PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor is NOT releasing recruits!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Baylor is NOT releasing recruits!

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:21 pm

They have morphed their name to Infinity
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Baylor needs to wake up and hire a coach. Who is going to commit to them next year not knowing who will be coaching? What assistant is going to recruit not knowing where they will be working next year. Look at the template with Arkansas and John L Smith.

I heard today they asked Singletary if he was interested and he said he was very much so. Bring him in and let him start building a staff. This year is a write off. They will probably still get a bowl but they had better be looking farther down the road.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 pm

The question is whether Singletary would be another Lane Kiffin/Charlie Strong middle of the road type of coach.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Does not matter if it is Singletary. They need a real full time coach. This one year deal is going to hurt them in the long run.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm

A mediocre coach would hurt them more in the long run imo. After John L. Smith left Arkansas Bret Bielema did pretty good in recruiting from what I saw.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 pm

I realize if I said the sky is blue you would argue the fact but please know I am not stupid enough to suggest they set their goal to hire a mediocre coach. I said a real coach. And Arkansas did not go out and get Bielema, he contacted them for the job, and they came out very well.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Just saying with no NCAA coaching experience if he comes in with a slow paced grind it out offense and a staff that had little recruiting experience Baylor could been in for a bunch of medicre seasons. I am suggesting that Singletary is an unknown. He could be a really good college coach which would be better than what he did in the pros. I just think if Baylor can get through this season and see who one of the hotter coordinators or G5 coaches are then they could go for them. And I am not totally against Singletary just saying he has a major unknown factor regarding college coaching with not much success in the pros.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 pm

This is why you should always commit to the school and not the coach or the program.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Singletary was, and would be, a terrible coach.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Again, I am not saying hire Singletary. I am saying hire a full time coach with a full time staff rather than this one year deal with lame duck recruiters. They are trying to save their current recruits and by doing so are damaging their future recruiting ability. If you were a high senior recruit, would you want to go to Baylor not knowing who would be head coach or position coach? And yes coaches leave all the time but in this case you know the coach will not be there after this year.
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm

mrydel wrote:Again, I am not saying hire Singletary. I am saying hire a full time coach with a full time staff rather than this one year deal with lame duck recruiters. They are trying to save their current recruits and by doing so are damaging their future recruiting ability. If you were a high senior recruit, would you want to go to Baylor not knowing who would be head coach or position coach? And yes coaches leave all the time but in this case you know the coach will not be there after this year.

Agree
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:33 pm

mrydel wrote:Again, I am not saying hire Singletary. I am saying hire a full time coach with a full time staff rather than this one year deal with lame duck recruiters. They are trying to save their current recruits and by doing so are damaging their future recruiting ability. If you were a high senior recruit, would you want to go to Baylor not knowing who would be head coach or position coach? And yes coaches leave all the time but in this case you know the coach will not be there after this year.

They cannot hire a FT coach and new staff b/c it is June.
1) Almost anyone who they would consider for any coaching position us already employed. Getting good assistants to burn bridges would be very hard.
2) They have no President, no AD, and no Plan. Until all three are in place, coaches with options aren't going near the place (alums might be an exception).
Last edited by Digetydog on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm

I will say I do have to agree with that for the most part but they did keep the AD in place until the part timer was hired. They could have gone outside with a Singletary TYPE hire. But anyway you slice it, they are going to have a tough time recruiting for a while.

I certainly do not have the answer but did witness very closely the fiasco at Arkansas when they did the same thing, and that was a one person indiscretion, and not the whole school.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:This is why you should always commit to the school and not the coach or the program.

So if you are a slow QB that is a pocket passer and you commit to a school that has that type of offense and then they fire the coach or the coach gets another job and they hire a coach that runs the wishbone you would not at least explore other options knowing you will probably never see the field and the next coach may not even want you there?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:This is why you should always commit to the school and not the coach or the program.

So if you are a slow QB that is a pocket passer and you commit to a school that has that type of offense and then they fire the coach or the coach gets another job and they hire a coach that runs the wishbone you would not at least explore other options?

You must be awful at parties
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football