PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 4 THREAD: TCU vs. SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 4 THREAD: TCU vs. SMU

Postby PonySnob » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:28 pm

03Mustang wrote:Depth, experience, talent. Do you really need someone to explain that to you?

All of these have been issues since 1989
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:29 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:We won't be beating good teams with Hicks at QB

Not sure we win another game with Hicks at QB
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonySnob » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:33 pm

When do they tell Carmouche he's going to be a LB?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:35 pm

PonySnob wrote:When do they tell Carmouche he's going to be a LB?

Defense is not bad. Carmouche adds much needed depth at RB.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 pm

PonySnob wrote:
ponyfan37 wrote:We won't be beating good teams with Hicks at QB

Not sure we win another game with Hicks at QB

Any chance that Connor simpson gets a shot soon? Maybe ke'mon should be looked at as more than just a wildcat option..Unless they already determined he doesn't have the arm to play at this level. But combined with his mobility theres just no way it could be worse than hicks
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:39 pm

PonySnob wrote:
03Mustang wrote:Depth, experience, talent. Do you really need someone to explain that to you?

We haven't recruited well since then. Finally doing that and those issues are getting to be less significant. Do you remember how bad we were last year? The year before that?
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ready4abowl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:40 pm

03Mustang wrote:
PonySnob wrote:

We haven't recruited well since then. Finally doing that and those issues are getting to be less significant. Do you remember how bad we were last year? The year before that?

Are we better this year?
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:46 pm

Are we better this year?[/quote]

Definitely. Qb with a good arm makes this a game. Same thing with baylor..defense played well long enough to win if they had some help from the offense. Everything looks bigger, faster, stronger. Just don't have the accuracy. I like hicks. I think he's a fighter and maybe he will improve his accuracy over the years to become good enough to compete for the job..but he is not the guy right now.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 pm

No question we are better this year. Record may not be significantly better but this is a much improved team. Look at what Memphis did under Fuente - they won 2 or 3 games in each of his first 2 years before it took off. Similar trajectory.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Different game with Matt davis in there. Think our offense would have worn your defense down but your offense could have put up more points.

I couldn't believe Morris punted from the 36 and then tried for a FG on 4th and 1. That was disturbing to me as a TCU fan...couldn't believe he wasn't willing to go for it. Nothing to lose. I would be most unhappy with Morris about those decisions. Made no sense to me.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm

Are we better this year?

Absolutely. The areas that we were beaten tonight and against Baylor happen when coaching staffs make adjustments at halftime to exploit matchups.

As was mentioned before, our special teams aren't special. That as much as anything cost us field position and points on both sides of the ball. It isn't just rugby kicks, it is guys not staying in lanes. The takeaway from tonight ought to be to correct that GLARING weakness, before it costs us a game in the AAC against a team that we match up with talent-wise.

There will be other days...I hope while I am still alive to enjoy them, where SMU will be playing poorly, and still beat a TCU type team.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 pm

i think he has seen Kenny Hill doing stupid things all year, and thought if we stayed close we would get a break. I agree with you on the those being wrong decisions - but understand why he did it. I think most people that wait on Kenny Hill to do something stupid will win their bet. We just aren't quiet there with the pressure.
gostangs

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm

A very special thanks to the TCU showgirls.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 pm

peruna81 wrote:Are we better this year?

Absolutely. The areas that we were beaten tonight and against Baylor happen when coaching staffs make adjustments at halftime to exploit matchups.

As was mentioned before, our special teams aren't special. That as much as anything cost us field position and points on both sides of the ball. It isn't just rugby kicks, it is guys not staying in lanes. The takeaway from tonight ought to be to correct that GLARING weakness, before it costs us a game in the AAC against a team that we match up with talent-wise.

There will be other days...I hope while I am still alive to enjoy them, where SMU will be playing poorly, and still beat a TCU type team.

We made an adjustment after Millines was hurt we stopped blitzing and stopped playing aggressive. It wasn't our defense getting tired, we just completely backed off. Complete lack of confidence shown tonight by both the offensive and defensive coaching staffs and that is the worst part of the game. 12 and 4 are just fine, no need to take the foot off the gas. I get that 12 got burned at the beginning of the second half on the missed tackle, but he is the only player this year who has stepped up and stopped the pitch on an option play. Our DE blows the QB up every single time.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Defense was to why we got beat be 30 tonight imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football