PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 on Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big 12 on Baylor

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 pm

Just saw a report that the Big 12 is "gravely concerned" (I think that's the words that were used) about the way Baylor handled scandal/investigation, and wants the school to provide a full report or update.

If the Big 12's rules and policies are public, I certainly don't claim to have read them. Surely this statement from the conference can't be interpreted as a precursor to an effort to push Baylor out, can it?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Big 12 on Baylor

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:59 pm

PonyPride wrote: Surely this statement from the conference can't be interpreted as a precursor to an effort to push Baylor out, can it?

If that is what you personally want to happen to Baylor then I guess you can interpret it anyway you want. But I don't think Baylor is going anywhere like Penn St did not go anywhere.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:26 am

No, that's not where I was going with that. Just reacting to what I'd read.

But in a talk show tonight, Tim McMahon and Jean-Jacques Taylor were discussing the Big 12's statement, and McMahon suggested that it might be exactly that. He declared that Baylor is heading back to the middle or bottom of the conference, and said that in his opinion, the league would be better off bouncing Baylor and replacing it with Houston.

JJT, to his credit, brought up SMU — not that he was saying SMU should replace UH, but at least that it should be considered.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 am

There are lots of correspondents on this board who know immensely more than I about college football history.

As for my self I can't recall an instance when a conference voted to expel a member on account of a morals charge. We have heard the argument that SMU was left behind because of the problems resulting in the death penalty but our circumstances were not, IMO, any way comparable with those of Baylor.

No Quarter
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:24 am

Can a conference, in this day and age, actually vote out a member? Can it actually be done? The process would have to be clearly spelled out in the conference by-laws. How is the money handled? Baylor hoops has earned NCAA tournament credits - do those revert to the school, the school's new conference or does the Big XII get to keep them? How would that affect the TV contracts and would the TV networks get the final say? Even though Baylor doesn't have a big national following, they still represent an asset to the networks (granted an asset that has dropped in value). Would this action open the conference up to lawsuits from the networks?
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:42 am

Why did Temple get kicked out of the Big East for a period of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:20 am

Did not invest in their program
smupony94

Postby NTXCoog » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 am

smupony94 wrote:Did not invest in their program

They were also football only. If they were all sports, they might have been fine with their basketball history.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Can the AAC publicly invite Baylor for membership or would that be bad form? :twisted:
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:02 pm

I get the feeling that the Big 12 is simply doing the CYA thing in case the full report ever does go public...that way, they appear to be ahead of the wave of disgust and shame. It is good, higher ground that they can perch on until this episode fades from the public's scrutiny.

Baylor, alas, is going nowhere.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:39 pm

This ^^^

TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 pm

mtrout wrote:Can the AAC publicly invite Baylor for membership or would that be bad form? :twisted:

No way it happens, but how funny would that be??

On another note, let's say peruna81 is right and that the Big 12 wants to be out in front of this in case it ever becomes public. Question for the lawyers on here: as a private school, Baylor is not required to release much of anything. But if all of this Pepper Hamilton stuff gets turned over to the conference, is it then subject to public record requests by the media?
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby malonish » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:14 am

PonyPride wrote:Just saw a report that the Big 12 is "gravely concerned" (I think that's the words that were used) about the way Baylor handled scandal/investigation, and wants the school to provide a full report or update.

If the Big 12's rules and policies are public, I certainly don't claim to have read them. Surely this statement from the conference can't be interpreted as a precursor to an effort to push Baylor out, can it?

It's called Virtue Signalling. They know no real action will come out but need to announce how virtuous they are.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 am

malonish wrote:
PonyPride wrote:Just saw a report that the Big 12 is "gravely concerned" (I think that's the words that were used) about the way Baylor handled scandal/investigation, and wants the school to provide a full report or update.

It's called Virtue Signalling. They know no real action will come out but need to announce how virtuous they are.

In direct contradiction with how Baylor handled this at every turn, the Big12 is practicing at least basic level PR skills.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby malonish » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
malonish wrote:

In direct contradiction with how Baylor handled this at every turn, the Big12 is practicing at least basic level PR skills.

Baylor practiced Apologist Signalling. They are America's first actual collegiate rape culture (implying that rape culture is not a common thing for colleges or the USA as a whole).

P.S.
1 in 5 is a myth.
http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5176

P.P.S
I like post scripting messages.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.