PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Big 12 Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Big 12 Thread

Postby Topper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:37 pm

There is no incentive for UT to leave the Big 12 at this point. The LHN deal expires in 2031 I believe. I suspect that the conference will continue to bleed members to expanding super conferences because the LHN is poison. We may yet find our way into the Big 12 by attrition. I can see the SEC bringing in OU and OSU. The Big 12 would then become a weird SWC/Big 8 Football Castoff/Missouri Valley hybrid. A conference in a weakened state is really what UT wants. They aren't making it to the BCS with the current Big 12 schedule which is much tougher than they can reasonably handle in the near future.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Mexmustang speaks the truth. God I hope the Big12 somehow decides to take 0 teams.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:51 pm

mtrout wrote:Mexmustang speaks the truth. God I hope the Big12 somehow decides to take 0 teams.

This would be a win
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Seriously people believe Mexmustang?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Grid Iron Madman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:48 am

Stallion wrote:On the other hand all 33 SMU Fans that have bothered to buy tickets to the Baylor game should march on Waco to prove how much we deserve to be in the Big 12

Lock-Arms!!!

In the final analysis the SMU students, alumni and friends in the community haven't sufficiently supported the program in 60 years for us to be included among the P5

The ugly truth. I remember the first time I had ever seen (or even heard of) SMU on TV. My impressions were: I like the uniforms and helmets, this school seems like a cool place to be, and where the heck is everybody? Someone said, potential means you haven't done it yet. This mantra does get old, but I hope people won't give up on the program. Yes, lots of frustrations, but I truly believe in the grand scheme of things, the ship is turning in the right direction, with or without B12 inclusion. Journey may just be a little longer.
SMU Grid Iron Madman
Recruit

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:30 am

The B12 is dead in the water. They have no existing network thanks to the LHN, and frankly even without it, may not have enough footprint to justify it. If they take Houston and Cincinnati, they are making a bet that nobody wants to move into DFW (they are trying to lock up Houston) and giving WVA a travel partner. It's a bet that they will lose long term. Cable rights fees are going down because cable is losing viewers as technology changes. The BIG 10 made a smart move pushing into NY and DC thus increasing the footprint and getting access fee dollars, while SMU doesn't own the Dallas market, Rutgers had less grasp on the NY market. That leaves DFW and Houston as two huge, potentially untapped markets for those access fees which can help offset the decline in licensing fees. Right now nobody is really getting that cash. Any major that takes SMU and Houston will get into that market, scoop up those access fees, and destroy the B12 primarily ad revenue value, whether it's now or five years from now. Why pay for Ames, Manhattan (KS), Oklahoma City, and part of Dallas, when I can get Dallas, and the East Coast from Boston to Miami? Or Dallas and Chicago? Or Dallas, LA, SF, Phoenix and Seattle?

If the B12 doesn't maintain exclusivity in the DFW and Houston markets, it's revenue value and potential plummets. There is little reason for Texas or OU to stick around as the revenue falls and the take from other conferences grows. And Texas and OU know that they can get a decent deal anywhere at any time. It's the rest of the conference that should consolidate it's brand and close the door on competitors. Otherwise, the AAC and maybe even the MWC are going to have stronger ad appeal after a Texit.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 am

What about the Philadelphia market (Temple), San Antonio market (UTSA), and San Diego market (SDSU)?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:59 am

It is a balance of Brand and Market.

Temple helps the AAC. Like us, they don't own the market, but they provide entrée and could essentially keep competitors out of the Market for the BIG10 because PSU acts like Texas in Pennsylvania. They could provide the ACC with an entrée into that market in the future, giving the ACC the sweep of the eastern seaboard markets. Also, the BIG10 Network is carried on both the local cable providers already, so the Big 10 is already getting access revenue from Philly. The problem is that they would dilute the B12 brand, and the B12 has identity issues. The academic profile is a bit rough, but not woeful. At come point, someone may pick them up.

San Diego would be a good get in terms of market, and SDSU is the only real game in town. The problem is SDSU is not that academically rigorous and the brand is such that it's unlikely to be grabbed by the PAC12, and so far of a reach for other leagues that it doesn't make sense Brand-wise. Too far away for the B12 for their Brand.

San Antonio is a bit of a mystery, just because UTSA isn't an established brand. It is an unknown quantity. It would be a good market to get into, though it has traditionally been UT heavy (sort of like TAMU's influence on the Houston Market). Texas State may be close enough and with a solid marketing campaign to gain real entrée into the market, but that would be in the future. Distance and brand are still too far and too weak. If there is a Texit, Texas State may become a viable B12 in the future to get into the market, but by then it will probably be too late.

SMU has been jerking around for a long time, but it was once a respectable D-1 team with a respectable brand. It is located in the very heart of Dallas and while we don't draw what we could, the image could easily be branded as "Dallas Team" because, point of fact, we are the only college or pro football team that actually plays in Dallas. Geography works for us in market, and with some polishing we can be a strong enough brand.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

New Big 12 Thread

Postby whitwiki » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:00 pm

You realize entrée and entry are two very different words, right?
I shall now call you Gordon Ramsey ...née Ramsée
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Pony^ » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:57 pm

entrée
or entree
[ahn-trey]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a dish served as the main course of a meal.
2. Older Use. a dish served at dinner between the principal courses.
3. the privilege of entering; access.
4. a means of obtaining entry:
His friendship with an actor's son was his entrée into the theatrical world.
5. the act of entering; entrance.

Origin of entrée
1775-1785
1775-85; < French, noun use of feminine past participle of entrer to enter; see entry
Synonyms

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3, 4. admission, entry.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/entree

The word entrée in French originally denoted the "entry" of the dishes from the kitchens into the dining hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e
Pony^
All-American

Postby fan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:It is a balance of Brand and Market.

Temple helps the AAC. Like us, they don't own the market, but they provide entrée and could essentially keep competitors out of the Market for the BIG10 because PSU acts like Texas in Pennsylvania. They could provide the ACC with an entrée into that market in the future, giving the ACC the sweep of the eastern seaboard markets. Also, the BIG10 Network is carried on both the local cable providers already, so the Big 10 is already getting access revenue from Philly. The problem is that they would dilute the B12 brand, and the B12 has identity issues. The academic profile is a bit rough, but not woeful. At come point, someone may pick them up.

San Diego would be a good get in terms of market, and SDSU is the only real game in town. The problem is SDSU is not that academically rigorous and the brand is such that it's unlikely to be grabbed by the PAC12, and so far of a reach for other leagues that it doesn't make sense Brand-wise. Too far away for the B12 for their Brand.

San Antonio is a bit of a mystery, just because UTSA isn't an established brand. It is an unknown quantity. It would be a good market to get into, though it has traditionally been UT heavy (sort of like TAMU's influence on the Houston Market). Texas State may be close enough and with a solid marketing campaign to gain real entrée into the market, but that would be in the future. Distance and brand are still too far and too weak. If there is a Texit, Texas State may become a viable B12 in the future to get into the market, but by then it will probably be too late.

SMU has been jerking around for a long time, but it was once a respectable D-1 team with a respectable brand. It is located in the very heart of Dallas and while we don't draw what we could, the image could easily be branded as "Dallas Team" because, point of fact, we are the only college or pro football team that actually plays in Dallas. Geography works for us in market, and with some polishing we can be a strong enough brand.

When we're good (like our hoops) people in Dallas watch and get behind the team. That's no different than a school like Boston College or Northwestern. TCU has tapped into that but Ft. Worth is not Dallas and there's a prop bet that TV networks can play. The fact that we have a built-in fan base of 6 million is to our advantage and the networks know that.
fan
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:41 pm

OSU's Mike Gundy says no to expansion and, especially, U. Of Houston

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... b5c47.html
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Water Pony wrote:OSU's Mike Gundy says no to expansion and, especially, U. Of Houston

Gundy is not wrong.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Other than the obvious $20M+ per year I would much rather be in The American.

I mean seriously Waco, Lubbock, Ames, Manhattan, Norman, Stillwater, Fort Worth, Morgantown, Lawrence are you kidding me?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stc9 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Water Pony wrote:OSU's Mike Gundy says no to expansion and, especially, U. Of Houston

I love that guy (his meltdown defending his player is still one of my favorites on YouTube). Unfortunately, he is at OSU rather than OU. If he was at OU, what he says would have a lot more gravitas (relative brand values).

https://youtu.be/aoMmbUmKN0E

I firmly believe that we need the Big XII to stand pat for the near future. If... If... If the status quo can be maintained for a little while, HCCM can turn this thing around and Jank can take off from where LB brought us - then we have a chance (Big "ifs" I know). If there is a monumental shift now, I fear we will be left behind forever.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football