PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Going for an easy win in 2018

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Going for a easy win in 2018

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:
JasonB wrote:Look, we get national attention for double digit wins. Everyone makes fun of the Baylor creampuff non-conference, and it keeps them out of the national championship. But nobody would even be talking about them if they weren't 10-0. That is how Baylor did it, and that is how TCU did it back when they were initially building the program. Once TCU was winning double digits, then they amped up the non-conference to play on the national stage.

Going 4-0 or 3-1 every year before conference play starts pretty much guarantees a bowl, gets people talking, and ramps up the chance of a big win season. Once SMU shows they can handle the creampuffs, then amp up the non-conference. Until then, we are best off racking up the wins however possible and getting excitement up.

This game is 2 years into the future. Pardon my idealistic nature, but I'd like to think if HCCM is still around or if one of his disciples took over that by 2018 this roster is talented enough that there wouldn't be a 48-3, 56-3, 46-14, etc. It would seem the team would be good enough to put up a respectable game by then.

And yes, no one would be talking about Baylor if they weren't 10-0, you're right. But when Baylor goes 10-0 and the talking they're doing about them is that they had too easy of a walK to 10-0. Apparently the committee is not impressed by beating up on the actual little sisters of the poor. Huh. Go figure

SMU has never gone 10-0 post dp. Lets get there first with cupcakes before we worry about our sos and getting into the playoffs lol

Never said anything about smu going to play offs. First paragraph said I would hope that the team could be competitive with Michigan by then. Second one pointed out Baylor cupcake scheduling is not helpful
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:[quote="JasonB"]Look, we get national attention for double digit wins. Everyone makes fun of the Baylor creampuff non-conference, and it keeps them out of the national championship. But nobody would even be talking about them if they weren't 10-0. That is how Baylor did it, and that is how TCU did it back when they were initially building the program. Once TCU was winning double digits, then they amped up the non-conference to play on the national stage.

Going 4-0 or 3-1 every year before conference play starts pretty much guarantees a bowl, gets people talking, and ramps up the chance of a big win season. Once SMU shows they can handle the creampuffs, then amp up the non-conference. Until then, we are best off racking up the wins however possible and getting excitement up.

This game is 2 years into the future. Pardon my idealistic nature, but I'd like to think if HCCM is still around or if one of his disciples took over that by 2018 this roster is talented enough that there wouldn't be a 48-3, 56-3, 46-14, etc. It would seem the team would be good enough to put up a respectable game by then.

And yes, no one would be talking about Baylor if they weren't 10-0, you're right. But when Baylor goes 10-0 and the talking they're doing about them is that they had too easy of a walK to 10-0. Apparently the committee is not impressed by beating up on the actual little sisters of the poor. Huh. Go figure

SMU has never gone 10-0 post dp. Lets get there first with cupcakes before we worry about our sos and getting into the playoffs lol

Never said anything about smu going to play offs. First paragraph said I would hope that the team could be competitive with Michigan by then. Second one pointed out Baylor cupcake scheduling is not helpful[/quote]
Baylor is trying to get into the playoffs and we probably can't in the AAC like they can in the big 12. We can get close to the playoffs and guarantee a ny6 game with ooc cupcakes.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes, win first against cupcakes and then worry about strength of schedule problems. That is how TCU, Houston, Boise, Baylor all got their programs up a level.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 pm

smupony94 wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:We are trying to replace the Michigan game. I don't believe NC is correct when he says it's a $1mil payout. I don't believe we are being paid to play this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would we play at their place for free? The home and home in basketball wasn't worth it

Exactly. You guys making the same point as our AD. Unless someone can show a quote stating a payout I will stand by my belief that there isn't one.

smusic 00

Going for a easy win in 2018

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I have always been in favor of lightening up out OOC schedule. Even back when JJ was being pilloried for it.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 am

smusic 00 wrote:We are trying to replace the Michigan game. I don't believe NC is correct when he says it's a $1mil payout. I don't believe we are being paid to play this game.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... air-force/

This article that announced Michigan OOC schedule with UCF and SMU states that Air Force will be paid $1.3M for the game. Not sure why we would be getting much less...
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:03 am

leopold wrote:I wasn't in favor of this until I was reminded of the rest of the non-conference schedule:

Saturday
Sep. 1 Mean Green at North Texas Mean Green
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 8 --- TBA --- ---
Saturday
Sep. 15 Wolverines at Michigan Wolverines
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI TBA ----
Saturday
Sep. 22 Huskies Houston Baptist Huskies
Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas, TX TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 29 Horned Frogs TCU Horned Frogs

So, we have one opponent who should be favored against us in Michigan, one who we are somewhat on par with in North Texas, one who we should be the pants off of in Houston Baptist, and our traditional cross-town rival in TCU.

All-in-all, a decent, rational schedule for the likes of us.

You might get the Ban Hammer for confusing poeple on PF with rationale thought.

Personally, I think it is a good schedule that would have been better with someone like SFA.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Going for an easy win in 2018

Postby peruna81 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:09 pm

To the Op's premise, there is no such thing as an "easy win" in our current (or for that matter,2018) version of Mustang football....

see James Madison University.

not trying to be Debbie Downer, just the reality that this ship has charted a new course, but we have yet to see the return. To presume that there is a team that we could walk through is arrogance at the least, and idiocy in the most common form.

BTW, Pony^ this is NOT an attack on you or your opinion...my hope is in fact is that we will be at a place in 2018 that we can expect to compete and win on any field against any team.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:37 pm

In other words, until we show otherwise, we are the cupcake.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:01 pm

mrydel wrote:In other words, until we show otherwise, we are the cupcake.

Well, the common opinion is that at the card table, if you can't spot the mark, you are him.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:04 pm

ponyinNC wrote:

This article that announced Michigan OOC schedule with UCF and SMU states that Air Force will be paid $1.3M for the game. Not sure why we would be getting much less...

Remember how Larry said we do things differently here at SMU?

smusic 00

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:06 pm

peruna81 wrote:To the Op's premise, there is no such thing as an "easy win" in our current (or for that matter,2018) version of Mustang football....

see James Madison University.

not trying to be Debbie Downer, just the reality that this ship has charted a new course, but we have yet to see the return. To presume that there is a team that we could walk through is arrogance at the least, and idiocy in the most common form.

BTW, Pony^ this is NOT an attack on you or your opinion...my hope is in fact is that we will be at a place in 2018 that we can expect to compete and win on any field against any team.

Jmu was an elite team at their level. Not like it was Texas college we lost to.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21 am

smusic 00 wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:

Remember how Larry said we do things differently here at SMU?

:lol: :lol:

If that is the case, and we agreed to a bodybag game at the Big House for little to no payout, our AD should be terminated immediately.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 am

I would not think we would get a buy out if we chose to terminate.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 am

I guess the more interesting teams like SFA, TX State and Sam Houston require 1:1s, 2:1s or more money. They'd bring more fans and Pony fans would have more interest in those teams than HBU or Incarnate Word. Even ACU would draw better and have more local appeal. Hopefully, HBU doesn't have a bunch of redshirt seniors on the team in 2018 like UTSA when they beat UH in the stadium opener.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football