PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris to Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chad Morris to Baylor?

Postby Oldmins » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:36 pm

A very reasoned poster on BaylorFans who claims to be speaking for a member of the Baylor Board of Regents, in a LONG post, gives "inside" information to the BFans. He says that Chad Morris was contacted before Grobe was hired as interim, and that Morris was willing to "dump" SMU immediately and coach the Bears in 2016. Further, that there are five good and willing prospects to take over Baylor in 2017, and that Chad Morris is one of them. Go to BaylorFans for the LONG post, and the discussion.
Oldmins
Varsity

Re: Chad Morris to Baylor?

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:47 pm

No thanks
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whitwiki » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:49 pm

whitwiki
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Yeah
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby leopold » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 pm

OP,

I'll bet you an avatar he's not on the Baylor sideline for 2016.

Deal?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:49 pm

Yeah and butch Davis was gonna come to smu and Jimmy Johnson would've crawled on his hands and knees from stillwater. Both could've but never happened. Next.
RGV Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Chad was gonna bolt but they didn't want a long term solution so one of their bigwigs used his great influence to snag Grobe? Cool story bro.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:03 am

You should have shared the link to the post so we could have a sensible chuckle.

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:09 am

Here ya go;

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showth ... p?t=308960

I know many claim to have an insider's vantage point, some do it on twitter, some just throw it out here, and many are just gossiping.

But I have been privy to some insider revelations about the last month or so of Baylor football, and what isn't sensitive or detrimental to share I'd like to do so here to help some of you off of the ledge.

Here are some facts I've gathered that hopefully will squelch a few myths, you can contact me privately if you want sources, I also will not share salacious details here...nor do I know everything.

So without further ado, here I go.

WAS THE BOR VOTE TO TERMINATE BRILES 16-14?

This rumor was absolute NONSENSE.

I have it on good authority the actual numbers were 22-8, and the vote was taken TWICE with replicated vote numbers each time.

In fact, you'll note that the alleged "Big Money Donors" who lobbied for re-instatement didn't put up much of a fight once they were privately revealed the findings of the Pepper Hamilton oral report, even Drayton McLane, a good friend of Briles, didn't push the issue once facts were in his hand.

I realize we the fans are frustrated by the lack of transparency on the matter, and the post termination PR has been royally fumbled, but rest assured no conspiracy to damn Baylor football into oblivion has been hatched by the Board of Regents...though they have been rightfully chastised for allowing a disingenuous media agenda to swallow the narrative.

Art Briles settled, and for a relatively modest figure, and left quietly because he was indeed guilty of terminable offenses. That's painful to type, and it will probably be years before full details are public, but his handling of the Tevin Elliott situation was unacceptable...similarly Bob Stoops should be fired in Oklahoma, but that's not our house to sort out...though David Boren doesn't mind poking his head into ours.

WHEN WILL BAYLOR HIRE AN AD?

There is a favorite at this time, someone presently at a P5 program is going to be poached for a a considerable salary. No names have been given, but Baylor is willing to pay up to $1.5 million to secure the services of a top flight AD, a sum that dwarfs Ian McCaw's salary and is in the top tier of salaries for any AD in the entire NCAA.

Baylor means business, and fully intends to get the athletic department back on track ASAP. The university will double down and not let the existing $170 million debt on the stadium be in vain or go unpaid.

WHO WILL HIRE THE NEW COACH?

Ultimately the new AD, however the options put before him have been somewhat predetermined.

WHAT ARE THE COACHING OPTION'S FOR 2017 AND BEYOND?

Apparently Chad Morris was willing to dump SMU and come to Baylor IMMEDIATELY, as in be Baylor's coach in 2016.

The powers that be did not want to rush toward a long term hire, and Teaff used his influence to bring Jim Grobe into the fold for the interim.

Surprisingly, Grobe is very close to the Briles family, and has been a very stabilizing force with Briles' assistants staying this year...and some perhaps beyond.

It is not out of the question that Grobe is kept for 2017 as well, the thinking being floated about by the powers that be is that it would keep the Briles staff mostly in place, and Kendal Briles (someone I personally thought would most certainly be gone) would be groomed to takeover in 2018.

That is a legitimate discussion at this time, how serious it becomes will depend upon how this year unfolds.

Other than that it is confirmed that some obvious suspects are in the running: Phil Montgomery and Larry Fedora apparently top the wishlist at this time.

It is thought that a Montgomery hire would retain almost all the existing staff.

Chad Morris is also in the running, and his keen interest has been noted, Tom Herman's agent has also made it known that he is all ears.

Surprisingly to me, Dino Babers is not a name being floated about among the first choices at this time....perhaps do to his age or a large buyout, on that I can only speculate.

OUTLOOK FOR UPCOMING SEASON

Coaches and players are apparently optimistic Baylor is in a decent position to possibly even take a crack at the Big 12 title, perhaps that's the confidence competitors are supposed to default to in order to compete, but I'm glad they have it.

CONCLUSIONS:

The BOR actually did do the right thing by dismissing Art Briles, it was a painful and unwelcome decision, one that OU doesn't have the internal ethics to execute on Stoops despite having similar sins to Briles.

BUT the post termination PR has been an absolute botched nightmare, making a painful decision seem like a disaster...and our UT friends smelled some blood and were all too eager to oblige inflicting maximum damage on us while we were vulnerable.

I was surprised to learn Kendal Briles may still be at Baylor for the long haul, depending on if he is staffed with Montgomery or if groomed under Grobe in the short term to take over the whole enchilada as the top dog.

But in any event it would appear in 2017 one of five men will be on the Baylor sideline:

Phil Montgomery
Larry Fedora
Tom Herman
Jim Grobe
Chad Morris

And I would place the order of the names listed as the order of likelihood you'll see one of the above as the next Baylor coach.

I'm not a troll or an attention hound, so accuse me of stirring the rumor mill if you must, but my private conscience is clear that I speak only the truth, and have no desire to spread further allegations or rumors against our reeling program.

Bottom line is we are going to be more than ok going forward, we have good options ahead.

I NoZe and now you Noze too...
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:50 am

Oldmins wrote:A very reasoned poster on BaylorFans who claims to be speaking for a member of the Baylor Board of Regents, in a LONG post, gives "inside" information to the BFans. He says that Chad Morris was contacted before Grobe was hired as interim, and that Morris was willing to "dump" SMU immediately and coach the Bears in 2016. Further, that there are five good and willing prospects to take over Baylor in 2017, and that Chad Morris is one of them. Go to BaylorFans for the LONG post, and the discussion.

Those Kool Aid drinkers don't understand that Baylor is a [deleted] job right now.
1) no leadership in place - AD or President
2) Possible B12 & NCAA investigation/sanctions
3) Possible Title IX sanctions to the school.
4) Lost 20% of 2016 class & 100% of 2017
5) following a legend who got fired over the objections of fans.

Morris will leave for a better job, but it won't be @ BU.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:51 am

leopold wrote:Here ya go;

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showth ... p?t=308960

I know many claim to have an insider's vantage point, some do it on twitter, some just throw it out here, and many are just gossiping.

But I have been privy to some insider revelations about the last month or so of Baylor football, and what isn't sensitive or detrimental to share I'd like to do so here to help some of you off of the ledge.

Here are some facts I've gathered that hopefully will squelch a few myths, you can contact me privately if you want sources, I also will not share salacious details here...nor do I know everything.

So without further ado, here I go.

WAS THE BOR VOTE TO TERMINATE BRILES 16-14?

This rumor was absolute NONSENSE.

I have it on good authority the actual numbers were 22-8, and the vote was taken TWICE with replicated vote numbers each time.

In fact, you'll note that the alleged "Big Money Donors" who lobbied for re-instatement didn't put up much of a fight once they were privately revealed the findings of the Pepper Hamilton oral report, even Drayton McLane, a good friend of Briles, didn't push the issue once facts were in his hand.

I realize we the fans are frustrated by the lack of transparency on the matter, and the post termination PR has been royally fumbled, but rest assured no conspiracy to damn Baylor football into oblivion has been hatched by the Board of Regents...though they have been rightfully chastised for allowing a disingenuous media agenda to swallow the narrative.

Art Briles settled, and for a relatively modest figure, and left quietly because he was indeed guilty of terminable offenses. That's painful to type, and it will probably be years before full details are public, but his handling of the Tevin Elliott situation was unacceptable...similarly Bob Stoops should be fired in Oklahoma, but that's not our house to sort out...though David Boren doesn't mind poking his head into ours.

WHEN WILL BAYLOR HIRE AN AD?

There is a favorite at this time, someone presently at a P5 program is going to be poached for a a considerable salary. No names have been given, but Baylor is willing to pay up to $1.5 million to secure the services of a top flight AD, a sum that dwarfs Ian McCaw's salary and is in the top tier of salaries for any AD in the entire NCAA.

Baylor means business, and fully intends to get the athletic department back on track ASAP. The university will double down and not let the existing $170 million debt on the stadium be in vain or go unpaid.

WHO WILL HIRE THE NEW COACH?

Ultimately the new AD, however the options put before him have been somewhat predetermined.

WHAT ARE THE COACHING OPTION'S FOR 2017 AND BEYOND?

Apparently Chad Morris was willing to dump SMU and come to Baylor IMMEDIATELY, as in be Baylor's coach in 2016.

The powers that be did not want to rush toward a long term hire, and Teaff used his influence to bring Jim Grobe into the fold for the interim.

Surprisingly, Grobe is very close to the Briles family, and has been a very stabilizing force with Briles' assistants staying this year...and some perhaps beyond.

It is not out of the question that Grobe is kept for 2017 as well, the thinking being floated about by the powers that be is that it would keep the Briles staff mostly in place, and Kendal Briles (someone I personally thought would most certainly be gone) would be groomed to takeover in 2018.

That is a legitimate discussion at this time, how serious it becomes will depend upon how this year unfolds.

Other than that it is confirmed that some obvious suspects are in the running: Phil Montgomery and Larry Fedora apparently top the wishlist at this time.

It is thought that a Montgomery hire would retain almost all the existing staff.

Chad Morris is also in the running, and his keen interest has been noted, Tom Herman's agent has also made it known that he is all ears.

Surprisingly to me, Dino Babers is not a name being floated about among the first choices at this time....perhaps do to his age or a large buyout, on that I can only speculate.

OUTLOOK FOR UPCOMING SEASON

Coaches and players are apparently optimistic Baylor is in a decent position to possibly even take a crack at the Big 12 title, perhaps that's the confidence competitors are supposed to default to in order to compete, but I'm glad they have it.

CONCLUSIONS:

The BOR actually did do the right thing by dismissing Art Briles, it was a painful and unwelcome decision, one that OU doesn't have the internal ethics to execute on Stoops despite having similar sins to Briles.

BUT the post termination PR has been an absolute botched nightmare, making a painful decision seem like a disaster...and our UT friends smelled some blood and were all too eager to oblige inflicting maximum damage on us while we were vulnerable.

I was surprised to learn Kendal Briles may still be at Baylor for the long haul, depending on if he is staffed with Montgomery or if groomed under Grobe in the short term to take over the whole enchilada as the top dog.

But in any event it would appear in 2017 one of five men will be on the Baylor sideline:

Phil Montgomery
Larry Fedora
Tom Herman
Jim Grobe
Chad Morris

And I would place the order of the names listed as the order of likelihood you'll see one of the above as the next Baylor coach.

I'm not a troll or an attention hound, so accuse me of stirring the rumor mill if you must, but my private conscience is clear that I speak only the truth, and have no desire to spread further allegations or rumors against our reeling program.

Bottom line is we are going to be more than ok going forward, we have good options ahead.

I NoZe and now you Noze too...

Let's spot some of the issues with this post:

1) Claims 22-8 vote was taken twice. No one would take a second vote just to see if they can get the same numbers if it's 22-8 on the first ballot. These are busy people who won't have their time wasted.

2) Claims Briles settled for "a relatively modest figure." If Briles didn't want big money he wouldn't have taken his fight to the media, and if Baylor were certain they could fire him for cause and pay him nothing and that would be held up in court without them having to reveal much self-incriminating information, then maybe this could be true. But Briles fought this publicly and got a few big money people on his side and in the end Baylor knew that any court battle with Briles would force them to reveal more detailed information than they care to reveal. They paid Briles well and it doesn't take an insider to figure that out.

3) Claims a top AD will be hired but his head coaching hire options are limited to a predetermined list. In no situation would a top AD take a job where they do not have full freedom to determine a head coaching hire.

4) The idea that keeping Grobe long-term would keep most of the Briles staff in place

5) Naming Montgomery and Babers as options when the university will want to make a clean break from the Briles era

6) Claims he isn't a troll. Those that aren't trolls don't need to clarify this.

There: 6 reasons to believe the poster made absolutely everything up, without even going into the Morris claims.
CalallenStang

Postby mrydel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 am

I will be interested to hear Chad's response to this when asked. Hopefully it might lead to some quicker action on the IPF.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:59 am

mrydel wrote:I will be interested to hear Chad's response to this when asked. Hopefully it might lead to some quicker action on the IPF.

Would anybody in the athletic department actually ask him?

I assume the media will have zero access to Chad until August.
Last edited by DanFreibergerForHeisman on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:42 am

I will.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby NTXCoog » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:17 pm

And Herman turned down USCe, but wants to go to Baylor with all this upheaval? Right. He will have much better options if he chooses to leave.

Did Herman's agent talk to them? Wouldn't surprise me. That's an agent's job. But that means nothing.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Next

Return to Football