PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll - Greatest Sports Scandal

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Which is the greatest sports scandal?

A) Baylorgate I (the Dave Bliss affair)
16%
B) Baylorgate II (the sexual assault allegations)
8%
C) 1919 Chicago Black Sox's scandal
19%
D) Univ. of North Carolina academic fraud
No votes
E) Penn State/Sandusky Scandal
46%
F) Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan affair
3%
G) 1978-1979 Boston College point shaving scandal
No votes
H) Pony Excess Scandal
8%
I) The two Escobars; Andre Escobar assassination after the own goal
No votes
J) other - explain
No votes

Total votes : 37

Re: Poll - Greatest Sports Scandal

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:13 pm

EastStang wrote:Even a school as "enlightened" as Stanford seems to try and trivialize these crimes.

The response from the Stanford community was swift, appropriate and fair. First, two students saw what was happening and acted to stop it. Second, Stanford quickly "investigated" the incident and banned the rapist from campus. Finally, Stanford cooperated with the police investigation and the prosecution by the District Attorney.

Unfortunately, the Judge thought the rape didn't deserve a prison sentence?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:09 pm

mrydel wrote:Then there was the night I snuck Betty Lou into my dorm room. She was a good sport in a scandalous type of way.

Clement has "__ _____", Mrydel has "The Betty Lou"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 pm

I didn't have time to look for the newspaper clippings from the early 70s but a scandal that was never given much scrutiny was the UT-Texas State Capitol printing shop scam. The Legislature paid some of the Longhorn football players to work in their print shop. Only one problem: There was no print shop. The newspaper accounts (don't remember if it was in the Statesman but I saw it in one of the Dallas papers) said "don't worry, NCAA not interested. " UTdid a self investigation and determined that it was all a big mistake and that the practice wouldn't continue.

You can add any number of UT athlete robberies of homeless street people, athlete sales of tickets to boosters, and creepy sexual assaults including second string quarterbacks who watched teammates cavorting with drunken women to the over-all list of smoke coming from the bonfire of violations in Austin.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:34 pm

I used to hunt with some UT players. They told me about a couple of their better teammates, one an All American running back who were given summer jobs guarding a beach in Hawaii for $2500/month. Lots of money in around 1970. I asked what hours they had to work and if they had to be armed. I was told I did not understand. They were to guard the beach. Lay on it, walk in it, keep your eye on it and make sure no one stole the beach.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 am

In no particular order the list should have included:

The CCNY point shaving, ca 1949,which was well known in its day.

The West Point cheating scandal in 1951 which included the dismissal of 37 football players.

The 1980 "no mas" fight with Sugar Ray Leonard where Roberto Duran quit and took the money and ran.

Really, you could make a list of boxing scandals alone, including several involving Ali, in and out of the ring, although he became an ionic figure.
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football