PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 schedule addition?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 schedule addition?

Postby mustangs2001 » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:44 am

Since we have two open dates available we should consider playing the following teams.

Sept. 29 Oklahoma State, Navy

Oct. 20 Arkansas, Purdue, Washington State, or Miami

We don't need two weeks off during the season. My favorite would be Oklahoma State or Arkansas since the SMU fans can drive if either game is away and I believe both teams would love to travel to Dallas in the fall. Your thoughts!
mustangs2001

Re: 2001 schedule addition?

Postby PK » Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:19 pm

I agree that it would be great to play one of those teams...unfortunately, except for special situations, NCAA only allows a team to play eleven games in a season.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangs2001 » Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>I agree that it would be great to play one of those teams...unfortunately, except for special situations, NCAA only allows a team to play eleven games in a season.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought we played 12 games last year, so why can't we schedule 12 now. Is this a new guideline?
mustangs2001

Postby mustangs2001 » Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>I agree that it would be great to play one of those teams...unfortunately, except for special situations, NCAA only allows a team to play eleven games in a season.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought we played 12 games last year, so why can't we schedule 12 now. Is this a new guideline?
mustangs2001

Postby PK » Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:59 pm

I am not sure of all the restrictions myself, but I believe a school can play a twelve game season every fourth year. This of course does not affect post season play. One exception is a special situation such as the BCS game we almost played. There are probably other factors too, but generally speaking, eleven games is all you get most of the time. If anyone out there has a better understanding of the rules, please enlighten us.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby jettison » Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:51 pm

Any team that travels to Hawaii (as SMU did last year), they are allowed to play a 12th game.. I think to allow them extra revenue to cover those travel costs across the Pacific.

As for other 12 game scenarios, there are certain rules regarding a 'preseason' game once every 4 years.. but I'm not real certain how that all works.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:58 pm

Not sure how exactly the new rule reads, but I believe I read the NCAA now allows 12 games in seasons in which there are 5 Saturdays in September. The Hawaii scenario holds true regardless of Saturdays in Sept, so in years when SMU travels to Hawaii, we can always schedule that 12th game.
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:26 am

Thanks jettison and CP for the info.
PK

Return to Football