PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Art Briles Returns?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Art Briles Returns?

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 am

A Tech friend of mine had been rumoring about this all weekend. Apparently they may be bringing him back? I hope they get crucified.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 58293.html
PerunasHoof
All-American

Re: Art Briles Returns?

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 am

smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 am

Sorry, just saw you posted that in another thread.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:04 am

This would be terrible. You fire the University President, the AD resigns all over this scandal but the guy with a direct connection to this skates with a one year suspension. It's a sad to watch people sell there souls for college football. Sad.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:49 am

Not to disagree with you, but it appears each party has their own failings. Not to defend Briles, but it was their President that basically had no effective Title IX policies or programs in place at the university. It was the President that had been reporting to various agencies and US News that their record was absolutely clean. When top programs like Stanford report over 40+ during the same period, and Baylor zero, the entire Baylor culture is sick, not just the football program.

Note: the Baylor fan board says Stanford had 26 and they reported 4 last year.
Last edited by Mexmustang on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:05 am

Mexmustang wrote:Not to disagree with you, but it appears each party has their own failings. Not to defend Briles, but it was their President that basically had no effective Title IX policies or programs in place at the university. It was the President that had been reporting to various agencies and US News that their record was absolutely clean. When top programs like Stanford report over 40+ during the same period, and Baylor zero, the entire Baylor culture is sick, not just the football program.

I agree and understand. Just saying Briles knew things and from the findings it appears that he and/or his staff were actively engaging victims to keep them silent on the matters at hand.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:19 am

Agree.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:25 am

ericdickerson4life wrote: Just saying Briles knew things and from the findings it appears that he and/or his staff were actively engaging victims to keep them silent on the matters at hand.

All of the folks mentioned didn't just "know things" - they all knew everything. Bet on it. This has become a joke. A sad joke.
Bergermeister

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:13 am

Mexmustang wrote:Not to disagree with you, but it appears each party has their own failings. Not to defend Briles, but it was their President that basically had no effective Title IX policies or programs in place at the university. It was the President that had been reporting to various agencies and US News that their record was absolutely clean. When top programs like Stanford report over 40+ during the same period, and Baylor zero, the entire Baylor culture is sick, not just the football program.
Note: the Baylor fan board says Stanford had 26 and they reported 4 last year.

At Stanford, two people minding their own business witnessed something that was wrong. Although they couldn't prevent a rape from happening, they acted and prevented the rape from continuing. Two grad students knew something was wrong and did something about it. How simple was that?

At Baylor, they didn't have a Title IX program for 3 years and nobody spoke up? Briles was recruiting players from Huntsville - nobody spoke up. Bennett was speaking out it favor of Sam U - nobody spoke up

If they bring Briles back, I would bet $100 that a plaintiff suing them uses it against them in the Title IX litigation -> Ongoing Hostile Environment.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am

No doubt this very sad and pathetic that Baylor would even consider retaining Briles but does it REALLY surprise anyone?? Regardless, it won't happen because if you think the Baylor bashing was bad before, this will take it to another level....and rightfully so.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Can you imagine the deposition and trial testimony where Baylor representatives are grilled by attorney's concerning his reinstatement as Head Coach after he was the one who brought numerous players with criminal records to campus? What affect would that have on punitive damages from a jury-I assume their recoverable under a private Title IX lawsuit- I can't see how this could possibly be an option for Baylor
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby TidePony » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Will the NCAA get involved in this?
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Here is the calculation Baylor is probably making right now: On one hand, they can fire Briles and try and settle the inevitable contract case he would file to try and get his money. BU may or may be able to win a for cause case but it would be ugly, expensive and they might not win. Or they can keep briles and get slaughtered in the press. BU will have to pay the victims a massive settlement anyway. The question I'm sure they are debating is the cost of getting rid of Briles v. the cost of the PR hit and their football program becoming irrelevant.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:38 pm

If Baylor keeps Briles, I'm giving Ron Meyer a call back...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:55 pm

I realize I could do a quick google search, but can someone give me a few sentences on what Title IX has to do with this case?
ponyboy

Next

Return to Football