PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pac-12's (limited) expansion options

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Pac-12's (limited) expansion options

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:11 am

Digetydog wrote:
sbsmith wrote:
Digetydog wrote:Everyone should subscribe to Scout's Texas Longhorns site and read Chip Brown's note on
(1) why the B12 isn't going to expand this year (and may not expand anytime soon);
(2) why the B12 Network is unlikely to happen soon (if ever);
(3) why the B12 may not have a championship game after all; and
(4) why 2024 could be a groundbreaking year for CFB.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/stor ... -happening

Good piece but it's Chip Brown and his sources have tended to be flimsy in the past.

1) His comments on Bill Powers are dead on. Ask anyone that has dealt with him.

2) His comments about how/why the Aggies left the B12 are true. They left money on the table (and nearly screwed everyone in the B12) because of their hatred for Texas. In many ways, Texas' refusal to play them in FB is a sign of solidarity with the other B12 teams.

A&M and the SEC does to want to play Texas because it would be no advantage to it for them. Charlie Strong went on record as saying that he wanted to play A&M but Sumlin downplayed it. A&M did the right thing by going to the SEC just like Arkansas made the right move years ago. And I believe SEC money and prestige is better than the Big 12. However, I know UT people like to redact things and make it look different.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am

Rebel10 wrote:
A&M and the SEC does to want to play Texas because it would be no advantage to it for them. Charlie Strong went on record as saying that he wanted to play A&M but Sumlin downplayed it. A&M did the right thing by going to the SEC just like Arkansas made the right move years ago. And I believe SEC money and prestige is better than the Big 12. However, I know UT people like to redact things and make it look different.

The reason the B12 (not just Texas) is bitter - they were lied to.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:20 am

A&M did not leave money on the table in the Big 12 lol are you serious?!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am

Pony Boss wrote:A&M did not leave money on the table in the Big 12 lol are you serious?!

SEC schools each receive $31.2 million payout; league sets NCAA revenue record

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015 ... tedly.html

Big 12’s record per-team payouts still can’t match what the SEC Network has produced

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/colle ... 295630.php
Last edited by Rebel10 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMUfrat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:39 am

i have always said PAC-12 is our best option. We would pair with UH. If UH leaves for Big12 and leaves us alone, we are far less desirable.
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Pony Boss wrote:A&M did not leave money on the table in the Big 12 lol are you serious?!

I am serious and I am correct - straight from the horse's mouth.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Digetydog wrote:

I am serious and I am correct - straight from the horse's mouth.

If it were a horse it must have been one headed to the glue factory as the articles above state.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Texas and OU have irreconcilable differences. OU wants out and the Longhorn Network or expansion, or a title game… any excuse will do. They will leave the conference and when that happens OU will probably go SEC (with their little buddy OSU) and Texas will give up on the LHN and join some conference, probably the Pac and it remains to be seen who UT will bring with them. Texas won’t go Pac alone and will bring a whole pod of travel buddies with them so that they don’t have to play all their away games 2,000 miles away. My guess is that Tech, TCU and one other team would hitch a ride to the Pac. Too bad this isn’t happening now because Baylor would be out of luck for a bunch of reasons and not just for the rape scandal.

Of course if this happens, the ACC isn’t going to sit quietly especially if some of their teams get poached they will look at a Texas / midlands pod for their inventory of teams and that is where SMU’s opertunity lies.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Obviously would take any opportunity to join a P5 conference, but I feel SMU would be a better culture fit with the ACC than the PAC. Also, would much rather play on the east coast than the west coast. Those late night west coast games are a beating.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:14 pm

SMU isn't going to the PAC 12 or any other interesting conference. Do Tulane alumni also have these crazy ideas?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:21 pm

The SEC is waiting to poach VT and one of the NC schools. I don't think they'd settle for OU and OSU just to get to 16. They really want into the DC/VA/NC market.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Actually, I'm part of the Big XII self-destructs school of thought. I think that P-12 wants UT and another Texas school (if it has to take one). The question is which one. It doesn't want the Sand Aggies. It doesn't want Houston. That leaves Rice, SMU, TCU and Baylor. With Baylor's recent problems, its too hot a potato. TCU has bad academics, but might fit. SMU better than Rice. So, it comes down to TCU or SMU, yet again. If OU and OSU go to the SEC, that leaves the Big XII leftovers needing some dance partners. KU, KSU, ISU, TT, BU, WVU, UH, SMU, Cincy, Navy, UConn and Temple (or USF and UCF). So if the PAC-12 moves on someone, SMU has a shot somewhere out there.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm

West Coast Johnny wrote:Texas and OU have irreconcilable differences. OU wants out and the Longhorn Network or expansion, or a title game… any excuse will do. They will leave the conference and when that happens OU will probably go SEC (with their little buddy OSU) and Texas will give up on the LHN and join some conference, probably the Pac and it remains to be seen who UT will bring with them. Texas won’t go Pac alone and will bring a whole pod of travel buddies with them so that they don’t have to play all their away games 2,000 miles away. My guess is that Tech, TCU and one other team would hitch a ride to the Pac. Too bad this isn’t happening now because Baylor would be out of luck for a bunch of reasons and not just for the rape scandal.

Of course if this happens, the ACC isn’t going to sit quietly especially if some of their teams get poached they will look at a Texas / midlands pod for their inventory of teams and that is where SMU’s opertunity lies.

If OU brings the Longhorns with them, they can probably join any conference they want, with OSU - no so much. While things can (and do) change, OU (and OSU) have already been snubbed by the P12.
SNUB: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... c-12-snub/

1) Would the SEC really give up the DC/Virginia/NC market (see above) for the massive Oklahoma TV market?

2) If Texas and/or OU wanted to leave Tech or OSU behind, would politicians get involved to prevent it? Do TCU and/or Baylor have enough juice in the Texas legislature to help Tech block a Texas move?
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

Big 12’s record per-team payouts still can’t match what the SEC Network has produced

Plus, equal revenue sharing in the Big 12 will disappear when they go through their next contract negotiation, so A&M would make less than OU or UT.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:13 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Plus, equal revenue sharing in the Big 12 will disappear when they go through their next contract negotiation, so A&M would make less than OU or UT.

I don't know about that but A&M is banking now and they are not in a flag football league.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football