PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor and Bill Cosby

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor and Bill Cosby

Postby Topper » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Not to belabor the problems down on the Brazos River, but does anyone else remember or find it ironic that Bill Cosby was part of the basketball scandal story? Once that nasty bit of business became public and the university went into damage control mode, they organized a rally for all students and the Waco community at large at the old football Stadium. The surprise guest motivational speaker: Bill Cosby!

I always thought that a pep talk from Bill Cosby was an odd choice. Turns out to have been prophetic?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Baylor and Bill Cosby

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Believe SMU gave him an honorary degree when he spoke at graduation one year
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:41 pm

PonySnob wrote:Believe SMU gave him an honorary degree when he spoke at graduation one year

https://sites.smu.edu/des/registrar/HonoraryDegrees/?a=bio&pid=281&name=William%20(Bill)%20Cosby

William (Bill) H. Cosby , Jr.
Doctor of Arts 1995
As one of America's most successful and widely recognized entertainers, Bill Cosby is perhaps best known for his role as Dr. Huxtable, father and husband in one of America's most beloved television families. In this role and in many other ways, he has shown that humor can be an effective tool for bringing people together, and for communicating simple truths and strong values. He has written a number of books with humorous perspectives on family life and the issues of aging and is a successful businessman. Dr. Cosby earned a Master of Arts degree and a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Massachusetts, and he never has forgotten the impact of education on his life. He has contributed generous amounts of time and money to help educate and motivate the nation's youth. His contributions range from appearances on "Sesame Street" to a $20 million gift to Spelman College. Forbes magazine has aptly described Dr. Cosby as a "humanely humorous genius." For his significant achievements and insights opening hearts and minds to the issues of humanity, and for his generosity on behalf of higher education, Southern Methodist University is honored to confer upon William H. Cosby, Jr. the degree of Doctor of Arts, honoris causa.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby leopold » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:39 am

We're not the only one.

I was sorry to hear the accusations about Bill. He always made me laugh and reminded me of my own grandfather. But there is no way anyone - not us, not Baylor, no one - could have seen this coming twenty years ago.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:24 am

One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:04 am

smupony94

Postby Topper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 am

leopold wrote:We're not the only one.

I was sorry to hear the accusations about Bill. He always made me laugh and reminded me of my own grandfather. But there is no way anyone - not us, not Baylor, no one - could have seen this coming twenty years ago.

Thus the irony
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 am

leopold wrote:We're not the only one.

Exactly. Any school that honored Cosby before his criminal conduct became known is not responsible for his later conduct.

But bringing Briles back is ...
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football