PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks

Postby ojaipony » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Ben Hicks is a RS freshman just playing too early. Simple as that. He's a decent 3rd string type in his sophomore and junior years with a possible option to compete for a starter job in senior year. What I thought he was before and still definitely think now. Matt Davis is all we had and Chad has had 2 years of recruiting, hard to get your guy in that short of time especially with an established star/starter. We'll be better next year, and yes I know we've been saying that for 30 years. Just saw an uninspired group tonight which is the most disappointing.

3-4 wins tops.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Got to get he O clicking somehow.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 pm

y'all seem to be unaware of how you look when you play good teams. TCU has lost one game - to a good arkansas in overtime. Our D looked great for 2 and one half qtrs. Our offense moved some, but as usual couldn't score. That will change in AAC season games.

We will win at least 5 games.
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Chad has an obligation to call a game that gives Hicks and the team and chance to win and I don't think that happened. I understand Hicks has limitations, but the 4th down calls were borderline cowardly.
skyscraper

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:27 pm

gostangs wrote:y'all seem to be unaware of how you look when you play good teams. TCU has lost one game - to a good arkansas in overtime. Our D looked great for 2 and one half qtrs. Our offense moved some, but as usual couldn't score. That will change in AAC season games.

I wish I could believe that but unless something changes dramatically on the offense. I think it's only going to matter how much the defense can cause turnovers and hopefully points from it. Liberty's defense gave us troubles...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:28 pm

ojaipony wrote:Ben Hicks is a RS freshman just playing too early. Simple as that. He's a decent 3rd string type in his sophomore and junior years with a possible option to compete for a starter job in senior year. What I thought he was before and still definitely think now. Matt Davis is all we had and Chad has had 2 years of recruiting, hard to get your guy in that short of time especially with an established star/starter. We'll be better next year, and yes I know we've been saying that for 30 years. Just saw an uninspired group tonight which is the most disappointing.

3-4 wins tops.

Agree on all points.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:31 pm

gostangs wrote:y'all seem to be unaware of how you look when you play good teams. TCU has lost one game - to a good arkansas in overtime. Our D looked great for 2 and one half qtrs. Our offense moved some, but as usual couldn't score. That will change in AAC season games.

Isn't that the June Jone just wait until conference play gets here mentality? It's not like all the AAC teams are like Liberty. In fact they are all better than Liberty. I don't know how many games we will win but I don't think it will be a 5 game cakewalk. I think it will be a grind.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMUer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 pm

So maybe we can expect a touchdown every now and then?
SMUer

Postby deucetz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Our worst position is offensive line. I hope we gets more depth. It's embarrassing.

Get jucos
deucetz
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:46 pm

CargoGunki wrote:But but but SMU fans celebrated and rubbed it in when he flipped from UH. But but but his offers from Florida and Michigan but but but SMU fans claimed Hicks was better than Ward and the second coming.

I think HCCM wanted Chase Vigil as the primary QB target but he committed to Fresno State.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:48 pm

There were a lot of other reasons SMU got shut out on offense other than just Ben Hicks. Offensive Line was dominated and RBs were ineffective. TCU Defense was impressive. Sutton and Proche made some plays. Look Matt Davis ain't coming back no matter how much you talk about it. We got to move forward and get at least 4 wins with what we got.

Since it was obvious Matt Davis wasn't coming back I'm focusing on what Hicks does right because there isn't anybody else

He did a good job of getting the ball to his better receivers tonite. He's pretty fearless in the pocket. I think he knows the offense far better than Davis ever did-he's just not making big plays. Missed on 2 home runs tonite that could have really given him some confidence
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 pm

We make every team's defense look impressive...TCU effectively stopped runs straight up the middle. GAME OVER.
SMUer

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:11 am

Who else will we beat this season and why?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:17 am

sbsmith wrote:

Who else will we beat this season and why?

Without qb improvement I don't see another win on the schedule.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Cadillac » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:20 am

Stallion just recapped my side of a conversation with my old lady. I thought he threw fewer ducks tonight than last week.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Cadillac
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football