PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No sacks, Again!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

No sacks, Again!

Postby ponyte » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:24 am

Once again, our beleaguered O line protected Hicks and didn't give up a sack.

3 TD passes and NO interceptions.

Rushed for 178 yards.

Ran more offensive plays than Houston!

More first downs than Houston both rushing and passing first downs.

Out O'ed Houston by over 100 yards total offense.

Red Zone, 4-4 with 3 TDs

The O played a very strong game. I know the D was beyond outstanding but the O put upside great numbers against a good defense.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: No sacks, Again!

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 am

Yes our Oline is playing better every game. A lot of it I think is that Hicks has a decent grasp on the internal clock to let the ball go. While I didn't think he played great, he won and didn't turn the ball over and you cant ask for much more than that. I also like how they started letting him run the zone read. He's not a burner but I think that will open the running game up quite a bit. I truly believe the Defense won this one along with Coach Morris slowing the game down and letting our defense rest a little.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:33 am

Didn't play great? Were we watching the same game? He had a fantastic game against very good competition. Give the guy some credit. Very good execution.
gostangs

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:47 am

gostangs wrote:Didn't play great? Were we watching the same game? He had a fantastic game against very good competition. Give the guy some credit. Very good execution.

16/31 for 228 yards and his lowest completion percentage other than Baylor is great? Its decent, its not bad, but its far from GREAT. I didn't say he played bad just said he didn't play great. I gave him credit for not turning the ball over and getting the win. Are you who I get the participation ribbons from??
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:50 am

having the OL guys back in their original positions was huge and it showed. Protection was good, passing lanes were opened and running game was pretty solid...and with a little time, Hicks did a nice job of reading the field and finding the open guy
Charleston Pony

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:33 am

Forget the numbers. Hicks threw for 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions which means he had a GREAT game.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:34 am

ebrooks11 wrote:
gostangs wrote:Didn't play great? Were we watching the same game? He had a fantastic game against very good competition. Give the guy some credit. Very good execution.

16/31 for 228 yards and his lowest completion percentage other than Baylor is great? Its decent, its not bad, but its far from GREAT. I didn't say he played bad just said he didn't play great. I gave him credit for not turning the ball over and getting the win. Are you who I get the participation ribbons from??

There were several bad drops by the WR's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 am

PonySnob wrote:
ebrooks11 wrote:

There were several bad drops by the WR's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again I didn't say he played bad. Just said I didnt qualify his performance as great.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:05 am

Id say it was great given the competition. Without drops we are talking 300 plus yds, three touchdowns and no interceptions vs number 11 in country.
gostangs

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 am

gostangs wrote:Id say it was great given the competition. Without drops we are talking 300 plus yds, three touchdowns and no interceptions vs number 11 in country.

Okay
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

Houston dropped a couple of gifts from Hicks too... That being said, just managing the offense, spreading the ball around, recognizing and taking what the defense gives you (ala the TD to Proche) is no small accomplishment for a freshman QB. I'm glad Hicks enrolled early and did the hard work to get himself ready. Can't be anything other than pleased at his continued game-by-game maturation.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:13 am

Who was the starting OL?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Natour-McCarty-Brown-Saenna-Briggs
JasonB

Postby White Helmet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Watching back on the DVR, they did a great job controlling Ed Oliver. He made a few plays early but a lot of the time they just turned him away from the run. By the 4th quarter he. Was moving backwards more than forward.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I loved looking at the blocking on the short td run by Hicks. They bit on the fake but the left side of the line opened up a huge hole. Whoever took out the defensive end of uh did a great job.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football