PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

And some Penn State morons want to bring JoePa Statue Back

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

And some Penn State morons want to bring JoePa Statue Back

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976
per testimony in newly unsealed records

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... d-records/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: And some Penn State morons want to bring JoePa Statue Ba

Postby ponyte » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:30 am

To be fair, the fans want it. To be accurate, they should have Saint Joe running with Sandusky behind him instead of football players and little boys running in front of Saint Joe and Sandusky.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Terrible but hilarious
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 pm

In the early days of the Duke Lacrosse story, columnist Ruth Sheehan from the Raleigh News & Observer wrote a column calling for the Duke lacrosse players to come forward because theyknew. On Tuesday you wrote a similar column about Penn State headlined “It’s time for other Penn State coaches to speak up about Jerry Sandusky.”
Well I coached at Penn State and this open letter is an answer to your call. Yes you write for the Goliath Washington Post and I write for StateCollege.com. I know this is but a stone in a slingshot, but it’s a rock of truth and our aim is true.
This is written because Penn State’s administration once again chose to issue a statementdefending nothing and offending no one. It’s written because I cannot abide seeing you question the truth and the integrity of people I know.
You state “enough of the legal sophistry coming out of Happy Valley.” This will be devoid of that.
You called us to come forward. Had you done your homework you’d know we have come forward to fully cooperate with multiple investigations. Coaches have been questioned by police, by the Freeh investigation, deposed in civil cases. We’ve made statements in the media.
But just because they don’t agree with a first-glance narrative catapulted by today’s media dynamics, in your mind that makes our words less legitimate.
But still you allege a huge cover-up.
Look I get it. I saw the movie Spotlight. Some media outlets sued to get the sealed filings in the Penn State case like they did in Boston. But the filings in Boston revealed letters, memos and written evidence.
Here are the facts of this case.
The Penn State filings yielded only portions of depositions, not documents, and some questionable claims. And sadly, every questionable claim casts doubt on legitimate ones.
Of the assistant coaches you accuse, the unsealed documents and information leaked to the Post found no written evidence of knowledge; no memos, e-mails, text messages or letters.
Coaches turned over cell phones, e-mail accounts, computers and iPads and what did they find to reveal some vast conspiracy spanning decades? Nothing.
I’m also writing because I can’t allow anyone to question the integrity of Coach Joe Sarra, a man who always stood for right over wrong and truth over deceit. To you, a claim made with money on the table after Joe Sarra was dead must prove he remained silent for years. This is also to defend the integrity of Jim Tarman, another man who cannot defend himself because his mind’s health has silenced his voice.
Your column got important facts wrong, and is an affront to thousands of men and women that made Penn State what it was for decades. It calls into question every man who ever coached here.
Come forward? Three of the men named in the documents did speak out yesterday, but you discounted their statements.
You mention that the unsealed testimony was taken under oath, including Mike McQueary’s 2014 deposition alleging knowledge by Tom Bradley and Greg Schiano. Yet this conflicts with his June 2012 testimony in court, also under oath, when he stated he didn’t discuss this with people he worked with. So which did you choose to believe?
Here are some more facts in response to your assertions:
Kevin O’Dea didn’t know he’d been named and wasn’t questioned to defend himself. When the 1988 incident O’Dea allegedly witnessed ran into the fact that he didn’t arrive at Penn State until 1991, you wrote “the date is in dispute.”
O’Dea issued a statement calling the allegation a “complete fabrication.” But somehow his words are less true to you.
You stated that the “settlement process was protracted and included several layers of vetting.”
Guess again.
The people vetting the claims didn’t even Google the name Kevin O’Dea to realize that the 1988 claim could not have been true.
The process never included asking O’Dea or Schiano for their response.
At Penn State’s football camps in 1976, campers showered in the dorms in individual stalls and did not shower with coaches and Penn State players, as one claimant alleged.
They didn’t put any of the claimants under oath for the settlements.
Only six claimants testified in the insurance case; overall 26 of the 32 were never deposed.
Here is another fact: I am not alone in my opinion of soft vetting.
The Pennsylvania Manufacturers Insurance Company hired an outside firm to evaluate the claims. Attorney Eric Anderson stated, "It appears as though Penn State made little effort, if any, to verify the credibility of the claims of the individuals.”
So much for the several layers of vetting.
But let’s address the heart of your call to come forward. Your column insinuates some long blue wall of silence at Penn State to hide the truth.
Did you read all the unsealed documents? If you had you’d realize that the real story is how Penn State failed to vet these claims properly and overpaid to make them all go away. But that story doesn’t move product and that story wasn’t fed to the writers who jumped on this.
Yes the story was fed to your writers by someone with an agenda because they somehow reported things that were NOT in the unsealed documents.
You’re a smart writer. In the deadest week of sports all year, you likely saw the initial story was the most read on the Post’s site, so why not get in on the action?
This is not an easy letter to write. You remember you did Joe Paterno’s last interview -- your newspaper rolled it back out yesterday.
On your visit we sat next to each other in my parents’ home across from my father the night he ate what would be his last dinner in his own house. You also recall the next morning that he finished his interview on his bed, his body weak and nearing death, his voice just a husk of what it once was.
A week and a half later he would fall silent forever. Coach Joe Sarra and Jim Tarman have fallen silent. The words of Tom Bradley, Greg Schiano and Kevin O’Dea mean little to you. There are scores of players, coaches, professors, administrators, medical and equipment staff. They too came forward and cooperated.
While Joe Paterno has fallen silent, and the university administration chooses silence, we will speak up because your insinuations cannot stand. They are factually inaccurate, doing a disservice to honest people of integrity and legitimate victims of abuse.
Unfortunately your continued obsession with pointing fingers has made the public no wiser in being able to spot highly-skilled nice-guy offenders in their own communities.
I know this will be attacked for being insensitive to certain groups; some will argue this letter is self-serving.
But it serves as a defense of the truth for our university, our football program and victims of abuse. It defends men who have fallen silent in death and people whose voices you have simply chosen to discount because you either don’t know the facts or you deny their legitimacy because they haven’t been victimized. Please stop citing the discredited Freeh Report because its “findings” run counter to the prosecutors’ conclusions about the people who coached here.
We have been scrutinized and vilified and yet we are still standing asking where is the proof and where is the truth?
At the end of the Duke Lacrosse case that same Raleigh columnist apologized, displaying the integrity to admit she got it wrong. For that I admire her.
For years I admired you too. Maybe someday I will again.
You wanted someone to come forward and something devoid of legal sophistry? Well you got it.

Jay Paterno
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Jay your best bet is to move and change your name sorry.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Penn State's Spanier gets jail for role in Sandusky scandal

JUNE 2, 2017

Camera icon BRADLEY C BOWER / FOR THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

HARRISBURG — Former Pennsylvania State University President Graham B. Spanier was ordered Friday to spend at least two months in jail and another two on house arrest for endangering children by failing to report signs that Jerry Sandusky was sexually abusing boys.

Judge John Boccabella also sentenced Spanier to pay a $7,500 fine and perform 200 hours of community service. Two other former aides, ex-athletic director Gary Schultz and onetime vice president Tim Curley, also got jail terms followed by house arrest.

“These men are good people who made a terrible mistake,” the judge said. But he also chided the three for what he said was an inexcusable failure. “Why no one made a phone call to police … is beyond me.”

The sentences capped what had been the controversial prosecution of ranking university administrators who investigators said had a chance to stop a serial sex predator but instead chose to protect the school and their own reputations.

At the center was Spanier, the 69-year-old who once ranked among the nation’s most prominent and longest serving university leaders. Prosecutors contended that he decided to bury a report that Sandusky had been seen showering with a boy one night in a campus locker room in 2001, three years after a similar allegation.

But from his ouster after Sandusky’s arrest in late 2011 through his trial this spring, Spanier insisted he was innocent and didn’t realize that Sandusky, the longtime assistant to head football coach Joe Paterno, was a threat to children.

A jury in March convicted Spanier of misdemeanor child endangerment – the same charge to which the others pleaded guilty — while acquitting him of a second endangerment charge and felony conspiracy. Still, his lawyer has indicated he will appeal the verdict.

In a statement he read to the judge Friday, Spanier apologized to the victims, the Penn State community, and others impacted by his actions. “I deeply regret I didn’t intervene more forcefully,” he said, in a nod to Sandusky’s victims.

Boccabella said he was not convinced that Spanier was “totally responsible” for the failure to report Sandusky to authorities, noting that he relied on the judgment of his aides. Still, he told Spanier: “This is a Shakespearean tragedy. It is a fall from grace that is unfortunate yet well deserved.”

Schultz, 67, got a similar two-month jail term followed by house arrest. Curley, 63, got the harshest penalty of the three: three months in jail and four months of house arrest.

At Spanier’s trial, former assistant coach Mike McQueary testified that the conduct he saw in the locker-room shower was sexual in nature and that he reported it to Paterno. The head coach then notified Curley and Schultz, who discussed the matter with Spanier.

A week before Spanier’s trial, Curley and Schultz agreed to plead guilty and testify for the government against Spanier. In sentencing memos filed this week, prosecutors still criticized both, accusing Curley of “astonishing” and unbelievable memory lapses on the witness stand and Schultz for a “puzzling dereliction of duty.”

Though they did not recommend a specific sentence, prosecutors agreed that Curley, should be allowed to serve any custodial sentence at home because of his health. Curley has battled lung cancer for more than six years. But the judge still ordered Curley to serve time in jail.

Prosecutors Laura Ditka and Patrick Schulte were seeking up to a year in jail for Spanier, arguing he was the one who ultimately decided not to report McQueary’s claim to child welfare authorities. At the trial, they showed jurors emails that they contend showed the men hatched a plan to keep the matter quiet.

“The only downside for us is if the message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it,” Spanier told Curley and Schultz in a 2001 email exchange, saying it was a “humane and a reasonable way” to deal with Sandusky.

At the sentencing, Boccabella said others could have done more to stop or unmask Sandusky, including Penn State’s iconic football coach.

“Mr. Paterno, the legendary football coach, could have made that phone call without so much as getting his hands dirty,” the judge said. And of McQueary, Boccabella said: “He wasn’t a child. He was an adult.”

Since breaking in late 2011, the case has roiled Penn State, its supporters and stirred conversations and changes across colleges and athletic programs. The university has already paid out nearly $250 million in settlements, legal bills, fines, public relations and other costs stemming from the scandal. Still ongoing are lawsuits involving the university and Paterno’s family, the NCAA, Spanier and Louis Freeh, the former FBI director who oversaw the school’s damning internal investigation into the case.

Sandusky is serving a 30 to 60-year prison term after being convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... 70602.html
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 am

I understand being loyal to your school, but if I were a Penn State fan (what an awful thought), I'd be grateful for the victories, I guess, but I'd want to recollection of Paterno, Sandusky or the administration that covered up that heinous situation.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Three Putt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:11 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:I understand being loyal to your school, but if I were a Penn State fan (what an awful thought), I'd be grateful for the victories, I guess, but I'd want to recollection of Paterno, Sandusky or the administration that covered up that heinous situation.

Very similar to Baylor situation. I don't understand how parents send their daughters to school there or their fans who still idolize Briles, who created a culture of thuggery.
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Return to Football