PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston fan meltdown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston fan meltdown

Postby GoMustAAngs2007 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 am

Just some musings as I continue enjoying Saturday's outcome, and since it looks like I started one of two threads asking Cargo and fbdad about their thoughts on the game.

The Houston fan meltdowns on social media and other boards make for great entertainment. For the past year we've had to hear about how beating an unmotivated Florida State team in the Peach Bowl means their farts smell better than everyone else's and that they are now "elite". That Tom Herman was going to be their coach forever. That their win over OU punched their ticket to the Big XII (when it may in fact have done the opposite).

Now it's either about Herman already having an agreement in place at LSU or UT with some even calling for his firing. I really believe the Herman speculation + the B12 news took a ton of wind out of their sails. They were setting everything up within their community, with fans, and with recruits that they were headed to the B12.

I am looking forward to seeing how this SMU team can build on the win. I know if/when Chad Morris is plucked away from SMU by a bigger program, it will be because he succeeded at SMU enough to deserve a better opportunity and will have laid a foundation for the next coach to be equally if not more successful.

Let us stay grounded in reality, enjoy the good pub from this win, and respect the process that this team still has a ways to go before we are ranked, competing for AAC championships, and selling out Ford for opponents not named Baylor, TCU, A&M, or Tech.
GoMustAAngs2007
Junior Varsity

Re: Houston fan meltdown

Postby MEcoog08 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 am

I'm glad you can rejoice in our misery.

Congrats on the win.
MEcoog08

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 am

Why leave for a bigger program if he can build SMU into a bigger program? And get paid as much?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 pm

MEcoog -

We excel in misery. You will find no sympathy here.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

herman just lost a ton a money on Saturday.
Nacho

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

gostangs wrote:MEcoog -

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. For someone affiliated with literally ANY other FBS program in the country to come on here and tell SMU fans about misery is the height of audacity!!! I have 20 years worth of misery to prove it, and I'm one of the young guys!!! LOL!!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby docabel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:08 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. For someone affiliated with literally ANY other FBS program in the country to come on here and tell SMU fans about misery is the height of audacity!!! I have 20 years worth of misery to prove it, and I'm one of the young guys!!! LOL!!

This is the equivalent of when we talk smack about other teams attendance...
docabel
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:

And then there is the unique misery that those of us who witnessed SMU at the Top of the Mountain (we were an elite Sear's Directors Cup program) who witnessed one of the biggest fall from grace in sports history.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Pony Boss wrote:Why leave for a bigger program if he can build SMU into a bigger program? And get paid as much?

no way SMU will be able to match what Texas (or A$M) would throw at Chad if he becomes their target at some point in the future
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:59 pm

MEcoog08 wrote:I'm glad you can rejoice in our misery.

Congrats on the win.

you guys could still have a great season if you can beat Memphis and Louisville...especially the latter as that would bring recognition for Houston and the AAC. If your guys play like they did against us, Louisville will embarrass the Cougs
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:Why leave for a bigger program if he can build SMU into a bigger program? And get paid as much?

no way SMU will be able to match what Texas (or A$M) would throw at Chad if he becomes their target at some point in the future

Well if he's on a mood to get fired at UT after 3 years and have no time for recruiting cause you gotta rub the big boy bellies and show up in the cow network 4 times a week then feel free.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:22 pm

And you don't think SMU big boys will match the 4 or 5 mil they may throw at him?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Pony Boss wrote:And you don't think SMU big boys will match the 4 or 5 mil they may throw at him?

No, not that much.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Lol lololol ok ok... yeah let em take him lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby MEcoog08 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
MEcoog08 wrote:I'm glad you can rejoice in our misery.

Congrats on the win.

you guys could still have a great season if you can beat Memphis and Louisville...especially the latter as that would bring recognition for Houston and the AAC. If your guys play like they did against us, Louisville will embarrass the Cougs

I like your optimism but Louisville is going to blow us out by at least 4 TDs. We are decimated as a team both physically and mentally it seems like.

Good news is that it looks like Chad Morris might have you guys turning a corner. Looking forward to exciting matchups against you all in the future.
MEcoog08

Next

Return to Football