PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Art Briles Returns?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Art Briles Returns?

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:16 am

Topper wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
Topper wrote:Stallion, could Brile's employment contract with Baylor require him to assign them the right to settle the suit against him so long as the dollar figure is within the limits of a liability policy?

In all probability BU is required by his contract and/or the school's relevant operating documents to indemnify an employee for a wrongful act committed in the course and scope of his job. Typically, the indemnity obligation is not limited by any insurance policy provisions. But, there are usually ways to settle a case in this kind of situation.

Btw - If Briles' motion is factually correct about the alleged conflicts by the attorneys assigned to represent him, they need to place their malpractice insurers on notice tomorrow and sign up for a CLE course on ethics.

I assumed all along that Briles was personally covered by a policy provided by Baylor. So I am not sure what conflict the lawyers would have if the settlement is within policy limits and he has no further exposure.

It is black letter law that Briles cannot be forced to accept representation from the same law firm (or attorneys) that represents Baylor in the employment dispute. Even if there was no conflict when they started representing Briles, the attorneys had a legal obligation to address the conflict once it developed. He alleges they didn't.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Looks like the Briles threat worked amazingly well:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... settlement

Wonder how much of the 40 million he gets to keep?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 pm

smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 pm

smupony94 wrote:http://www.myeasttex.com/news/local-news/law-firm-art-briles-a-no-show-after-promising-to-apologize-to-rape-victim

........on advice from his attorney. Smart move.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:36 pm

Yeah cause he already used that as leverage to get a settlement. Rassrole.
smusic 00

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 pm

! !
RGV Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 am

Stallion wrote:This thread proves yet again that one poster can ruin an entire thread-because one poster routinely doesn't know the facts of what he is talking about.

Arkpony wrote: My thoughts exactly Stallion.

SoCal_Pony wrote:Curious what said person does for a living. Strongly doubt it requires any leadership / true decision-making capacity.

Lol, wow. I'd humbly suggest you don't just blindly give in to Stallion's typical smear tactics -- never seen a guy with a longer memory and a more focused, petty, vendetta-based agenda.

I don't know the facts? Duh. Go back and reread what I wrote. I said I haven't been paying attention to this case and don't trust google to provide a clear, true picture. So, right, I don't know the facts and asked posters who have been paying attention to comment.

Anyway... Callallen, your points were well taken. We know that Briles knew. Thanks for pointing that out. Cheers.
ponyboy

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:56 pm

I like stallion's smear tactics
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 pm

smupony94

Postby SMU89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:10 pm

We love Waco, and know you will too?
SMU89

Postby Dukie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am

ponyboy wrote:I don't know the facts? Duh. Go back and reread what I wrote. I said I haven't been paying attention to this case and don't trust google to provide a clear, true picture. So, right, I don't know the facts and asked posters who have been paying attention to comment.

You've said you don't trust those with a "rag to sell," and you don't trust the Google, and you don't see any takeaways from the released summary of Baylor's own law firm's report.

You are paying attention to the case. You're just determined not to reach well-supported conclusions.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:39 am

This is very similar to ponyboy defending JJ despite a mountain of evidence against him. Maybe Art spoke at his church recently?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:25 am

If you don't trust Google or any form of journalism, why on earth would you trust a message board?

Case in point- go read Baylor fans. Good lord. Watching their football program get nuked back to the stone age couldn't have happened to a better group of people.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:If you don't trust Google or any form of journalism, why on earth would you trust a message board?

I had the same thought.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:27 pm

I didn't say I don't trust any form of journalism. There are good and reliable sources out there. Problem is even they generally assume you've been glued to your tv or iPhone or radio or computer or whatever 24x7 and just need the "latest." I don't know of any way to get a good, reliable summary of a story that's developed over a number of days other than asking another human being to tell you what they know. I know many posters here, some personally like Calallen. So I asked.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football