PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris to Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chad Morris to Baylor?

Postby mtrout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 am

Baylor will be Penn State. Minor hit. No one shut down their program they just lost half of 1 recruiting class.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 am

shadowman wrote:I doubt it will happen this year, only because Baylor will not offer it since Chad still has more to prove.

Make no mistake though, if it was offered, Morris would eagerly accept and never turn back.

Baylor may be a "sh*t show" right now as some so eloquently claim, but SMU is the king of all "sh*t shows" and in no way comes close to Baylor in prestige or commitment. A B12 job, even Baylor at this point, is better than coaching SMU.

Think Scott Drew, look what he walked into and some questioned the move. Worked out good for him and Baylor. Baylor football will be back and it is a much more high profile job than SMU.

If Chad was offered, he would take it without a second thought. I am happy SMU is making strides to compete on the big boy level, but we need results first, not blind faith that SMU is turning it around. This is still a cruddy job and a cruddy program until we post results that show otherwise, and that means conference championships and top 20 finishes, not 8-5 records against some of the worst competition in FBS history and a couple of trips to Hawaii, which some confused as elevation (instead of what it was, MINOR progress).

:shock:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 am

ojaipony wrote:I absolutely think this could be a reality - Baylor would offer and Chad would probably accept. However, I think he is a man of integrity and certainly wants to stay here until he gets it all turned around (or at least feels satisfied he has done all he could "if it's going to get turned, we will get it turned" - paraphrased public quote from him directly at a media event).

Like any coach, Morris is first and foremost a man of opportunity. Baylor would give him the opportunity to do some serious resume-padding before he takes his dream job at A&M.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:22 pm

sbsmith wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I absolutely think this could be a reality - Baylor would offer and Chad would probably accept. However, I think he is a man of integrity and certainly wants to stay here until he gets it all turned around (or at least feels satisfied he has done all he could "if it's going to get turned, we will get it turned" - paraphrased public quote from him directly at a media event).

Like any coach, Morris is first and foremost a man of opportunity. Baylor would give him the opportunity to do some serious resume-padding before he takes his dream job at A&M.

As I've said before, his dream job scenario is already set in perfect motion, without him wasting any time at Baylor.

Morris wins 6 games/bowl game this year, Sumlin goes backwards to 6 or 7 win season, Aggies make the change next year. (OR)

Morris wins 4 or 5 this year, Sumlin wins 7 or 8 and continues to tread water, barely hangs on for 1 more year. Morris gets 6 or 7 wins the following year, Sumlin stays in the 6-8 win range, the Aggie faithful get fed up with lack of progress, Morris the alum gets hired to save the day.

Trevor Knight had 1 great game in his entire career. Odds are higher that he is mediocre and/or gets injured vs. him having a really good year and leading the Aggies to 9-10 wins. Sumlin and the Aggie faithful have to be really nervous going into this season.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:49 pm

sbsmith wrote: his dream job at A&M.

I would imagine there are several schools that he would consider "dream jobs" before A&M. (Like most of the other SEC schools)
Bergermeister

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:51 pm

fbd, maybe on the Aggies...they could go 6-6 or 10-2. It is a wash, and completely dependent on how the offensive line plays and the linebackers play. If they do the former, Morris would be a natural fit, and I would hazard a reasonable success. If the the unlikely latter, we get to keep him a bit longer.

SMU has to win soon to keep the semblance of momentum intact. I do believe we win a minimum of 4 this year, but are still at least one more recruiting class away from competing for the AAC elite. Morris has to find the next proficient QB here for that great turnaround to happen...his offense is predicated on that premise. If he does stay through 2018, and if that QB emerges, it should be an interesting and fun next two years.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Bergermeister wrote:I would imagine there are several schools that he would consider "dream jobs" before A&M. (Like most of the other SEC schools)

Several? I can come up with one and even that one's a stretch.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby footballdad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:I would imagine there are several schools that he would consider "dream jobs" before A&M. (Like most of the other SEC schools)

Several? I can come up with one and even that one's a stretch.

Was thinking the same thing? What other job would be preferable to an A&M alum who seems to love the State of Texas.

His alma mater, in Texas, a recruiting hotbed, unlimited financial resources, elite facilities, elite conference, 100K+ stadium filled with devoted fans, 5 million $$$$ salary, etc, etc.

If you're a college football coach, what more do you aspire to?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
sbsmith wrote: his dream job at A&M.

I would imagine there are several schools that he would consider "dream jobs" before A&M. (Like most of the other SEC schools)

He is an Aggie. His wife is an Aggie. His daughter is studying at A&M right now.

Clearly, he would prefer the Texas job. :D
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 pm

I've heard him comment about how difficult it is to compete against TCU and Baylor for recruits.

Baylor is in the perfect spot to hire someone like Chad. He could always wait for the next time that A&M has an opening.

Did his daughter first enroll at A&M while he was at Clemson or while at SMU?

I hope he takes SMU to a nice bowl and sets up the future with solid recruits before bailing.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:35 pm

A&M is a mediocre school. Lucky to crack 8 wins this or any year in the SEC.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:40 pm

His daughter went to A&M after he was at SMU. Supposedly SMU did not offer her desired major.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Not many veterinarian schools in Texas
smupony94

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 pm

smupony94 wrote:Not many veterinarian schools in Texas

She's going direct to grad school? Does anyone know what percentage of A&M's Vet School students are from A&M undergrad?

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/admissions-statistics

Need about a 3.7 GPA to be admitted and about 80% of accepted students are female.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Pony Boss wrote:A&M is a mediocre school. Lucky to crack 8 wins this or any year in the SEC.

......with Sumlin at the helm.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football