PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Great Eddie Printz Located

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Great Eddie Printz Located

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 pm

mrydel wrote:And I had to stand up, walk across the room to change the channel and then adjust the rabbit ears.

And I loved it.

You forgot to mention how many times you tripped on the shag carpet.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:10 pm

mrydel wrote:Not in Arkansas. You had to watch the scores on the 10:20 sports or wait until the morning paper. Then you had to hope it did not run too late to have the score printed.

Didn't they have the Humble (Exxon) SWC Radio Network back in the Day. I thought you probably grew up listening to Kern Tips

Wow found a great video of Kern Tips calling Doak Walker highlites-never heard this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSVa4RELMk
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 am

I used to call the sports section of the Arkansas Gazette around 11PM and get he SMU score.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 am

If there was a game on the radio it was an Arkansas game. Late at night, on occasion I could tune in a station from somewhere very faintly with an SMU game. Could only hold the broadcast for a few minutes then would fade out.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am

hmm in Texas one of the advantages of that Network was that all SWC games for all schools were mandated to be broadcast statewide-Connie Alexander (UT), Dave South (A&M), Jack Dale (Tech), Frank Fallon(Baylor), were some of the announcers I remember. SMU used trade off local talent like Brad Sham, Al Wisk. When there was only 2-3 games on per day Radio was HUGE
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:02 am

mrydel wrote:If there was a game on the radio it was an Arkansas game. Late at night, on occasion I could tune in a station from somewhere very faintly with an SMU game. Could only hold the broadcast for a few minutes then would fade out.

That certainly paralleled my experience in GA in the 1960's. You heard GA and GT and some SEC games on the radio. Sometimes I'd drive away from home a short distance hoping for better reception of a game from the SWC on the car radio.

For some time my mother-in-law, who was great, tossed all the sports sections in a box and I'd read them when we visited Dallas. I saw a lot of Blackie Sherrod columns that way. Later, during the Pony Express days, I subscribed to both Dallas papers because news delivered by snail mail five days later was better than nothing - the ATL papers oft times had about four lines on an SMU game, if it made the Sunday paper at all.

One thing, the Atlanta coverage of GT and UGA was excellent. The annual freshman game was a huge thing in those days. It drew bigger crowds than SMU has had in a long time. The Atlanta papers published pictures and bios for the three deep on both [freshman] squads. So far as highschools were concerned there was only one good program in the country and that was Valdosta which was very, very good under Wright Bazemore.

Texas Football was a prized possession.

Looking back, I wasn't smart enough to do what Arkpony mentions. I should have called the sport department at the AJC! LOL.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Stallion wrote:hmm in Texas one of the advantages of that Network was that all SWC games for all schools were mandated to be broadcast statewide-Connie Alexander (UT), Dave South (A&M), Jack Dale (Tech), Frank Fallon(Baylor), were some of the announcers I remember. SMU used trade off local talent like Brad Sham, Al Wisk. When there was only 2-3 games on per day Radio was HUGE

Did Jay Randolf do football and/or just basketball before going national?
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:15 pm

mrydel wrote:And I had to stand up, walk across the room to change the channel and then adjust the rabbit ears.

And I loved it.

In grad school, I was too lazy to walk across the room to change the channel. Because my apartment was so small, I discovered that I could use a stick to push the button on my Top Loading VCR and change the channel.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:22 pm

I remember having to "dial in" the UHF channels like a safe cracker when they came out. Wonder what happened to them. Guess they are just floating out in space.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:00 pm

mrydel wrote:I remember having to "dial in" the UHF channels like a safe cracker when they came out. Wonder what happened to them. Guess they are just floating out in space.

Haha my dad had one of those rotating antennas he controlled from the television set in the Attic
One Trick Pony

Postby Junior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I remember having to "dial in" the UHF channels like a safe cracker when they came out. Wonder what happened to them. Guess they are just floating out in space.

Haha my dad had one of those rotating antennas he controlled from the television set in the Attic

you had a tv in the attic?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Junior wrote:
Glenn Sosbee wrote:
mrydel wrote:He was great in Chico and the Man
Funny...until you realize how old you have to be to get it. Didn't that guy off himself?

yep. pistol to the head.

Pistol shot to the head, not a bad alternative to being in that crappy show.

Sanford and Son ruled!
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football