PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the most disturbing thing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: the most disturbing thing

Postby TidePony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:15 pm

mrydel wrote:That was a Saban compliment. If coaching up was so easy everyone would be a Saban.

I know, I was just messing with you! I usually agree with about 99.9% of what you post.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:24 pm

TidePony wrote:
mrydel wrote:That was a Saban compliment. If coaching up was so easy everyone would be a Saban.

I know, I was just messing with you! I usually agree with about 99.9% of what you post.

Are you single?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Bahahaha!!! Nope!!!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:49 pm

mrydel wrote:
TidePony wrote:

Are you single?

I'm almost certain Mrs.mrydel might object
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:14 pm

For 99.9% I change my sexual preference.
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

I just love this safe space.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
jimhagle wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:[
OL was opening some big holes to start the game but once Hicks starting missing on deep throws, TCU was able to crowd the line and stuff the run. Our OL is banged up and not very deep but I still see improvement over recent years where every play was a jail break

Big holes-really? I didn't see any nor did our running backs.

I'd have to go back and watch that 1st drive but I thought we moved the ball with ease and our RB was clearing the line of scrimmage untouched. Agree it didn't last...especially after we had to reach further down the depth chart because of injuries

Go back and watch the tape of the game. There is a hole a lot of the time, the RB hits it a little slow and then is met 2 yards after the LOS by a LB and the play is dead. The first drive, their LBs weren't in those holes, they were overaggressive. After that, they just waited and made plays. We did not break any tackles or make anyone miss.
JasonB

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:42 pm

JasonB wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
jimhagle wrote:[quote="Charleston Pony"][
OL was opening some big holes to start the game but once Hicks starting missing on deep throws, TCU was able to crowd the line and stuff the run. Our OL is banged up and not very deep but I still see improvement over recent years where every play was a jail break

Big holes-really? I didn't see any nor did our running backs.

I'd have to go back and watch that 1st drive but I thought we moved the ball with ease and our RB was clearing the line of scrimmage untouched. Agree it didn't last...especially after we had to reach further down the depth chart because of injuries

Go back and watch the tape of the game. There is a hole a lot of the time, the RB hits it a little slow and then is met 2 yards after the LOS by a LB and the play is dead. The first drive, their LBs weren't in those holes, they were overaggressive. After that, they just waited and made plays. We did not break any tackles or make anyone miss.[/quote]

This...there are much more improvements required than just Hicks. He is the easy scapegoat, but we are a running offense and our RBs didn't make the first guy miss. This is just one of many areas to improve. A little more time and a few long runs and bet we start to see Hicks play closer to expectations. It's a whole team concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:51 am

Against lesser opponents, West will get to that spot before the LB and explode for more yards. And Freeman/Carmouche will be big and strong enough to break a tackle or run players over. But they are young and not through the weight program and can't do that against upper tier players. Houston is the only team left on the table with that caliber LB (probably better than TCU actually).

Also, keep in mind that we were missing our best RB Xavier Jones. He is an upgrade from West judging from practice this year. Stronger with more burst and top end speed.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 am

There is no such thing as a lesser opponent
mrydel

Postby deucetz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:27 am

mrydel wrote:There is no such thing as a lesser opponent

Lol, I really hate that commercial. From the God particle, to this
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:27 am

JasonB wrote:Against lesser opponents, West will get to that spot before the LB and explode for more yards. And Freeman/Carmouche will be big and strong enough to break a tackle or run players over. But they are young and not through the weight program and can't do that against upper tier players. Houston is the only team left on the table with that caliber LB (probably better than TCU actually).

Also, keep in mind that we were missing our best RB Xavier Jones. He is an upgrade from West judging from practice this year. Stronger with more burst and top end speed.

Can't wait to see the attendance at the games against the "lesser opponents"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby 3rdGenPony » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am

If they hit on a couple of the wide open receivers running deep, I doubt there is anyone questioning the play calling. The play calling had the plays set up, but the players did not make the plays. I am still holding out hope for Hicks, but he struggled throwing deep on Friday. Not sure Davis even finds the open receivers. We are a year and a QB away (be it a more experienced Hicks or someone else). I just do not get anyone questioning the progress of the program after only one season and four games?!?
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:39 pm

I agree there are a lot of execution problems at the QB position. But as a coaching staff you have to find ways around that to make calls the QB will be successful at. The post to Sutton on his first throw wasn't 40 yards downfield. It was 25 and run. He isn't accurate when you make it deeper than that, so the post needs to hit the seam quicker.

Another note - I love the heads up throw it deep on offsides that we did 3 times. But they have to be catchable balls, there is no risk.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:53 pm

I believe Hicks was 9 for 15 in First Half and it was 20-3 before he threw his first interception. TCU's LBs are All-Big 12 candidates in Ty Summers and Travian Howard-they cleaned up with 23 tackles
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football