PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll - Greatest Sports Scandal

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Which is the greatest sports scandal?

A) Baylorgate I (the Dave Bliss affair)
16%
B) Baylorgate II (the sexual assault allegations)
8%
C) 1919 Chicago Black Sox's scandal
19%
D) Univ. of North Carolina academic fraud
No votes
E) Penn State/Sandusky Scandal
46%
F) Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan affair
3%
G) 1978-1979 Boston College point shaving scandal
No votes
H) Pony Excess Scandal
8%
I) The two Escobars; Andre Escobar assassination after the own goal
No votes
J) other - explain
No votes

Total votes : 37

Poll - Greatest Sports Scandal

Postby Statler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Discuss
Statler
Hall of Famer

Re: Poll - Greatest Sports Scandal

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Since baseball was pretty much the only sport the entire country followed during the early 20th century the Black Sox scandal was my vote. Imagine 8 players being banned for life from a major 4 sport today, that is crazy.

I would also include the Pete Rose scandal and the recent FIFA charges because the whole world pretty much cares about what FIFA does
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby leopold » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Blacksox.

That could have killed MLB.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Statler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:31 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:Since baseball was pretty much the only sport the entire country followed during the early 20th century the Black Sox scandal was my vote. Imagine 8 players being banned for life from a major 4 sport today, that is crazy.

I would also include the Pete Rose scandal and the recent FIFA charges because the whole world pretty much cares about what FIFA does

I thought about including the FIFA scandal but that has not necessarily been proven with tangible results (yes I know the UNC has not been "proven").
Statler
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:49 pm

The current Baylor mess has so many emerging parts that it may top even the PSU horror...LEO questions, possible involvement in coverup of crimes, whispers of intimidation of alleged victims, and the mystery of the McLennan County DA's reluctance to dig deeper on outstanding cases all are still out there, and will only keep this alive longer. Baylor desperately wants something else to draw the current scrutiny off of them. They have wisely "shut up" and written in severance packages the need to keep silent (thus Briles' "statement") and let their attorneys do the talking...smart for Baylor, but another hit on them from a PR standpoint for appearing to play the next round of CYA.

The quiet exodus of students and athletes at Baylor so far just got a bit more volume...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 pm

Left out the Tulane point shaving (1985) and Arizona State, Northwestern point shaving scandals. Probably should just lump them together in the NCAA's mens basketball point shaving tradition.

How about Derrick Rose affair at Memphis. He gets accepted and plays a season and Memphis goes to the NCAA finals in basketball and the whole time someone else took his ACT and he never attended a class.

What about Minnesota's academic fraud in the mid 1990s involving Mens basketball?

Gotta love the Georgia academic fraud in the early 2000s. The Men's BB coach had his son, SON, teach classes and give players that never attended class As. Now that is ingenuity.

One could throw in Woody Hayes hitting an opponent's player during a game.

Can one seriously leave out the Reggie Bush/vacated Heisman Trophy fiasco? He had to give back his Heisman!

So many possibilities.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:31 am

Then there was the night I snuck Betty Lou into my dorm room. She was a good sport in a scandalous type of way.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyte » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 am

mrydel wrote:Then there was the night I snuck Betty Lou into my dorm room. She was a good sport in a scandalous type of way.

I remember you telling me about that. If I remember right, you were proud of 'the pitch' you made that night.
ponyte

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:15 am

peruna81 wrote:The current Baylor mess has so many emerging parts that it may top even the PSU horror...LEO questions, possible involvement in coverup of crimes, whispers of intimidation of alleged victims, and the mystery of the McLennan County DA's reluctance to dig deeper on outstanding cases all are still out there, and will only keep this alive longer. Baylor desperately wants something else to draw the current scrutiny off of them. They have wisely "shut up" and written in severance packages the need to keep silent (thus Briles' "statement") and let their attorneys do the talking...smart for Baylor, but another hit on them from a PR standpoint for appearing to play the next round of CYA.

The quiet exodus of students and athletes at Baylor so far just got a bit more volume...

In the new Baylor scandal, the reaction of the Baylor fans is simply an abomination. They simply do not care what Briles did or did not do to contribute to/cause/coverup the problems there.
- Despite overwhelming evidence of guilt, they seem to think Tevin Elliott and Sam Ukwuachu were somehow set up by women looking to ???
- They think that it was OK for Devon Chafin to bruise his girlfriend and that she is looking to score money.
- Nobody seems concerned that they pulled the scholarship of Ukwuachu's victim. Nobody seems concerned that the judge essentially mocked their "investigation" into her rape allegations.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:17 am

ponyte wrote:Can one seriously leave out the Reggie Bush/vacated Heisman Trophy fiasco? He had to give back his Heisman!

So many possibilities.

OJ killed two people and kept his Heisman.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am

Digetydog wrote:In the new Baylor scandal, the reaction of the Baylor fans is simply an abomination. They simply do not care what Briles did or did not do to contribute to/cause/coverup the problems there.
- Despite overwhelming evidence of guilt, they seem to think Tevin Elliott and Sam Ukwuachu were somehow set up by women looking to ???
- They think that it was OK for Devon Chafin to bruise his girlfriend and that she is looking to score money.
- Nobody seems concerned that they pulled the scholarship of Ukwuachu's victim. Nobody seems concerned that the judge essentially mocked their "investigation" into her rape allegations.

My wife, sorry to say, is a Baylor grad. When this first surfaced last year from the Texas Monthly article she and I were appalled. I couldn't believe any school would pull the scholarship of a player that went through this (for if my memory is correct poor performance). It was embarrassing to see how she was treated at Baylor, and made even worse when the conviction came down. Long story short, my wife went onto FB and stated how disappointed she was at her school and how if our daughter was old enough to attend we would (as best we could) refuse to support her going to Baylor. Her Baylor friends were astonished and ridiculed her. The scary part is they are all still making the same excuses you wrote about in regards to the firings and allegations that are coming out:

- "it's the girls fault "they were asking for it"
- "this is a conspiracy by (UT, A&M, etc.) to bring down Baylor football"
- "this is what it takes if you want to compete for a NC"
- "this happens everywhere and is no big deal"

The list goes on and on and is pretty sickening. Especially when this goes beyond just football and reaches all female students on campus.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Even a school as "enlightened" as Stanford seems to try and trivialize these crimes.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby smitty329 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:14 pm

No one mentioned that scandal at a Texas school where they paid a Head Football Coach $2 Million to sit around and pout for a year when he didn't get the job he wanted at another school.
smitty329
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Digetydog wrote:
ponyte wrote:Can one seriously leave out the Reggie Bush/vacated Heisman Trophy fiasco? He had to give back his Heisman!

So many possibilities.

OJ killed two people and kept his Heisman.

Didn't it get taken in the civil ruling?
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:01 pm

ponyte wrote:
mrydel wrote:Then there was the night I snuck Betty Lou into my dorm room. She was a good sport in a scandalous type of way.

I remember you telling me about that. If I remember right, you were proud of 'the pitch' you made that night.

I told you to stop that until you move back to Little Rock.
mrydel

Next

Return to Football