PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I formation for a while or even the veer?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I formation for a while or even the veer?

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:36 pm

Since we are going through some challenges in throwing the ball does anyone think going to the I formation or the veer for a few plays would help?
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: I formation for a while or even the veer?

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:43 pm

No
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Since we are going through some challenges in throwing the ball does anyone think going to the I formation or the veer for a few plays would help?

What would help is better accuracy from the QB.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Just trying to think of something that could help with the personnel that we have.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Changing the offense in the middle of the season would not work. That is what spring training is for. We have our offense, the players need to execute. If not executed, the players should be and new players brought in.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Since we are going through some challenges in throwing the ball does anyone think going to the I formation or the veer for a few plays would help?

What would help is better accuracy from the QB.

What would help is if the wideouts caught the ball. Also if our OL can make holes so that the running game gains more yards per carry.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:22 pm

No. They are relics. Modern formations give you most of their upsides (running the ball) with significantly better passing opportunities. If we can't run the ball out of our current offense, we can't run it out of a new offense.

I grew up running the veer. You need a quick, agile QB to run it right. We don't have one. Although Freeman is fast enough, playing QB would take away his power running game.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Just trying to think of something that could help with the personnel that we have.

There's nothing wrong with what we're running, just have to keep at it. Hicks will either start performing or the next guy will.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:11 pm

Need to go back to pre-snap read, simplification and the rollout pass. He doesn't need to run, but his accuracy to the sideline is awful. Rolling out and shortening the field makes it easier and his accuracy on the rollout is fantastic if you watch the Liberty game (think about that pass to Proche) and also the one pass in the TCU game.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 am

mrydel wrote:Changing the offense in the middle of the season would not work. That is what spring training is for. We have our offense, the players need to execute. If not executed, the players should be and new players brought in.

Gotcha. Not really saying change the offense totally just maybe adding a new wrinkle or 2 here and there.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 am

We lost to two teams with hugely more talent that we have. Our best recruited players are about at the level of their worst. When the talent evens out we will start scoring a bunch more points (ala UNT and liberty).

Chill - Chad is climbing the mountain and we are not even at the first base camp.
gostangs

Return to Football