PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Should the AAC invite TCU and Tech to Join?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Should the AAC invite TCU and Tech to Join?

Postby Dukie » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:37 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I think/hope the OP is joking

I think everything is going to blow up around 2021 right before the GORs expire

Biggest issue that no one talks about that could impact realignment before that is Notre Dame- what if (and this is probably a big what if) they get controversially left out of the playoff? Undoubtedly people will say that a contributing reason they were snubbed was because of not playing a conference championship game. Do they then look to join the ACC? I think the ACC is the only conference they'll join - they want east coast exposure (i.e. not the Big Ten), and they're already a member for other sports. Their current NBC contract is through 2025, but I'm sure the ACC would find a way to make that work by letting them keep their rights for now and easing them into the conference TV deal. They already play five or so ACC teams every year, so the transition wouldn't be too difficult. That would in turn solidify the ACC, but they'd need a 16th member- UConn? Cincy? West Virginia? If the ACC sticks together, what does the SEC do? Do they need to expand past 14? Same for the Big Ten - who would they add - Does Kansas really move the needle? OU?

Notre Dame has already signed a GOR-type contract with the ACC that if they join a football conference before 2025, it will be the ACC.
Dukie
Heisman

Re: Should the AAC invite TCU and Tech to Join?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 am

mustangxc wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:Big 12 poaches SMU, UH, USF, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati and UConn, then AAC would poach CUSA and get Rice, NTSU, FAU, FIU, Middle Tennessee, western kentucky and Marshall...oh and Wichita State.

That would leave the conference at 13 teams. I think Temple would be invited as well to get to 14 teams. Solid football conference and power conference in hoops.

SMU
TCU
Houston
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCONN
Temple
Memphis
UCF
USF

No matter what you call it that's a fun conference. And, given four or more years to improve on the gridiron, one we'd do very well in.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football