PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Art Briles Returns?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Art Briles Returns?

Postby RyanSMU98 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:I realize I could do a quick google search, but can someone give me a few sentences on what Title IX has to do with this case?

Under Title IX, schools are obligated to report instances of sexual and other violence on their campus and provide support systems for victims. The Cliffs Notes version is that not only did Baylor fail in this obligation, they took it much further by coercing victims to not report and not providing any kind of support to the victims.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Insitutionalized sexual violence, and failure to take reasonable steps and implement policies to prevent sexual violence on campus, is a form of discrimination prohibited by Title IX.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:26 pm

I am trying to figure out when I moved to bizzaro world.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 pm

mrydel wrote:I am trying to figure out when I moved to bizzaro world.

welcome to 2016...

Say, when DID you move to Arkansas?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Why doesn't the NCAA fine or suspend Baylor for being title IX noncompliant, worse, negligent?
SMUer

Postby Oldmins » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:13 pm

SMUer wrote:Why doesn't the NCAA fine or suspend Baylor for being title IX noncompliant, worse, negligent?

Bingo!
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:23 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I realize I could do a quick google search, but can someone give me a few sentences on what Title IX has to do with this case?

Under Title IX, schools are obligated to report instances of sexual and other violence on their campus and provide support systems for victims. The Cliffs Notes version is that not only did Baylor fail in this obligation, they took it much further by coercing victims to not report and not providing any kind of support to the victims.

Don't forget we are/were in Title IX trouble for not handling sexual assault reports fairly. Title IX is a lot more than equal athletic scholarships and opportunity.

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/southern-methodist-university-found-violation-title-ix-commits-remedy-harassment-sexual-assault-students

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) announced today that it has entered into a resolution agreement with Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas after finding SMU in violation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 for its response to gender-based and sexual harassment, including sexual assault. The agreement requires the university to take specific steps to come into compliance with Title IX. SMU is a private, four-year university with approximately 11,000 students.

“I appreciate Southern Methodist University’s strong commitment in this agreement to provide a safe and supportive educational environment for its students,” said Catherine E. Lhamon, assistant secretary for civil rights. “I look forward to working with Southern Methodist University in its implementation of the agreement."

Following its investigation, OCR determined that SMU violated Title IX by failing to promptly and equitably respond to student complaints of gender-based harassment and sexual violence, including sexual assault, and to reports of retaliatory harassment.

OCR concluded that the institution’s failure to respond promptly and equitably to complaints of sexual assault of a male student by another male student and of subsequent retaliatory harassment from other students resulted in a continued sexually hostile environment for the male victim, ultimately leading to the student’s withdrawal from the university. The office also found that SMU’s sexual harassment and sexual violence policies and its nondiscrimination notice do not comply with Title IX requirements.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:25 pm

The Hardline just said that the Rangers and Astros owners are two of the big donors who want to keep Briles. I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby leopold » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Stallion wrote:Can you imagine the deposition and trial testimony where Baylor representatives are grilled by attorney's concerning his reinstatement as Head Coach after he was the one who brought numerous players with criminal records to campus? What affect would that have on punitive damages from a jury-I assume their recoverable under a private Title IX lawsuit- I can't see how this could possibly be an option for Baylor

Exactly!

Isn't this going to force Baylor to publicly go through the Pepper Hamilton report, line by line? They are going to have to get into specifics about what happened in order to justify bringing him back?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:46 pm

smupony94

Postby jpe747 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:54 am

Discussing this with others unrelated to this board (although several came at the Mustang Club 'Backyard BBQ, so they might be on this board), it seemed that the general consensus was that Baylor would have a hard time finding a worthy coach to stick his head out for Baylor. Too much baggage. I am one of those who feel that way. There is a lot at stake and Baylor still has to confront numerous problems from this debacle. What major coach of any stature would want that job? (That includes Coach Morris).

Briles is perfect. He is tarnished goods. He's not going to find another major school ready to make him head coach. But, he is a proven winner. At Baylor, he has name recognition with recruits. It will cost money, but Briles might be the best choice to keep the BU program going in the direction many Baylor alumni desire. So, he is a logical choice and perhaps the best choice.

Please don't misunderstand this. I disapprove of their choice. And, if they have miscalculated, they will pay dearly for their choice.
jpe747
Heisman

Art Briles Returns?

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:24 am

I'd like to note, some number exceeding half of all D1 schools are under investigation or have recently settled Title IX cases with the govt. It is a big point of contention, rightfully so, as many of these cases center around reporting and post-incident support. What differs the Baylor case from the majority of these is...well...they completely ignored the requirements for the program at multiple levels. Many schools have been hit for not providing adequate support systems. Baylor actively punished some victims and intimidated others. To compare most current cases to Baylor is to compare that 18 year old busted for hooking up with his 17 year old girlfriend to Sandusky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:

Don't forget we are/were in Title IX trouble for not handling sexual assault reports fairly. Title IX is a lot more than equal athletic scholarships and opportunity.

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/southern-methodist-university-found-violation-title-ix-commits-remedy-harassment-sexual-assault-students

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) announced today that it has entered into a resolution agreement with Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas after finding SMU in violation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 for its response to gender-based and sexual harassment, including sexual assault. The agreement requires the university to take specific steps to come into compliance with Title IX. SMU is a private, four-year university with approximately 11,000 students.

“I appreciate Southern Methodist University’s strong commitment in this agreement to provide a safe and supportive educational environment for its students,” said Catherine E. Lhamon, assistant secretary for civil rights. “I look forward to working with Southern Methodist University in its implementation of the agreement."

Following its investigation, OCR determined that SMU violated Title IX by failing to promptly and equitably respond to student complaints of gender-based harassment and sexual violence, including sexual assault, and to reports of retaliatory harassment.

OCR concluded that the institution’s failure to respond promptly and equitably to complaints of sexual assault of a male student by another male student and of subsequent retaliatory harassment from other students resulted in a continued sexually hostile environment for the male victim, ultimately leading to the student’s withdrawal from the university. The office also found that SMU’s sexual harassment and sexual violence policies and its nondiscrimination notice do not comply with Title IX requirements.

Right. To add on to this....I think it is important to note that the SMU complaints were back in 2013 and were resolved in 2014. Here it is 2016 and Baylor still hasn't addressed their Title IX shortcomings.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:Baylor actively punished some victims and intimidated others.

Who did the punishing and intimidation?
ponyboy

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Baylor actively punished some victims and intimidated others.

Who did the punishing and intimidation?

The school took away A victims soccer scholarship while her attacker was kept on a FB scholarship even though he was suspended pending the trial - he was convicted. While she was still in school, they told her that it was her responsibility to change classes if she wanted to avoid him.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football