PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1-24 against the Big 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 1-24 against the Big 12

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Pony Boss wrote:Fan interest is measured in how good the team is, not the name of the team we play against. SMU has no excuse to win every game in that home slate you mentioned.

Again, you're wrong. Who we play has EVERYTHING to do with attendance. Winning alone will not bring people to SMU games. Look at 2011 when we started 4-1 on the heels of back-to-back bowl appearances, and we had a thrilling OT win over TCU. The following week we played UCF (a school no one cares about in Dallas) and you know how many people showed up on a beautiful day?? About 10,000.

It was also the moment June Jones quit on SMU. And honestly, he had every right to be upset as hell at our fan base. That was inexcusable. So don't come on here with b.s. that it doesn't matter who we play and it only matters if we win.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:Fan interest is measured in how good the team is, not the name of the team we play against. SMU has no excuse to win every game in that home slate you mentioned.

Again, you're wrong. Who we play has EVERYTHING to do with attendance. Winning alone will not bring people to SMU games. Look at 2011 when we started 4-1 on the heels of back-to-back bowl appearances, and we had a thrilling OT win over TCU. The following week we played UCF (a school no one cares about in Dallas) and you know how many people showed up on a beautiful day?? About 10,000.

It was also the moment June Jones quit on SMU. And honestly, he had every right to be upset as hell at our fan base. That was inexcusable. So don't come on here with b.s. that it doesn't matter who we play and it only matters if we win.

Your post is baseless and dead wrong. No one bought that miracle win vs TCU and knew that team was all smoke and mirrors after getting creamed by A&M in game 1.
Everyone knew that was a lucky win and the 8-5 final record prove it. Just stop posting LA.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:58 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:

You are both right and wrong. Attendance for that game was listed at 22,932. I'm sure it was a little less than that, but certainly not 13,000 less. I was at that game. I would also like to point out that we were 4-1 with a blowout loss against Texas A&M and other wins against UTEP, Northwestern State, and Memphis (before they were good). If June Jones honestly thought we would turn around and sell out the stadium after that, he's even stupider than I thought.

You are correct we need to play name teams. And one year of a 9 win season won't get us to a sell out, sorry Pony Boss. We will need to have a few 9-10 plus win seasons. One thing we have going for us is we have a coach that actually engages SMU and the community.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Perunashoof,
We were winning for the first time in 25 years with back-to-back bowl appearances and started the following year 4-1 with a win over a ranked TCU team and you're using the A&M loss as an excuse for no one showing up for the UCF game? It just proves my point that SMU fans will not show up against lesser opponents regardless what our record is. BTW, the stadium was not even close to being half full. I might give you 13,000 but that is the max.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:29 pm

I was able to converse with people in the east stands from 104 during the UCF game. It was an embarrassing showing. We need local teams and wins to draw people. And the Blvd will still be full of people. But I would enjoy an 8 or 9 win season next year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

Your post is baseless and dead wrong. No one bought that miracle win vs TCU and knew that team was all smoke and mirrors after getting creamed by A&M in game 1.
Everyone knew that was a lucky win and the 8-5 final record prove it. Just stop posting LA.

Right on LA. Pony Boss.......duuuuuhhhhhhh :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Eh shut up troll bag
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:33 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Perunashoof,
We were winning for the first time in 25 years with back-to-back bowl appearances and started the following year 4-1 with a win over a ranked TCU team and you're using the A&M loss as an excuse for no one showing up for the UCF game? It just proves my point that SMU fans will not show up against lesser opponents regardless what our record is. BTW, the stadium was not even close to being half full. I might give you 13,000 but that is the max.

I get what you're saying, but we need a breakout season (in my opinion). I will always show up, I don't know what it's going to take to get random Dallas people and the lost alumni. I'm guessing we would need to be ranked and getting the attention Houston is now. Two years a go they won 7 games (I think). Last year 12 including Florida State in the bowl. If we can replicate something like that, I think (and hope, because if we can't it's not good) we should be able to fill the stadium.

I agree with Mrydel we need to play local teams. We also need to not swing the pendulum from one side (Baylor, TCU, and the Aggie in one season) too far to the other.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:42 pm

The UCF attendance that day was shocking. I really thought that one was it.

I don't know the right answer, but it would be interesting to see what happens with a combination of a team which is regularly 10-2 and plays teams of which people have heard.

Not sure we will ever see that though.

Beat Temple!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:26 am

Pony Boss wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

Disagreement on these boards is fine, but this guy has treated rudely seemingly every poster on PonyFans and Scout.

And what is funny, is that this guy takes shots at PonyFans and posters on PonyFans while he is spouting off his crap
on Scout.

Next time you want to take jabs at PonyFans on Scout, I suggest you take a good look at yourself.

and I am about to ask Billy and Pat for my money back on Scout.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 am

for those who think it really doesn't matter who we play as long as we win and win big, maybe next year will be your "welcome to reality" when it comes to SMU football. Just ask some of the guys who played on those great early 80's teams how well our games were attended
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 am

The UCF game doesn't even register in my Top 10 most embarrassing attendances. It was exactly what you'd expect for a mid-Oct, 11am kickoff against a program 5,000 miles away with very little named recognition or alumni-base in Dallas...17K growing to 20K.
SMUer

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 am

SMUer wrote:The UCF game doesn't even register in my Top 10 most embarrassing attendances. It was exactly what you'd expect for a mid-Oct, 11am kickoff against a program 5,000 miles away with very little named recognition or alumni-base in Dallas...17K growing to 20K.

Agree. There have been as bad and worse.

UCF was bad, to be sure, but it was also victim of the June hyperbole. "NFL first round" "80,000 people showed up at Aloha Stadium" etc etc. After TCU he prob told the team to expect 45,000 to jam Ford.
RGV Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 am

In hindsight, maybe it was a blessing that so few showed for that UCF game. If we had a sellout crowd for that one, JJ might still be around delivering 8-5/7-6 seasons and going about 1 for 10 against teams with better than .500 records. Hopefully SMU faithful will respond better if Chad gets this team to where we were that year
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:for those who think it really doesn't matter who we play as long as we win and win big, maybe next year will be your "welcome to reality" when it comes to SMU football. Just ask some of the guys who played on those great early 80's teams how well our games were attended

I was at Texas Stadium in '83. Cotton Bowl win occurred earlier that year. SMU was in 5th year of Pony Express, ranked in Top 10 on a beautiful fall day.

Texas Stadium seated 67k. We played Rice. 'Maybe' 22k attended*.

* - excluding concourse
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football