PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First Team Defense Competed WelL

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: First Team Defense Competed WelL

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 pm

some of them were crossing routes by WRs who beat the CBs. Pretty sure TCU coaches saw that work in Baylor game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:16 pm

The corners are supposed to get inside help and it isn't happening. But still, long developing routes and not deep.

Most impressive thing about the defense in the first half was that most of it was on a very short field.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Stallion, thanks for starting a productive thread.

We're on our way. Defense is better but still lacks depth and enough big bodies. Offense shows signs but injuries are taking their toll and we need some skill players to step up and take the game over in key situations.

Foundation has been laid. First floor was going up well until we had to replace some materials, but we'll get back on track. Need to keep a realistic approach going when grading the teams efforts. I don't expect that from most in here, but at least a few get it like most do elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 am

Stallion wrote:Looks like we are half way there on Defense-the First Half

I would have been shocked if you told me that we shut out (no TDs) 2 of the most explosive offenses in the Country in the First Half

I don't even want to look at the 2nd Half numbers in those games-its not unusual for young inexperienced teams with little depth to fold in 2nd Half and not unusual for superior teams to wake up after Half time and squish an upstart inferior team. Kind of hard to get a perspective yet-but the effort has been there in first half

In the second half, the defense got worn down and we had to play younger/less talented players more.

On a positive note: McNew got a late sack and Blake Carlisle got in on two tackles.

Millines tackles like The Waterboy. #fury Earlier in the game, I was worried he would get tossed for different big hit.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football