PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks

Postby indianmustang » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:00 am

every year its the same story some we never lucked out with QB,since i was watching last 12 years.
maybe 1 was decent justin wills and stupid june moves him to wr
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 am

Garrett gilbert was amazing. Forgot about that?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 am

indianmustang wrote:every year its the same story some we never lucked out with QB,since i was watching last 12 years.
maybe 1 was decent justin wills and stupid june moves him to wr

Garrett Gilbert. Also I still think pardon was the guy (assuming Gilbert doesn't come) his junior year was trashed in favor of JJ McDermott when he seemed to still be the better qb. He did well his one season at ewu and lost the job to a guy that transferred to Oregon and was the difference between them being a double digit win team and a 7-5 team. He wasn't a world beater but he was certainly competent, especially considering he was running jjs offense. We would be thrilled to have a qb score over 31 TD's this year like pardon did in 2010
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby SMUer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 am

I realize that the Elite11 aren't literally the best eleven QBs in the nation but they've got to be Top 30ish, right? Neither of our two have been able to play D1 game speed or make basic throws...a head-scratcher.

I say stop guessing...blue-chip transfers are the way to go. Too bad we don't have a rep for getting QaBs drafted.
SMUer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:38 am

SMUer wrote:I realize that the Elite11 aren't literally the best eleven QBs in the nation but they've got to be Top 30ish, right? Neither of our two have been able to play D1 game speed or make basic throws...a head-scratcher.

I say stop guessing...blue-chip transfers are the way to go. Too bad we don't have a rep for getting QaBs drafted.

Funny that's the case considering the qb "guru" was here for a number of years.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby ready4abowl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 am

mtrout wrote:These comments about hicks demeanor concern me. Especially considering CMs system puts more focus on the mental game and positive outlook than any football coach I've ever seen.

I see a big lack of mental toughness in the team. Hopefully HCCM can teach some of these players to fight the fight and finish the race.
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:45 am

ready4abowl wrote:
mtrout wrote:These comments about hicks demeanor concern me. Especially considering CMs system puts more focus on the mental game and positive outlook than any football coach I've ever seen.

I see a big lack of mental toughness in the team. Hopefully HCCM can teach some of these players to fight the fight and finish the race.

I saw less fight from the staff imo. As other have pointed out they didn't put the team in a position to win...not going for It on 4th and Short and instead kicking a field goal that is 50/50 instead of keeping them off the field and trying to punch it in. Also defensive scheming got way more conservative once millines was ejected
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby ready4abowl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:19 am

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
ready4abowl wrote:

I saw less fight from the staff imo. As other have pointed out they didn't put the team in a position to win...not going for It on 4th and Short and instead kicking a field goal that is 50/50 instead of keeping them off the field and trying to punch it in. Also defensive scheming got way more conservative once millines was ejected

Lack of drive was across the board. Shame.
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 am

Reminder: Garrett Gilbert was a major bust until his 4th year of college football and that includes his first year at SMU

Bo Levi was run out of town by inconsistency in his first 2 year

McCown had an absolutely horrible sophomore season at SMU and was a Pick6/turnover machine

Matt Davis has had a rudimentary understanding of the QB position during his first 4 years as a College QB and has survived on athleticism

Padron was inconsistent until he got to EWU

You can go on and on-for 25 years Chris Sanders et al

You generally win with experienced upperclassman QBs in College Football

The common denominator of the SMU QB equation is that we expect too much out the next young QB phenom-almost all of the QBs above were forced to play as Freshman because his predecessor had previously burned out as freshman/sophomore QB

Hicks has been placed in a situation he is not fully prepared for
Last edited by Stallion on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 am

Why Hicks is not ready...
+ throws too many interceptions
+ cannot move the offense in the red zone
+ does not make plays
+ poor decision making from the pocket
+ cannot run
+ too many sacks (sacks are not all attributed to OL)
+ not a leader of men
+ misses throws to open receivers (costed us two TDs last night, one TD last week)
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:35 am

#JaredRomoIsMyHomeboy
SMUer

Postby SMUer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:37 am

Somehow other schools can get red shirt freshman or true sophomores to complete passes...by some miracle I guess
SMUer

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:40 am

I saw less fight from the staff imo. As other have pointed out they didn't put the team in a position to win...not going for It on 4th and Short and instead kicking a field goal that is 50/50 instead of keeping them off the field and trying to punch it in. Also defensive scheming got way more conservative once millines was ejected[/quote]

Lack of drive was across the board. Shame.[/quote]

Please, just stop it
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:04 pm

SMUer wrote:Somehow other schools can get red shirt freshman or true sophomores to complete passes...by some miracle I guess

School about 190 miles to the south has a true freshman QB hitting 66% of his passes with 7 TD's and only 2 interceptions.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:05 pm

With an OL that is about 10x better than ours.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football