PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium entry right before Liberty kickoff?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ford Stadium entry right before Liberty kickoff?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 pm

I really don't remember much about getting into Ford but I don't think it was that bad.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
SMU SID wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote: were the coaches missing on the "players walk" or did I miss them?

Yes. Band, cheer, pom, players, Peruna and coaches did the Mustang Walk at 3:30pm. The Walk will next take place for the UH game.

What's the point of this tradition if it doesn't occur every game?
TCU game is on a Friday night. With classes still in session late into the day, that may be a problem for some of the participants to be there for the "player's walk". Just a guess. Tulsa is a Friday game too, so we may not have a Player's walk" for that game either.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 pm

PK wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:
SMU SID wrote:[quote="Insane_Pony_Posse"]
were the coaches missing on the "players walk" or did I miss them?

Yes. Band, cheer, pom, players, Peruna and coaches did the Mustang Walk at 3:30pm. The Walk will next take place for the UH game.

What's the point of this tradition if it doesn't occur every game?
TCU game is on a Friday night. With classes still in session late into the day, that may be a problem for some of the participants to be there for the "player's walk". Just a guess. Tulsa is a Friday game too, so we may not have a Player's walk" for that game either.[/quote]

Especially if they set out to walk the whole 260 miles to Tulsa
RGV Pony

Postby SMUer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Yes, I'm going to take my pregnant wife and three year old, both of whom have been sweating from the humidity on the Blvd for +2 hours and convince them to sit in the stands, in the 100F sun, in an empty stadium 25 minutes before they have to. Great game day plan. This happens every year: new staff on game 1, working out the kinks and figuring it out on the job...they get better by game two and three and beyond. They should practice beforehand, no reason you shouldn't be able to get 9,000 fans into your stadium within 15 minutes.
SMUer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 am

This is not an issue with me, since I get there 25 minutes before kickoff. I was shocked to talk with a number of people at halftime, that said it was a massive disaster trying to get in 10 minutes before the game. Come on SMU...is it really that difficult?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby FriscoChuck » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:27 am

Security at gates was bad! Very long lines. No urgency at all to get people into game. I arrived plenty early and missed kick off. I almost never miss a kick off. Worse that I've seen since Ford has opened!!!! It was bad!!!
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:33 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:This is not an issue with me, since I get there 25 minutes before kickoff. I was shocked to talk with a number of people at halftime, that said it was a massive disaster trying to get in 10 minutes before the game. Come on SMU...is it really that difficult?

Totally agree. 25 minutes early, no wait, walked right in. Shortly after arrival, announcement of starting line ups, prayer, National Anthem, Varsity, teams come out on field, coin toss, kickoff. It is not like you are locked up in solitary for years on end. Just 25 minutes to kickoff and enjoy the atmosphere of college football.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 am

FriscoChuck wrote:Security at gates was bad! Very long lines. No urgency at all to get people into game. I arrived plenty early and missed kick off. I almost never miss a kick off. Worse that I've seen since Ford has opened!!!! It was bad!!!

Lets hope SMU gets this fixed for the TCU game. As someone said earlier in this thread, SMU almost always has loads of game-day issues at the start of every season. (remember the "no ice available" 1st game and it was 101 degrees?) What I worry about is the students that head to the stadium at kickoff, see the lines, and say "F-this" and head back to the Blvd, Milos, or their dorms. Preaching to them about staggering to the stadium 20-30 mins early is laughable at best....instead of blaming the victim....just fix the damn entry problems...open up more gates....like most schools.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:10 am

As long as it is not as bad as the 45 min wait at baylor...
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:20 am

Pony ^ wrote:As long as it is not as bad as the 45 min wait at baylor...

UNT was awful
smupony94

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 am

Pony ^ wrote:As long as it is not as bad as the 45 min wait at baylor...

That's exactly what I am worried about.
At least Baylor had more than twice the crowd size to deal with.
If SMU had this problem with "Liberty"...then it could be that much worse for the TCU game!
Trying to avoid the brutal sun I strolled right in 5 mins before kickoff at North Texas.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 am

and the long wait at Baylor was :40 minutes before Game Time when there wouldn't be any line at SMU game

this is really not SMU's problem-this is your problem
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:56 am

Stallion wrote:this is really not SMU's problem-this is your problem

I know your one of the guys that doesn't give much of a rat's a__s about the game-day experience, only about the X & O's. You'd be happy sitting in an empty stadium with 250 other anal know every stat since 1956 bores. The problem is a lot of others are not exactly like you....as evidenced in this very thread...and the over-all game-day experience is important to people with different circumstances like balancing watching a football game with crying hungry kids, late spouses, elderly slow-moving parents. Just like the guy who posted earlier in this thread, he can't walk into the empty stadium with his entourage/family 20-30 minutes before kickoff....many other schools can manage customers walking in near kickoff...wow who wooda thought that could happen? Anything that hampers the game-day experience for yes even casual fans IS SMU's problem! "Screw them" isn't going to fill the stadium. Now back to who was the 3rd string quarterback in 1957?
:roll:

ps: myrdel is going to come running...watch....lol
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Darn straight I am here. 25 freaking minutes out of your glorious life. The event is a football game not your party. Get into the stadium 25 minutes before kickoff. That is not early, that is on time. Glad I do not have to schedule appointments with you.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm

I think the problem is that everyone migrates from the Blvd. to only Gate 3, so that's where the bog down occurs. I know Gate 4 wasn't in use at the Liberty game and someone else mentioned Gate 2 only being for suite ticket holders; not sure about Gate 1. But I think the easiest solution (besides people yelling at you to get there earlier) is to have someone outside of Loyd or at Gate 3 encouraging people to go to Gates 1 and 4 (if they're in use) for faster entry.
FriscoPMG
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football