PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Attendance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Houston Attendance

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:47 am

Bottom line in the attendance discussion is that we are very fortunate to have Ford Stadium because I do believe we are capable at some point in the future of filling Ford for most games. The casual sports fan in Dallas does not relate to SMU but if Chad builds as strong a football program as Larry & Jank have in bball, I'm confident we will be able to attract 30k to our games. Once people come out and experience gameday on the boulevard, attending games at Ford just might become as popular as attending games in Moody. Just be thankful we don't have to play in The Cotton Bowl or at Jerry World where our poor attendance would really stand out.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:52 am

Win more games against good, better, ranked opponents will help as well.
ponyte

Postby PonySnob » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:31 am

mrydel wrote:I thought we had many more than usual at the end. Houston had a pretty good showing on the east side and they all left early. West side remained pretty well attended to the end in my opinion.

It wasn't pleasant surprise that the west side didn't start emptying out once it was clear SMU had the game. Seemed like most people stayed to the very end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Houston Attendance

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:48 am

I walked out of the Tulsa game dejected, sad, and disgusted - I felt bad for our players and their parents (who were awesome by the way!). It sucked.

Well, last night I was slightly over served and yes a bit boisterous and rowdy, but left the stadium completely euphoric. Our attendance was improved, our cheering was even better - we took a leap in the right direction - we had a break through! Give it time, it will happen.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:12 am

TidePony wrote:I walked out of the Tulsa game dejected, sad, and disgusted - I felt bad for our players and their parents (who were awesome by the way!). It sucked.

Well, last night I was slightly over served and yes a bit boisterous and rowdy, but left the stadium completely euphoric. Our attendance was improved, our cheering was even better - we took a leap in the right direction - we had a break through! Give it time, it will happen.

How often do you have your tide and the ponies winning on the same day? Bet you enjoyed putting a beatdown on those ags! Congrats
#PonyUp
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:03 am

Yesterday, BOTH beat highly ranked teams! And, Fatterson lost, I wonder who he blamed this time! Bahahahahahaha!!!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:21 am

sbsmith wrote:
mrydel wrote:I hate to sound like JJ but if we can beat Tulane, I will be disappointed if we do not have a good showing for Memphis. I will not hold my breath however.

Good showing as in 20K SMU fans seated?

A good showing to me at this stage would be those that came last night plus those that stayed at home because they thought we would get blown out.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skyscraper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Anyone thinking beating Houston is going to magically have people appearing in Ford are bound to be disappointed. It's a process.
skyscraper

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:54 pm

What was official attendance? Didn't see it in the DMN. Hopefully Memphis isn't an 11 am kickoff.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:56 pm

RGV Pony

Postby sbsmith » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 pm

gostangs wrote:
It's not a lousy fan base, it's a beaten down fan base. Please try to follow along.

It is absolutely a lousy fanbase, history has proven that definitively.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 pm

you are just flat out wrong sbsmith.

You take any school anywhere near our size, put them in a weak conference that plays basically nobody for 30 years and have them underachieve for that entire time and you will get what we have only much much worse.

Our fans and the city of Dallas will respond when we get some success that is better than the four worst bowls and 6 win seasons. Bet on it.

I guess you haven't ever been to Moody.
gostangs

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Absolutely correct. It is indeed a process - over years - but it can happen.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:12 pm

You'll know when SMU's program has arrived when all those seats in the Center of East stands are filled with SMU fans and our opponents are sitting in two separate sections of the end zone like at TCU and Baylor-that's how you squeeze out opponents-by selling season tickets
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Fwiw this year weve sold more season tickets than any other year where a&m and tcu were not on the home schedule
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football