PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the most disturbing thing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: the most disturbing thing

Postby sbsmith » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:54 pm

3rdGenPony wrote: I just do not get anyone questioning the progress of the program after only one season and four games?!?

Some people thought Morris was going to waltz in here and fix everything ASAP, and since that hasn't happened they're getting impatient.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Comet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 am

Being aggressive would only do more to hurt Hicks than help him. Expect the status quo out of play calling with regards to Hicks for the remainder of the year. These games are now seen as more reps for our young guys, and that's it.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 am

Comet wrote:Being aggressive would only do more to hurt Hicks than help him. Expect the status quo out of play calling with regards to Hicks for the remainder of the year. These games are now seen as more reps for our young guys, and that's it.

So...what changed?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 am

Stallion wrote:I understand that some don't want to wait until next year for the party

I certainly hope you are right because we have basically been hearing the "just wait til next year" crap for most of the last 20 years and heck we are getting old...I'd like to have a couple of good years before I am sentenced to nursing home hell with bedpans and soft-food buffets.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:16 am

Pony Boss wrote:
Comet wrote:Being aggressive would only do more to hurt Hicks than help him. Expect the status quo out of play calling with regards to Hicks for the remainder of the year. These games are now seen as more reps for our young guys, and that's it.

So...what changed?

What's changed is no Davis, so the play-calling has to change to reflect the different skill set and lack of exp unfortunately. With Davis, Morris was taking a few shots down the field.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:35 am

Comet wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

So...what changed?

What's changed is no Davis, so the play-calling has to change to reflect the different skill set and lack of exp unfortunately. With Davis, Morris was taking a few shots down the field.

Talking about the season being about getting snaps for the young kids. That hasn't changed. Stallion has said so millions of times, party starts in 2017. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:31 pm

"Wait until next year!" has been the SMU football motto for the past 30 years.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Stallion wrote:I understand that some don't want to wait until next year for the party

I certainly hope you are right because we have basically been hearing the "just wait til next year" crap for most of the last 20 years and heck we are getting old...I'd like to have a couple of good years before I am sentenced to nursing home hell with bedpans and soft-food buffets.

You haven't heard that from me. This is the first time I have stated that SMU is building a strong football program since the DP. As I've always said it will take 3 years to win, 4 to compete for championships and about 5 to build a Championship quality program
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Comet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
Comet wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:So...what changed?

Talking about the season being about getting snaps for the young kids. That hasn't changed. Stallion has said so millions of times, party starts in 2017. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

I'm 100% in agreement with that
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:34 pm

HCCM should not do Hicks any favors. I'm sure he saw in films that TCU tended to cover the short pass and that we needed to stretch the field on them. Hicks has to hit Sutton going deep early on. Otherwise, TCU stacks up short and they did. If he can't throw long, then we need someone else under center. If he's the best we have this year at this point (and apparently he is), then its going to be a long year unless he improves. Hopefully, as the year goes on he'll get better, the line will get better and we'll be able to win some conference games. Dumming down the offense may work against some teams, but not TCU's defense.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby biffula » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Yall are closer than you think. Gave TCU and Baylor a hell of a first half. Depth is your enemy now. Give it 2 more years.
biffula
Recruit

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Stallion wrote:You haven't heard that from me. This is the first time I have stated that SMU is building a strong football program since the DP. As I've always said it will take 3 years to win, 4 to compete for championships and about 5 to build a Championship quality program

Ok.....God-willing I hope most us can hold on for just a few more "wait til next years".
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 pm

biffula wrote:Yall are closer than you think. Gave TCU and Baylor a hell of a first half. Depth is your enemy now. Give it 2 more years.

In the meantime we can cherish our moral victories.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Stallion wrote:You haven't heard that from me. This is the first time I have stated that SMU is building a strong football program since the DP. As I've always said it will take 3 years to win, 4 to compete for championships and about 5 to build a Championship quality program

Ok.....God-willing I hope most us can hold on for just a few more "wait til next years".

We're just 16 or 17 players away from having a really good team.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:06 pm

sbsmith wrote:
biffula wrote:Yall are closer than you think. Gave TCU and Baylor a hell of a first half. Depth is your enemy now. Give it 2 more years.

In the meantime we can cherish our moral victories.

We have so many of those.
Comet
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football