PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Art Briles Returns?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Art Briles Returns?

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:17 am

Ponyboy: the link here points to Baylor's Board of Regents Report which summarizes the Pepper Hamilton (law firm hired by Baylor) report. The full Pepper Hamilton report has not been released - this report may be slanted towards Baylor's point of view but we won't know unless the Pepper Hamilton report gets released at some point. Even in this abbreviated format, the findings of fact are quite clear in establishing that, unfortunately, the football coaching staff and university administration both were culpable of creating an environment that was protective of the accused rather than investigative on behalf of the accusers.

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:31 pm

03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:06 pm

CalallenStang wrote:Even in this abbreviated format, the findings of fact are quite clear in establishing that, unfortunately, the football coaching staff and university administration both were culpable of creating an environment that was protective of the accused rather than investigative on behalf of the accusers.

Man, I read that but all I got was that Baylor as in institution didn't implement Title IX effectively. That means, on its face, it could be reasonable to fire the President and AD and suspend the coach for a year. We're missing key facts from just reading the Pepper summary report.

Look, I'm not defending anyone. But statements like Art Briles "had to have known x or y" are good as hot sports opinions but hardly worthy as anything more than opinion. It's important, IMO, to be a little more sober in a situation of this magnitude.
ponyboy

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Even in this abbreviated format, the findings of fact are quite clear in establishing that, unfortunately, the football coaching staff and university administration both were culpable of creating an environment that was protective of the accused rather than investigative on behalf of the accusers.

Man, I read that but all I got was that Baylor as in institution didn't implement Title IX effectively. That means, on its face, that it could be reasonable to fire the President and AD and suspend the coach for a year. We're missing key facts from just reading the Pepper summary report.

Look, I'm not defending anyone. But statements like Art Briles "had to have known x or y" are good as hot sports opinions but hardly worthy of anything more than opinion. It's important, IMO, to be a little more sober in a situation of this magnitude.

I agree with you that it's important not to blend established fact with unknowns. However, this is known:

The choices made by football staff and athletics leadership, in some instances, posed a risk to campus safety and the integrity of the University. In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics. In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct.

Assume with me for a second that Briles knew nothing. I would contend that just on this basis he should be fired - it's his staff that he hired and he should have been a better judge of character. He further is responsible for creating the atmosphere within the program.

Further, I agree with this article regarding the enrollment of Ukwuachu at Baylor:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/baylo ... ntroversy/

If Petersen didn’t tell Briles, he should have. If Briles didn’t ask, he should have. If Briles didn’t know, he should have.
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm

This thread proves yet again that one poster can ruin an entire thread-because one poster routinely doesn't know the facts of what he is talking about
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:59 pm

03Mustang wrote:It's about to get a LOT uglier.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/a ... tes-baylor

I find this article very interesting, and granted this is me trying to read between the lines, but for him to have this kind of reaction makes me wonder if he was told he was being fired for cause, no buyout, no nothing. It will be very interesting to see what else comes out in the next few days in terms of pressure to release the full report.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:11 pm

This thread proves yet again that one poster can ruin an entire thread-because one poster routinely doesn't know the facts of what he is talking about.

My thoughts exactly Stallion.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Stallion, could Brile's employment contract with Baylor require him to assign them the right to settle the suit against him so long as the dollar figure is within the limits of a liability policy?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Topper wrote:Stallion, could Brile's employment contract with Baylor require him to assign them the right to settle the suit against him so long as the dollar figure is within the limits of a liability policy?

In all probability BU is required by his contract and/or the school's relevant operating documents to indemnify an employee for a wrongful act committed in the course and scope of his job. Typically, the indemnity obligation is not limited by any insurance policy provisions. But, there are usually ways to settle a case in this kind of situation.

Btw - If Briles' motion is factually correct about the alleged conflicts by the attorneys assigned to represent him, they need to place their malpractice insurers on notice tomorrow and sign up for a CLE course on ethics.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Topper wrote:Stallion, could Brile's employment contract with Baylor require him to assign them the right to settle the suit against him so long as the dollar figure is within the limits of a liability policy?

In all probability BU is required by his contract and/or the school's relevant operating documents to indemnify an employee for a wrongful act committed in the course and scope of his job. Typically, the indemnity obligation is not limited by any insurance policy provisions. But, there are usually ways to settle a case in this kind of situation.

Btw - If Briles' motion is factually correct about the alleged conflicts by the attorneys assigned to represent him, they need to place their malpractice insurers on notice tomorrow and sign up for a CLE course on ethics.

I assumed all along that Briles was personally covered by a policy provided by Baylor. So I am not sure what conflict the lawyers would have if the settlement is within policy limits and he has no further exposure.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby 03Mustang » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Stallion wrote:This thread proves yet again that one poster can ruin an entire thread-because one poster routinely doesn't know the facts of what he is talking about

Same guy who told us all to lay off JJ starting in about 2011 when it was clear to everyone else what was happening. Why am I not surprised?
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:26 pm

There is a reason you have an attorney...to represent your legal interests, and to counsel you as a client for the best outcome. Baylor has lawyers that are trying to represent the university, keep anything put out by the university on the same script, and stop the PR bleeding.

At the same time, you have boosters that have weighed in with their own thoughts and desires, which complicates the legal team's job all the more. Couple that with the media pressure and you have Baylor's perfect storm.

Briles has lawyered up, as has Starr, the alleged victims, the alleged assailants...everyone, including some recruits and current players are checking in with legal help. The interesting thing is that not only are the lawyers going to be well paid in this kabuki theater (as they should be), but it will raise expenses for Baylor exponentially in every case.

Win for everyone that is not Baylor
Last edited by peruna81 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:16 pm

This entire thread just reinforced that ponyboy is a moron.
skyscraper

Postby Statler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 pm

Been monitoring the Baylor fans board. Something new -
Says settlements done deal w/ CAB. Amazing what a threat to keep litigation continuing on the defendant's side can do. BU does not want that report published (my humble opinion).
Statler
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:46 am

Arkpony wrote:This thread proves yet again that one poster can ruin an entire thread-because one poster routinely doesn't know the facts of what he is talking about.

My thoughts exactly Stallion.

Curious what said person does for a living.

Strongly doubt it requires any leadership / true decision-making capacity.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football