PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris to Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chad Morris to Baylor?

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 pm

leopold wrote:Here ya go;

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showth ... p?t=308960

I know many claim to have an insider's vantage point, some do it on twitter, some just throw it out here, and many are just gossiping.

But I have been privy to some insider revelations about the last month or so of Baylor football, and what isn't sensitive or detrimental to share I'd like to do so here to help some of you off of the ledge.

Here are some facts I've gathered that hopefully will squelch a few myths, you can contact me privately if you want sources, I also will not share salacious details here...nor do I know everything.

So without further ado, here I go.

WAS THE BOR VOTE TO TERMINATE BRILES 16-14?

This rumor was absolute NONSENSE.

I have it on good authority the actual numbers were 22-8, and the vote was taken TWICE with replicated vote numbers each time.

In fact, you'll note that the alleged "Big Money Donors" who lobbied for re-instatement didn't put up much of a fight once they were privately revealed the findings of the Pepper Hamilton oral report, even Drayton McLane, a good friend of Briles, didn't push the issue once facts were in his hand.

I realize we the fans are frustrated by the lack of transparency on the matter, and the post termination PR has been royally fumbled, but rest assured no conspiracy to damn Baylor football into oblivion has been hatched by the Board of Regents...though they have been rightfully chastised for allowing a disingenuous media agenda to swallow the narrative.

Art Briles settled, and for a relatively modest figure, and left quietly because he was indeed guilty of terminable offenses. That's painful to type, and it will probably be years before full details are public, but his handling of the Tevin Elliott situation was unacceptable...similarly Bob Stoops should be fired in Oklahoma, but that's not our house to sort out...though David Boren doesn't mind poking his head into ours.

WHEN WILL BAYLOR HIRE AN AD?

There is a favorite at this time, someone presently at a P5 program is going to be poached for a a considerable salary. No names have been given, but Baylor is willing to pay up to $1.5 million to secure the services of a top flight AD, a sum that dwarfs Ian McCaw's salary and is in the top tier of salaries for any AD in the entire NCAA.

Baylor means business, and fully intends to get the athletic department back on track ASAP. The university will double down and not let the existing $170 million debt on the stadium be in vain or go unpaid.

WHO WILL HIRE THE NEW COACH?

Ultimately the new AD, however the options put before him have been somewhat predetermined.

WHAT ARE THE COACHING OPTION'S FOR 2017 AND BEYOND?

Apparently Chad Morris was willing to dump SMU and come to Baylor IMMEDIATELY, as in be Baylor's coach in 2016.

The powers that be did not want to rush toward a long term hire, and Teaff used his influence to bring Jim Grobe into the fold for the interim.

Surprisingly, Grobe is very close to the Briles family, and has been a very stabilizing force with Briles' assistants staying this year...and some perhaps beyond.

It is not out of the question that Grobe is kept for 2017 as well, the thinking being floated about by the powers that be is that it would keep the Briles staff mostly in place, and Kendal Briles (someone I personally thought would most certainly be gone) would be groomed to takeover in 2018.

That is a legitimate discussion at this time, how serious it becomes will depend upon how this year unfolds.

Other than that it is confirmed that some obvious suspects are in the running: Phil Montgomery and Larry Fedora apparently top the wishlist at this time.

It is thought that a Montgomery hire would retain almost all the existing staff.

Chad Morris is also in the running, and his keen interest has been noted, Tom Herman's agent has also made it known that he is all ears.

Surprisingly to me, Dino Babers is not a name being floated about among the first choices at this time....perhaps do to his age or a large buyout, on that I can only speculate.

OUTLOOK FOR UPCOMING SEASON

Coaches and players are apparently optimistic Baylor is in a decent position to possibly even take a crack at the Big 12 title, perhaps that's the confidence competitors are supposed to default to in order to compete, but I'm glad they have it.

CONCLUSIONS:

The BOR actually did do the right thing by dismissing Art Briles, it was a painful and unwelcome decision, one that OU doesn't have the internal ethics to execute on Stoops despite having similar sins to Briles.

BUT the post termination PR has been an absolute botched nightmare, making a painful decision seem like a disaster...and our UT friends smelled some blood and were all too eager to oblige inflicting maximum damage on us while we were vulnerable.

I was surprised to learn Kendal Briles may still be at Baylor for the long haul, depending on if he is staffed with Montgomery or if groomed under Grobe in the short term to take over the whole enchilada as the top dog.

But in any event it would appear in 2017 one of five men will be on the Baylor sideline:

Phil Montgomery
Larry Fedora
Tom Herman
Jim Grobe
Chad Morris

And I would place the order of the names listed as the order of likelihood you'll see one of the above as the next Baylor coach.

I'm not a troll or an attention hound, so accuse me of stirring the rumor mill if you must, but my private conscience is clear that I speak only the truth, and have no desire to spread further allegations or rumors against our reeling program.

Bottom line is we are going to be more than ok going forward, we have good options ahead.

I NoZe and now you Noze too...

You Sir are full of [deleted] !!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Casey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:21 pm

If Houston has as good a season this year as it did last year, and many experts seem to think that is very possible, Herman very well could be the most sought-after coach in the country after the season. If that's the case, he's not going to do a rebuild on a scandal-crippled program while living in Waco, of all places.

Also, I'm still not convinced the assistants all make it to this year. I can't imagine any will be there a year from now.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Chad Morris is committed to SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Chad Morris is committed to SMU.

(SMIRK)
One Trick Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Loyalty of any kind and college sports is a dichotomy today.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:Loyalty of any kind and college sports is a dichotomy today.

Si
One Trick Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Somebody needs to give Chad a lesson or 2 on the history of Ken Pye at SMU, and how likely
Baylor will most likely hire a new president like Pye's grandson N O Pye :!: :lol: :lol:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:16 pm

i think we are safe at least until Chad starts winning at least 6 games a year, but I guess Nebraska did hire a new coach that went 5-7 the previous year at Oregon State,
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:i think we are safe at least until Chad starts winning at least 6 games a year

We can only hope.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:43 pm

No one is giving up a couple mil a year guaranteed to step in to the Baylor s**t show. No. One.
smusic 00

Chad Morris to Baylor?

Postby TidePony » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:08 am

Way too early to worry about this, reality is Baylor will spiral down as quickly as they spiraled up. Plus, the Baylor people are not exactly reliable in any way, shape, or form.

If Chad is successful here (which I believe he will be), his trajectory is much higher then anything in Waco. He's more likely to end up in the ACC, SEC, or heaven forbid the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

I doubt it will happen this year, only because Baylor will not offer it since Chad still has more to prove.

Make no mistake though, if it was offered, Morris would eagerly accept and never turn back.

Baylor may be a "sh*t show" right now as some so eloquently claim, but SMU is the king of all "sh*t shows" and in no way comes close to Baylor in prestige or commitment. A B12 job, even Baylor at this point, is better than coaching SMU.

Think Scott Drew, look what he walked into and some questioned the move. Worked out good for him and Baylor. Baylor football will be back and it is a much more high profile job than SMU.

If Chad was offered, he would take it without a second thought. I am happy SMU is making strides to compete on the big boy level, but we need results first, not blind faith that SMU is turning it around. This is still a cruddy job and a cruddy program until we post results that show otherwise, and that means conference championships and top 20 finishes, not 8-5 records against some of the worst competition in FBS history and a couple of trips to Hawaii, which some confused as elevation (instead of what it was, MINOR progress).
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 am

ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 am

I absolutely think this could be a reality - Baylor would offer and Chad would probably accept. However, I think he is a man of integrity and certainly wants to stay here until he gets it all turned around (or at least feels satisfied he has done all he could "if it's going to get turned, we will get it turned" - paraphased public quote from him directly at a media event). Best case for everyone is he gets this thing turned, we get into a big boy conference and he becomes our Bobby Bowden (someone who took the program around and stayed - although I know those days are over now, but again, that is best case for us).
ojaipony

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 am

TidePony wrote:Way too early to worry about this, reality is Baylor will spiral down as quickly as they spiraled up. Plus, the Baylor people are not exactly reliable in any way, shape, or form.

If Chad is successful here (which I believe he will be), his trajectory is much higher then anything in Waco. He's more likely to end up in the ACC, SEC, or heaven forbid the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TP, I would disagree about Baylor's imminent death spiral. They have athletes. They will retain Briles's system in offense for this fall, and have enough hay in the barn to last through 2017's season in a reasonable form. The question is what will the courts and the ncaa do with the ongoing and upcoming revelations regarding Title IX. If that part gets any messier, then Baylor will begin a slow descent into the middle of the B12 rather than a headlong dive.

As far as Morris or anyone else of stature heading to Baylor? I'm sure that there are some coaches that would jump at the chance to be a P5 coach under any circumstance, but I would believe that most of the coaches that Baylor would choose to pursue right now are waiting to see what the fallout is going to be...like Morris will in a year or so...
Last edited by peruna81 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football