will ever know what Starr, Briles, the AD, the Waco PD or Baylor PD did in reaction to these events unless the Board of Regents releases the law firm's investigation report. Given the amount of publicity that these have already received, I would think it is 50/50 that the board releases the report. The damage has already been done from all of the ESPN/News reports, the storm from not releasing the report would blow over in a couple of weeks. On the other hand, depending on how it is written, it could pass all of the blame on weak/ineffective leadership. Then the sacrificial lambs will be Starr, the AD and whoever is in charge of investigating these cases... An added bonus is if the report sheds some of the blame on the Waco PD. In that case they release the report.

BEST GUESS:
Art(full dodger) Briles' reputation will take a hit, but he will remain the head coach... He has built Baylor football into a power. We are still talking about FOOTBALL in the State of Texas. The Board will tell Starr's replacement that he/she is stuck with him. It is, after all, the CHRISTIAN thing to do to attempt to redeem him...
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Chris Peterson refuted everything said by Art Briles regarding the BSU transfer that had already been under suspicion (or arrested) for sexual assault.

The "I know nothing" approach is not going to work here.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Baylor's Silence On Its Sexual-Assault Scandal Is Deafening And Sadly Legal

http://deadspin.com/baylors-silence-on- ... 1773699580
skyscraper

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Since SMU is arguably the king of athletic scandals, I hesitate to comment on another school's problems. . . But it's always amazed me how Baylor, of all schools, ends up with these enormous scandals about once every 10-15 years. Murder, rape, you name it. . . They are always shocking.

I think it's been 10 or 15 years or so since the horrible Dave Bliss basketball scandal at Baylor. So according to the usual Baylor timeline, this one is right on schedule.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football