PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On to Tulane

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

On to Tulane

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 am

What do we know about them, other than these gawd-arful helmets?

SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: On to Tulane

Postby TidePony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 am

It's their Homecoming correct? Let's spoil it!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:34 am

Watched part of the Tulsa game with Tulane. Awful offense and pretty good defense in the portion of the game I saw. Just hope Morris and Malone can bring it for this game like they did for Houston. And the kids execute the plan.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Must win game! All the others will be a steep challenge. I hope the team does not take Tulane lightly as I expect a dogfight given that Tulane probably looks at us as their most realistic chance of winning a conference game.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Very good defense and a really good running game with a triple option.

We are going to have to find a way to create negative plays in this game. If we do, we can really disrupt their passing game.

So far this year on option plays, we do a great job of freeing our end up to smack the QB, but we don't have anyone out wide to stop the RB on the pitch.

I suspect we will try to play man in coverage with one free safety. The safety will be asked to come down and help on the pitch. That is where our speed is at. We will blitz the MLB and Will up the middle to stop the dive. One safety takes the pitch/TE one direction and the SAM/Star takes the other direction.
JasonB

On to Tulane

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes let's ruin their homecoming, and Halloween, and Voodoo fest/Tool concert, and LSU-Alabama night. Will be a complete S#^+ show in the quarter.
smusic 00

Postby PonyKai » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:12 am

I love their throwback helmets. The fighting wave is awesome. Looks outstanding.
PonyKai

Postby smupony94 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:27 am

smupony94

Postby Digetydog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:18 am

JasonB wrote:Very good defense and a really good running game with a triple option.

We are going to have to find a way to create negative plays in this game. If we do, we can really disrupt their passing game.

So far this year on option plays, we do a great job of freeing our end up to smack the QB, but we don't have anyone out wide to stop the RB on the pitch.

I suspect we will try to play man in coverage with one free safety. The safety will be asked to come down and help on the pitch. That is where our speed is at. We will blitz the MLB and Will up the middle to stop the dive. One safety takes the pitch/TE one direction and the SAM/Star takes the other direction.

They don't have a passing game to speak of. Against, Tulsa they threw 19 times for 37 yards. Memphis 30 times for 144 yards. Against Navy, they threw 12 times for 21 yards.

They are going to want to:
1) Play good defense and take advantage of turnovers; and
2) Run the ball and run the clock.

If we can stop the Triple Option and throw the ball, we will win. If not, we will have another June Jones moment.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football