PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB Next Year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QB Next Year

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 am

We're going to finally have a real QB competition come this Spring, Summer, and Fall camp (barring many major injuries) for the first time in forever. Especially if Hicks keeps playing the way he has, he has every right to compete for the starting job next year (and I'm not even throwing in Matt Davis). Think about it:

- Rafe
- DJ

(both solid upper P5 caliber recruits coming out of high school - although not tons of real D1 game experience, they are vets from great programs)

- Hicks

- Brewer (with this depth, he will be brought along nice and slow the way it should be and he'll be ready to hit the ground running in a couple of years . .. of course, if he proves to be the best one, then so be it . . . bottom line is that this competition will be great for all ... and with X Jones and A Thomas at RB next year, we will be solid at QB/RB/WR (Trey Quinn! and also remember Rau/Becker/Benson to go along of course with Sutton/Proche/Castille with another year under the belts of K Thomas and Honey ... offensive skill positions will be absolutely LOADED and deep) -- give us a halfway decent OL and this offense just might start showing us what HCCM can do with one!)

- Matt (if he comes back, you have to get him on the field somewhere/somehow even if it's NOT at QB)
Last edited by ojaipony on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: QB Next Year

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:59 am

Won't Be Brewer: Ever since June showed up on campus, there has been an enormous "need" to throw a freshman into games before he is ready. Thanks to depth, that mistake doesn't have to be repeated with Brewer. If and when he can "TAKE" the job from good players, he'll be the starter. Otherwise, we have "good" options.

Hicks, Peavy and Gillins will fight for the job. From that group, we will have decent options at 1-3rd string.

The more Hicks plays, the more likely he will win the job. He really is getting better.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Top Twenty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:02 am

It started long before June...Chris Sanders and Josh McCown both come to mind.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby BleedSMUPride » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 am

I believe Sutton will and should enter the draft after this year. He is a big name being talked about with first or second round potential. I love having him here but when he hurt his knee and rushed under the tent, made me think its not worth him risking another season with us when he could go and be a high pick and make millions being an impact receiver in the NFL.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 am

Matt D will be on the field somewhere to contribute.

I believe HCCM when he says Sutton is not ready for the NFL (and yes, that could be coachspeak). One additional year of maturity and stats will get his stock way up.
SmooBoy

Postby Chnash318 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 am

I'm expecting Davis to be back. QB play may not be a strength next year but it definitely shouldn't be a weakness.
Chnash318
Junior Varsity

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:17 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Matt D will be on the field somewhere to contribute.

I believe HCCM when he says Sutton is not ready for the NFL (and yes, that could be coachspeak). One additional year of maturity and stats will get his stock way up.

The 2017 class is weak at WR overall and he would already be one of the top 3-5 receivers available. From what I'm hearing, he's coming out. Hope everyone supports him if he does.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I don't think he should-think he'd likely have a short career after being a 3-4th round draft choice-yes he makes spectacular
grabs in the air. What he is not so spectacular at is speed, running great routes, elusiveness or getting open.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:26 pm

SmooBoy wrote:I believe HCCM when he says Sutton is not ready for the NFL (and yes, that could be coachspeak). One additional year of maturity and stats will get his stock way up.

Too big of chance to take on getting hurt and not being drafted at all if he comes back. He's not playing a non contact sport like bowling. Selfishly I want him to come back For SMU but if would not be the best move for him.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:27 pm

I hope Sutton stays another year or two and become our LaDainian Tomlinson.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:32 pm

I hope he goes to the NFL this year as a first or second round draft pick and makes a ton of money.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:36 pm

...after winning the Fred Biletnikoff Award.
mustangxc

Postby jimhagle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:10 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:

The 2017 class is weak at WR overall and he would already be one of the top 3-5 receivers available. From what I'm hearing, he's coming out. Hope everyone supports him if he does.

The WR class for 2017 is only weak because we don't need to burn any scholarships on that position. We have a ton on the team already and they are still young. Plus we have a couple stud freshmen redshirtring this year too.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:11 pm

jimhagle wrote:
mavsrage311 wrote:

The WR position for 2017 is only weak because we don't need to burn any scholarships on that position. We have a ton on the team already and they are still young. Plus we have a couple stud freshmen redshirtring this year too.

Pretty sure the 'weak' class was referring to the 2017 draft.
SmooBoy

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 pm

jimhagle wrote:
mavsrage311 wrote:

The WR class for 2017 is only weak because we don't need to burn any scholarships on that position. We have a ton on the team already and they are still young. Plus we have a couple stud freshmen redshirtring this year too.

If he can go 1st or 2nd round, he should go and I'd support him (although selfishly I'd like him to stay another year here). If not, he should stay one more year, work on his conditioning/speed/route running.
ojaipony

Next

Return to Football