PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Big 12 Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Big 12 Thread

Postby fan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:05 pm

Since the other has been derailed thought I'd start another.

From the looks of things the only thing that Texas cares about is money and that's about the only asset we have so why not just give up all income to join the B12? ie We'll take nothing (which is basically what we get from c-usa redo aka American) from media rights, just gate, and all the other schools take the rest. Can't be much worse from a financial perspective than what we have now and we get a junior membership in the club. Big draw and does what sports is supposed to do for the University which is to promote ourselves.

Or why not offer up our hoops and other non-FB sports to replace BYU as they go FB only. Stay in the American for FB (and mens soccer). That's obviously not great but gets us a foot in the door and, again, cannot be too much worse than what we have.

I'm not an insider but from what I've read the only thing the B12 truly cares about in expansion is which new member is going to take the biggest haircut. Pretty sure we can afford to be the leader among all potential candidates in that department.
fan
Varsity

Re: New Big 12 Thread

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:15 pm

We get a significant amount more money from The American television deals than we ever got with C-USA.

Obviously not P5 money but 4-5 million more a year than the C-USA gets.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:18 pm

We get 1.8 million the difference is exit fees from all the schools that left
smupony94

Postby fan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 pm

smupony94 wrote:We get 1.8 million the difference is exit fees from all the schools that left

Supports my point
fan
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:24 pm

smupony94 wrote:We get 1.8 million the difference is exit fees from all the schools that left

OK but still more than the 500k C-USA gets. If fan wants to make up the other 1.3 million then let's go for it!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby fan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:27 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

OK but still more than the 500k C-USA gets. If fan wants to make up the other 1.3 million then let's go for it!

Lets go for it.
fan
Varsity

Postby leopold » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:57 am

fan wrote:Since the other has been derailed thought I'd start another.

From the looks of things the only thing that Texas cares about is money and that's about the only asset we have so why not just give up all income to join the B12? ie We'll take nothing (which is basically what we get from c-usa redo aka American) from media rights, just gate, and all the other schools take the rest. Can't be much worse from a financial perspective than what we have now and we get a junior membership in the club. Big draw and does what sports is supposed to do for the University which is to promote ourselves.

Or why not offer up our hoops and other non-FB sports to replace BYU as they go FB only. Stay in the American for FB (and mens soccer). That's obviously not great but gets us a foot in the door and, again, cannot be too much worse than what we have.

I'm not an insider but from what I've read the only thing the B12 truly cares about in expansion is which new member is going to take the biggest haircut. Pretty sure we can afford to be the leader among all potential candidates in that department.

Because believe it or not it doesn't help us get in.

None of the candidates for the Big XII, with the possible exception of BYU, move the dial enough for a TV audience to make bringing them in worth it in terms of media money; If they did they'd already be in the conference right now. In fact, splitting the pie ten ways instead of twelve has made it even more lucrative for the schools. As a result even the less powerful schools have been against expansion, not just Texas.
Point is, there is no money to give. The expansion schools are most likely going to cut into any media revenue that the current schools are receiving in some way to being with. The only reason the conference is looking to expand is to protect it's jugular, access to the CFP, so they're stuck expanding for defensive purposes, and as a result they are picking through the leftovers.
The only way this conference is going to survive is going to be based on long-term membership and investment in their athletic programs. Trying to give a kickback won't work - in fact, it's how the Big XII got to this point to begin with.
If SMU has anything to offer the conference it's loyalty - SMU isn't going to dump the Big XII for the PAC-12 or SEC - That needs to be made clear to the conference immediately. It doesn't do the Big XII any good to bring in a school that is going to bigger-better-deal them in five or ten years.
But to be honest, that probably isn't going to be enough at this point.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:57 am

1) While the last expansion was driven by the concept of expanding geography so that the [Conference] Network could be driven into homes as part of a typical cable package, this expansion is not. In 5-10 years, the entire landscape of cable sports television will change.

2) The Big 12 is going to expand for 2 reasons:
(a) they are going to keep their promise to WVU and give them at least 1 travel partner.
(b) the current B12 TV contracts have an odd provision. If new schools are added, the conference gets more money - automatically. Because there is nothing in the contract that says the B12 has to give that money to new members - they plan to keep it.

Because adding to the TV footprint doesn't matter, we offer an fantastic opportunity for the B12:
1) From an Academic perspective, we are a huge win for them;
2) For both revenue and non-revenue sports, we offer the lowest travel costs and times of any candidate;
3) For fans of existing B12 schools, our location provides them another opportunity to see "their" team play.
4) Attendance, despite miserable teams. We have consistently had big home crowds for games against TCU, Tech, Baylor, and TAMU.
5) TCU and Baylor have proven that they can field competitive B12 teams, draw big crowds, and add excitement to the league. There is no reason SMU can't do the same thing.
6) With TCU and SMU in the same league, there would be at least one B12 game in DFW every weekend during the season.
7) Although Ford can easily be expanded into a TCU/Baylor sized stadium, we have easy access to the CB and the Death Star. If we join the B12, I wouldn't be shocked to learn that we have agreed to move any games against Texas/OU to a bigger stadium.

My Prediction: Compact Conference focused on Texas/Midwest/SEC country
2 Teams - add Memphis and Cinci
4 Teams - add Houston and SMU

Caveat: if "FB only" teams are added to go with Cinci and Memphis
4 Teams - BYU and UConn could sneak in there. Both could easily find homes for their other sports.
Last edited by Digetydog on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 am

Yawn
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 am

Yikes
smupony94

Postby Mestengo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:44 am

Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BleedSMUPride » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am

Something a lot of people don't realize is that currently, Houston is not a Big 12 city. Obviously TV money is basically the center of expansion, and last year, 6 of the top 10 most watched CFB games in Houston were SEC games, 2 were B12 games and 2 were Houston games. Houston would be a solid get, and if they do add UH, they immediately become a powerhouse as they are in one of the biggest recruiting grounds in the nation and can get 25 big recruits in a 25 miles radius and most likely, B12 TV gets a nice bump in rating there.

Obviously adding 4 teams over 2 will be to our favor, but UH being added and trying to team up with them in going in is probably our best shot. The big question with Memphis and Cinci is does the B12 think those are viable markets to compete in. Memphis has a ton of money to throw also, great basketball facilities and they're going to renovate the football stadium and whatever else they need to in order to get in. But, Tennessee is in the middle of SEC territory so thats a tough battle to pick. Same goes with Cinci in regards to the B12, but they have consistently been a solid team over the years and played well when the Big East had some okay teams.

BYU is probably the biggest money adder, but the question of will they play Sundays and would they be willing to part with their own TV network and be willing to go in on a B12 network is also a question since I've read that OU was really pushing for that and I'm sure every other team is as well, besides UT.

The whole expansion is interesting and there is obviously things we have no idea about, but my hope is they would add 4 teams even though it looks more like 2, and whether the core teams in Texas and in Tornado Alley stick to their promise and decide to add a team for WV. But fingers still crossed that SMU finds someway to figure something out
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 am

leopold wrote:If SMU has anything to offer the conference it's loyalty - SMU isn't going to dump the Big XII for the PAC-12 or SEC - That needs to be made clear to the conference immediately. It doesn't do the Big XII any good to bring in a school that is going to bigger-better-deal them in five or ten years.

I would love to see the looks on the faces of the other Big 12-2 ADs when Rick promises them we won't be leaving for the Pac-12 or SEC.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
leopold wrote:If SMU has anything to offer the conference it's loyalty - SMU isn't going to dump the Big XII for the PAC-12 or SEC - That needs to be made clear to the conference immediately. It doesn't do the Big XII any good to bring in a school that is going to bigger-better-deal them in five or ten years.

I would love to see the looks on the faces of the other Big 12-2 ADs when Rick promises them we won't be leaving for the Pac-12 or SEC.

I laughed out loud
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby NTXCoog » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 pm

BleedSMUPride wrote:Something a lot of people don't realize is that currently, Houston is not a Big 12 city. Obviously TV money is basically the center of expansion, and last year, 6 of the top 10 most watched CFB games in Houston were SEC games, 2 were B12 games and 2 were Houston games.

I'm curious if a single Big 12 conference game makes top 10 in houston this year. The 2 that made it last year were OU/UT and Baylor/TCU. OU/UT is on FS1 which by itself may cause it to drop out. If either Baylor and/or TCU drop down, which is totally possible with all the unknowns on both teams, the Big 12 could be shut out. They will probably have some OOC games make it with UT/ND, OU/tOSU, and UH/OU, but how much of the market do you own if you cant get a highly rated conference game?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Next

Return to Football